• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop throws when using Quick Selection Tool in CC 2018 Ver. 19.0 (Win 10)

Explorer ,
Oct 31, 2017 Oct 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I create an adjustment layer and mask an area using the Quick Selection Tool, as soon as I click on "Select and Mask..." I get a Photoshop error that says "Could not apply the workspace because of a program error." To recover from this error, I create a new blank layer above the one I am working on, and when I create a mask for this new layer, I do not get an all-white mask as I should but instead the mask I created for the lower layer. I can then copy that mask down to the lower layer, delete the upper layer, and continue on. Of course, I am not able to go into the Select and Mask so I am not able to tweak what I selected with the tool in any way. Any idea what may be causing this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 31, 2017 Oct 31, 2017

HI

Try the following in this order (if any work stop there):

1. Go to Preferences >Performance > Graphics Processor > Advanced and uncheck Open CL. Test on a newly opened document

2. Go to Preferences and uncheck use Graphics Processor - if this works recheck it then change the advanced settings first to Basic , then normal and then advanced - testing each time on a newly opened document

3. Go to Preferences >General - Reset Preferences on Quit then close and restart Photoshop

4. Uninstall and Re-ins

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI

Try the following in this order (if any work stop there):

1. Go to Preferences >Performance > Graphics Processor > Advanced and uncheck Open CL. Test on a newly opened document

2. Go to Preferences and uncheck use Graphics Processor - if this works recheck it then change the advanced settings first to Basic , then normal and then advanced - testing each time on a newly opened document

3. Go to Preferences >General - Reset Preferences on Quit then close and restart Photoshop

4. Uninstall and Re-install Photoshop

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1) The OpenCL was already unchecked in my preferences

2) Unchecking "Graphics Processor" did not fix the problem so I did not try the "basic/advanced" choices

3) Bingo! "Preferences > General > Reset Preferences on Quit" did it! I've tested only twice but both times it worked correctly and no error message!

Thank you very much, davescm!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're welcome. Glad you have it sorted.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, try to reset Photoshop preferences and let us know.
How to delete/reset Photoshop preferences

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! I have already tried to reset the Photoshop preferences and it made no difference. I read somewhere in this forum that for others it has worked for one to three times, but for me it worked zero times. I am currently trying the suggestions of davescm and will let him know what happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Martin_Bns, I must have misread your reply to me the first time because on re-read I think what you were suggesting is that I go to "Preferences > General > Reset Preferences on Quit" and that did it! I had tried restoring default workspaces prior to this and it did not work, and that is what I was thinking of when I wrote my first reply to you. It turns out you were on the right track so thanks so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines