• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Export Each Alternate Layout to Separate PDF?

Explorer ,
Feb 21, 2017 Feb 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

I really like the Alternate Layout functionality of ID CC, but find it tedious when I have to export each layout to a separate pdf. Is there an existing way to do this in a batch, or a script that would do this for me, allowing me to choose a PDF Preset also?

Specs:

ID CC 2017

Win10

Thanks in advance for any and all replies!

-Andy

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 30, 2017 Oct 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, i am also trying to find exactly the same answer. I designed a simple log book with 15 different versions so i used alternate layouts. Now its finalised and i just need to export them all at once. It's ok its 15 only but what if i have 80 of them !?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 31, 2017 Oct 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use the appliedAlternateLayout property of a page to decide whether you want to export it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

http://www.kahrel.plus.com/indesign/pdf_individuals.html

This one has an option to export indd files by alternate layout, and you can select the layouts as well. Only thing is that you have to stick the files in a book file, but that's easy enough.

P.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Guys,

I also found a script that does the job ! Here you go :

Copy the below into a text file then rename it as : ExportAlternativeLayoutsAsPDF.jsx (make sure the .jsx is the extension of the file)

/*

Here is my solution (actually, not only mine - I found similar script and modified them to make it work the way you need).

This script ask you to choose PDF Export preset first (you can set necessary settings in:

File > Adobe PDF Presets > Define... dialog box,

then save preset, and choose it when you run this script).

Once you choosed Export Preset - click OK,

Script will save pdf files with your alternative layouts to the same folder where your InDesign file is saved,

with name of FileName_LayoutName.pdf

If you have suggestions of how to improve this code - feel free to contact me    

Oleh Melnyk  oleh.melnyk@gmail.com

5 November 2014

*/

pagesCount = app.activeDocument.pages.length;

alternativeLayout = []; // arrayes with alternative layouts names

fileName = app.activeDocument.name;

filePath = app.activeDocument.fullName.fsName;

fileNameWithPath = filePath.replace(/.indd/, ""); // remove indesign .indd extenstion, as we don't need it

// dirty way to get all alterative layouts names - there should be a better way, but for now I don't know how

for(i = 0; i < pagesCount; i++)

{   

if(alternativeLayout[alternativeLayout.length-1] != app.activeDocument.pages.appliedAlternateLayout.alternateLayout)

{

alternativeLayout.push(app.activeDocument.pages.appliedAlternateLayout.alternateLayout);

}

}

// CORE of the script from here: http://indisnip.wordpress.com/2010/08/02/simple-pdf-export-with-preset-selection/

presets = app.pdfExportPresets.everyItem().name;

presets.unshift("- Select PDF Preset -");

var win = new Window('dialog', 'PDF Export Presets');

win.orientation = 'row';

with(win){

win.header = add('statictext', undefined, 'Select PDF Export preset:');

win.PDFExport = add('dropdownlist',undefined,undefined,{items:presets});

win.PDFExport.selection = 0;

win.button = add('button', undefined, 'OK');

};

win.center();

window = win.show();

if(window == true && win.PDFExport.selection.index != 0)

{

preset = app.pdfExportPresets.item(String(win.PDFExport.selection));

for(l = 0; l < alternativeLayout.length; l++)

{

app.pdfExportPreferences.pageRange = alternativeLayout;

app.activeDocument.exportFile(ExportFormat.pdfType, (new File(fileNameWithPath + "_" + alternativeLayout + ".pdf")), false, preset);

}

}

else

{

alert("No PDF Preset selected");

}

Hope it helps, this works for me !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2017 Nov 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Strangely enough (or not so strange considering that this doesn't seem to be common practice), I came upon the same code that tristanc62106920 came across. I got in contact with the original author of the code and he kindly updated it to export interactive PDF files... with some extra options written in the code. Thanks to Oleh, and nice one Tristan - I didn't know enough to modify this myself.

The key difference here is that any interactive PDF, click/hide/show/hyperlink/roll over elements are maintained. This is not possible with a normal 'print preset'.

Same as above, copy or save into .jsx file and install into indesign. Feel free to modify the export setting through the code before exporting a file:

//DESCRIPTION: Export alternative layouts as interactive PDF files

#target indesign

/*

Here is my solution (actually, not only mine - I found similar script and modified them to make it work the way you need).

This script has been updated for Interactive PDF exporting but still shows a dropdown menu for print presets. Select any preset from the list and press okay to run the script. The PDF preset will be ignored in favour of an interactive PDF export with values selected in the code near the end. Choose JPG compression and PPI

UPDATE:

There's a chance that any preset settings would not be applied, since    app.interactivePDFExportPreferences (Interacticve PDF) is completly different from the app.pdfExportPreferences (Print PDF)    API: http://www.indesignjs.de/extendscriptAPI/indesign-latest/#InteractivePDFExportPreference.html

Oleh Melnyk  oleh.melnyk@gmail.com

Change log:

[created]    5 November 2014

[modified]   3 August 2017      (export to interactive PDF instaed of print PDF)

[modified]  18 August 2017     (fix export to interactive PDF - set export page range to app.interactivePDFExportPreferences insteadd of app.pdfExportPreferences)

*/

if(!app.activeDocument.saved){

var win = new Window('dialog', 'ERROR: Unsaved document');

win.orientation = 'column';

with(win){

win.header = add('statictext', undefined, 'You need to save your document (give it a name) before exporting to PDF');      

};

win.show();

exit();

}

var pagesCount = app.activeDocument.pages.length;

var alternativeLayout = []; // arrays with alternative layouts names

var filePath = app.activeDocument.fullName.fsName;

var fileNameWithPath = filePath.replace(/.indd/, ""); // remove indesign .indd extenstion, as we don't need it

// dirty way to get all alterative layouts names - there should be a better way, but for now I don't know how

for(var i = 0; i < pagesCount; i++){  

if(alternativeLayout[alternativeLayout.length-1] != app.activeDocument.pages.appliedAlternateLayout.alternateLayout){

alternativeLayout.push(app.activeDocument.pages.appliedAlternateLayout.alternateLayout);

i += app.activeDocument.pages.appliedAlternateLayout.alternateLayoutLength-1; // speed up searching for the next alt layout

}

}

// CORE of the script from here: http://indisnip.wordpress.com/2010/08/02/simple-pdf-export-with-preset-selection/

var presets = app.pdfExportPresets.everyItem().name;

win.orientation = 'row';

with(win){

};

win.center();

window = win.show();

if(window == true && win.PDFExport.selection.index != 0){

for(var alt = 0; alt < alternativeLayout.length; alt++){

app.interactivePDFExportPreferences.pageRange = alternativeLayout[alt];

app.interactivePDFExportPreferences.pdfMagnification = PdfMagnificationOptions.FIT_PAGE; // General > Viewing > View

app.interactivePDFExportPreferences.pdfPageLayout = PageLayoutOptions.SINGLE_PAGE; // General > Viewing > Layout

app.interactivePDFExportPreferences.viewPDF = false; // General > Options > View after exporting

//app.interactivePDFExportPreferences.pdfRasterCompression = PDFRasterComprestionOptions.JPEG_COMPRESSION; // Compression > Image Compresion > Compresion

app.interactivePDFExportPreferences.pdfJPEGQuality = PDFJPEGQualityOptions.HIGH; // Compression > Image Compresion > JPEG Quality

app.interactivePDFExportPreferences.rasterResolution = 100; // Compression > Resolution (ppi)

app.activeDocument.exportFile(ExportFormat.INTERACTIVE_PDF, (new File(fileNameWithPath + "_" + alternativeLayout[alt] + ".pdf")), false, preset);

}

}else{

var win = new Window('dialog', 'ERROR: No PDF Preset selected');

with(win){

win.header = add('statictext', undefined, 'You need to select PDF Preset before exporting to PDF');      

};

win.show();

exit();

}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2021 Jan 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm getting this error:

Schermafbeelding 2021-01-05 om 14.55.44.png

What am i doing wrong?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jan 06, 2021 Jan 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @ronaldv46449794,
I'm surprised this script ever worked for the people who posted it.
I corrected the version of anthonyoe, which exports an interactive PDF!
Not something I would recommend for PDFs used for printing.

#target indesign

/*
    This script has been updated for Interactive PDF exporting but still shows a dropdown menu for print presets. Select any preset from the list and press okay to run the script. The PDF preset will be ignored in favour of an interactive PDF export with values selected in the code near the end. Choose JPG compression and PPI

UPDATE:
    There's a chance that any preset settings would not be applied, since    app.interactivePDFExportPreferences (Interacticve PDF) is completly different from the app.pdfExportPreferences (Print PDF)    API: http://www.indesignjs.de/extendscriptAPI/indesign-latest/#InteractivePDFExportPreference.html

Oleh Melnyk  oleh.melnyk@gmail.com

Change log:
    [created]    5 November 2014
    [modified]     3 August 2017      (export to interactive PDF instaed of print PDF)
    [modified]    18 August 2017      (fix export to interactive PDF - set export page range to app.interactivePDFExportPreferences insteadd of app.pdfExportPreferences)
    [modified]    6 January 2021      (changed for-loop of fetching alternative layouts to an one-liner
*/

with(win){
        win.header = add('statictext', undefined, 'You need to save your document (give it a name) before exporting to PDF');
    };
    win.show();
    exit();
}

var fileNameWithPath = filePath.replace(/.indd/, ""); // remove indesign .indd extenstion, as we don't need it

var alternativeLayout = app.activeDocument.sections.everyItem().alternateLayout;

win.orientation = 'row';

with(win){

};

win.center();

var window = win.show();

app.interactivePDFExportPreferences.pdfMagnification = PdfMagnificationOptions.FIT_PAGE; // General > Viewing > View
            app.interactivePDFExportPreferences.pdfPageLayout = PageLayoutOptions.SINGLE_PAGE; // General > Viewing > Layout
            app.interactivePDFExportPreferences.viewPDF = false; // General > Options > View after exporting
            //app.interactivePDFExportPreferences.pdfRasterCompression = PDFRasterComprestionOptions.JPEG_COMPRESSION; // Compression > Image Compresion > Compresion
            app.interactivePDFExportPreferences.pdfJPEGQuality = PDFJPEGQualityOptions.HIGH; // Compression > Image Compresion > JPEG Quality
            app.interactivePDFExportPreferences.rasterResolution = 100; // Compression > Resolution (ppi)

app.activeDocument.exportFile(ExportFormat.INTERACTIVE_PDF, (new File(fileNameWithPath + "_" + alternativeLayout[alt] + ".pdf")), false, preset);
        }

} else {

with(win){
                win.header = add('statictext', undefined, 'You need to select PDF Preset before exporting to PDF');
            };

win.show();
        exit();
}

For the record – I changed the first for-loop fetching the alternate layouts. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2021 Jan 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot! I tweaked te script a little bit to get high-res images for print. This works for me!

#target indesign

/*

UPDATE:
There's a chance that any preset settings would not be applied, since app.interactivePDFExportPreferences (Interacticve PDF) is completly different from the app.pdfExportPreferences (Print PDF) API: http://www.indesignjs.de/extendscriptAPI/indesign-latest/#InteractivePDFExportPreference.html

Oleh Melnyk oleh.melnyk@gmail.com

Change log:
[created] 5 November 2014
[modified] 3 August 2017 (export to interactive PDF instaed of print PDF)
[modified] 18 August 2017 (fix export to interactive PDF - set export page range to app.interactivePDFExportPreferences insteadd of app.pdfExportPreferences)
[modified] 6 January 2021 (changed for-loop of fetching alternative layouts to an one-liner
*/

with(win){
};
win.show();
exit();
}

var alternativeLayout = app.activeDocument.sections.everyItem().alternateLayout;

win.orientation = 'row';

with(win){

};

win.center();

var window = win.show();

app.interactivePDFExportPreferences.viewPDF = true; // General > Options > View after exporting
app.interactivePDFExportPreferences.pdfJPEGQuality = PDFJPEGQualityOptions.MAXIMUM; // Compression > Image Compresion > JPEG Quality
app.interactivePDFExportPreferences.rasterResolution = 300; // Compression > Resolution (ppi)

}

} else {

with(win){
};

win.show();
exit();
}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jan 07, 2021 Jan 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @JK-82,

if you want a PDF for print, I highly recommend changing
ExportFormat.INTERACTIVE_PDF to ExportFormat.PDF_TYPE
and 
app.interactivePDFExportPreferences.pageRange to app.pdfExportPreferences.pageRange

All other app.interactivePDFExport... stuff can be removed then.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 09, 2023 May 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Jens Trost and @JK-82, this script doesn't seem to work any more. It was the only thing I could find that worked for what I was doing. If there's any chance someone could look into it I would be extremely grateful. Thank you for putting the script together in the first place!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 19, 2023 Apr 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This doesnt seem to work anymore

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jul 22, 2023 Jul 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @laetitia1127 & @toms44193981 
a little bit late in the game but can you please be more specific?
Do you get an error message? If so please share a screenshot. What InDesign version do you use?

I just tried JK's version of the script and it works fine in InDesign 17.4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 24, 2023 Jul 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh hi! I appreciate the reply, even if it's been a while! I don't get any error messages at all,  it runs the program like normal but the resulting files all contain the entire document, they're not split up. I'm running InDesign 18.4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jul 31, 2023 Jul 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @laetitia1127 

so yea, it depends on what type of PDF you want to export: interactive PDF or a "normal" PDF ... depending on which you want, the script has to use different properties.
JK's version is for interactive pdf. I could be wrong, but using pdfExportPresets with interactive properties and interactive export could cause the issue since you don't have presets when you export interactive PDFs. So there is a mismatch and then InDesign reverts back to exporting everything.

Here is the version for non-interactive PDFs (print and everything else beside interactive) which should work

with(win){
    };
    win.show();
    exit();
}

win.orientation = 'row';

with(win){
};

win.center();

var window = win.show();

app.pdfExportPreferences.pageRange = alternativeLayout[alt];
        app.activeDocument.exportFile(ExportFormat.PDF_TYPE, (new File(fileNameWithPath + "_" + alternativeLayout[alt] + ".pdf")), false, preset);
    }
} else {

with(win){
    };

win.show();
    exit();
}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jens Trost It worked!! That's amazing, you've saved me several hours of work (I have 60 versions of an envelope, each with slight differences on both sides so each version is 2 spreads). Thank you so much for coming back to this post!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jens Trost I saw your edit and wanted to add, I was exporting with presets for Print pdf files, so it's very possible the Interactive PDF lines were what was causing it to not complete.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 03, 2023 Aug 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Jens Trost ,

I`m having the same problem exporting multiple layouts and the whole discussion helped me a lot, but unfortunately the code is not working here 😞 
Does anyone know how I can fix it?

I'll keep testing the previous scripst posted here,  thanks in advance!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I GOT IT!!!!

the problem was me 🙂 

I was using word to create the file and changing the .docx extension to .jsx manually, so the indesign wasn`t properlly reading the file. I pasted the code in VS Code (online) and saved the file.

Thanks again for the code! Saved me a bunch of time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Felipe5F89 can you post the .jsx file you're using? It looks like an error in the code itself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Felipe5F89  nevermind! Always great when it's an easy fix! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines