• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Placing smart objects in center of document

Explorer ,
Nov 01, 2017 Nov 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had same frustrating issue with new CC. Previously, when I drag&drop file from system folder to palce it as a smart object in document it was placed centered. So when I place document size for ex. 600x600 px in 600x600 px photoshop document all was perfect fit without any additional moves. Now each time I have postitioning it in center, becouse Smarts are placed in place when coursor is. It is a lot wase of time for me each time placing it in center, so is there any solution with that change in newest Photoshop other than unnecesary keeping on disk prevoius CC instaled for that job.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Nov 15, 2017 Nov 15, 2017

I don't believe. Adobe fix it with latest update!

But yet, it is still sad, that Adobe released software for tests on users, than release it functional at very begining.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yea, there was a change. It's been reported to Adobe, I don't know if they'll do anything about it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anybody have an idea why it was even changed? For what? Any reasonable cause, other than broke something which was working...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most likely broke something. Making changes to PS code, often results in unexpected breaks elsewhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 07, 2017 Nov 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a major annoyance for me as well. Currently, your images will drop where ever your cursor lands on the artboard. You can set guides on your doc and drop multiple images as close as you can to that center point. Not ideal, but hopefully a temporary solution. Also, you can always use the Place Embedded command under the File menu. Note: this only works for one image at a time. Again, not ideal, but will center and auto-size to your artboard. Hopefully, Adobe will fix this issue fast.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I use File > Place > (either embedded or linked) it places it dead center.

Also, if you select the file on your desktop, or in a folder somewhere and just copy it, then in Photoshop choose Paste In Place, it will place it dead center for you as well. Then you can convert it to a Smart Object if needed. If you do regular paste it aligns to the top left corner, which in your example would be fine because they are the same dimensions.

Hopefully that helps with your workflow while Adobe fixes the drag and drop alignment control.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, to be honest it is all completly useless. I'm working on two screens so it was the quickest way to placing files draging in from folder on second monitor. All this ways you noticed are wasting of time with so many unnecessary clicking. It was like that. Drag and drop and its done. Quick and simple. Placed in center and match to size of document. To place it from menu it's waste of time moving mouse each time on File menu, then clicking place  (as there is no keyboard shortcut for placing object!), then clicking file. The same with copying and transform it to SmatObject. Press copy, press paste, moving to layers, clik on layer, choose Convert to... Even writing about it show how long it takes than before, and it is frustrated when you working with bigger amount of files to place in documents. And I have no idea what reason even could be, to placing document when cursor is. Maybe when its placed in orginall size, but placing also resized is completly inexplicable for me.

So the best solution is for me working on previous Photoshop. And then I found another bug from Adobe, in the CC app for Windows. When I have installed two versions of any applications this app shows only one version installed. So it is hard to controll which apps are installed. Yes, another bug for Adobe releasing such unncompleted software. And each year is even worst. Instead finding new features first days after release is finding so much iritating bugs and changings with no reason in each software I'm using, and that isn't funny any more. Not for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It definitely appears to be a bug.

Because if you open images as other tabs in Photoshop you can drag them from the open file into the destination and while holding shift it places it dead center like previous versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 15, 2017 Nov 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't believe. Adobe fix it with latest update!

But yet, it is still sad, that Adobe released software for tests on users, than release it functional at very begining.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 15, 2017 Nov 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are so many different types of work flows, that it's nearly impossible to test everything, or to catch things like this, unless you actually use that feature in your own work flow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 19, 2017 Nov 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That is no excuse. When company broke someone that was working since many versions it is bug with no excuse. It is paid too much for it, to test on users, and braking things that was working. This is not only this case. Each year with new update first days are not trying new functions, but making bug reports for Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines