• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Local Copy - Smart Preview vs. Original

New Here ,
Oct 26, 2017 Oct 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Browsing through my catalogue I notice that in the Sync Status panel (bottom of info pane) some images say "Local Copy: Smart Preview", and others say "Local Copy: Original".

From what I gather the Smart preview is a light weight version of the image that requires much less storage space, and I assume if I make an edit to something that is a Smart Preview those edits will sync back to the original in the cloud.

Is there anything i can do to influence whether local copies are full size originals or smart  previews, or should I just leave that to the software to decide as it manages local storage space? I have a 512Gb SSD and have set the allowable local storage to be 40% of available on the assumption that this would allow me to keep a larger number of local copies. However, if making this allocation smaller will drive Lightroom to keep Smart Previews rather than Originals locally, without requiring me to download every image I want to edit then this would be a good solution!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 26, 2017 Oct 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, Smart Previews are smaller files that can be edited and edit will sync throughout the ecosystem.

In Square Grid View you can select the icon at the bottom right to download the image locally.

LrCC will use either Smart Previews or Originals depending on what edits are being made I believe.

Setting the local storage slider low will save disc space but require more images to be downloaded for  editing (slightly slower) and vice versa.

It’s probably best to let the software decide and alter if it isn’t working for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 30, 2017 Oct 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a similar question - I assume the "Open in Detail" option from the Filmstrip is the way to work off of the original instead of the smart preview?  If so, it doesn't seem to work.  I have tried clicking on Open in Detail with several pics and nothing changes - still low-res and the "Sync Status" still says Local copy is "Smart Preview.  Anyone have a similar issue?  This is in the Info tab.  My slider there to "Store Original Locally" is greyed out and cannot be changed for some reason.  Hopefully this is just user error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 30, 2017 Oct 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At first I thought I was having a similar issue. I was uploading though. As soon as that finished and I went to edit a Photo with a Local Smart Preview, it changed to Original.

If the little slider is greyed out, it suggests it cannot get the Original. Was it synced from a Classic Collection?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 31, 2017 Oct 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply - yes, it was synced from Lightroom Classic.  In Classic, most of my pictures say "Original + Smart Preview", yet when I use Lightroom CC on my laptop, they all say "Local - Smart Preview" and "Cloud - Smart Preview Only" and when I hover over the little sync status button on the picture in the "grid view", it says "there is no original backed up tot he cloud but a smart preview is available".  I confirmed this for the same pictures between Classic and CC.  Makes no sense to me, unless there is a setting somewhere that I have to update to add the original to the cloud?  I can't find an option like that anywhere.  Very frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lr Classic only Syncs Smart Previews to Lr CC/the Cloud via a Synced Collection.

If you want Originals in the Cloud then you have a few options. One is to Migrate your whole Catalog, this will add all originals to the Cloud but you may not want to do this (Cost/Workflow etc.). Although if you do, read Adobe's guide thoroughly and soak up as much info as you can before making a decision.

If you want you just have the Originals up in the Cloud for your Sync Classic Collections, you can import these directly into LrCC and these 'should' just overwrite the Smart Previews.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you - for the last option - just have the Originals up in the Cloud, would I export the RAW file or the DNG?  I am assuming DNG...  Then when I import the files into LrCC, it will automatically overwrite the smart previews (even if it is DNG and not RAW file)?  My assumption is that if I export as RAW I will lose all of my Lr edits...  Not sure why this has to be so confusing! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whatever the format is in Classic should be fine. Test it with one to make sure you’re happy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got it.  That worked.  Seems like there should be an option somewhere to sync both originals and smart preview from Classic.  I am going to have to hunt and peck a bunch of these photos where only the smart preview is in the cloud.  Some have the original already there while others don't... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 01, 2017 Nov 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you go to Square Grid view, at the bottom right of each photo there is an icon, which denotes Original or Smart Preview.

At the bottom of this link is a guide.....

Learn how to organize your photos in Lightroom CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines