• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Latest new CC apps - what is going on with naming/versioning?

Explorer ,
Oct 19, 2017 Oct 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

On opening Adobe CC system tray app in Windows 7 today I am seeing apps "doubled" up - those with "2017" suffixes and those without, both of which have "Update" as the primary action. Confused so far? Read on..

AdobeCC_Apps.png

After choosing to update these apps I now get, for example, two versions of Photoshop listed in Windows:

Windows7_AdobeCC_Photoshop.png

The "2018" version name doesn't match what was listed in the Adobe CC update window (which was presumably the non-2017 suffixed version), or the product name/version information displayed in the splash screens or Help > About dialogs. I can run both 2017 and 2018 versions, but not at the same time. Comparison of Splash/About menus below.

Photoshop 2017 Splash screen:

AdobeCC_Photoshop2017_SplashScreen.png

Photoshop 2018 Splash screen:

AdobeCC_Photoshop2018_SplashScreen.png

Photoshop 2017 Help > About dialog:

AdobeCC_Photoshop2017_HelpAbout.png

Photoshop 2018 Help > About dialog:

AdobeCC_Photoshop2018_HelpAbout.png

On the Adobe Photoshop "Features" page the product name on your timeline for October 18th 2017 omits any version information at all, compared to previous timeline versions, e.g. Photoshop CC (2017.0.1):

Photoshop CC new features | More library asset support

Retaining old versions and installing new ones wasn't mentioned in the Adobe email announcing the new apps, or the click-through page (Latest Creative Cloud version | Adobe Creative Cloud features), so all a bit confusing.

Thanks,

Blake

TOPICS
Creative Cloud

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update: It seems most of the 2017 versions have now disappeared in both the Adobe Creative Cloud updater window and Windows 7 Start Menu. However, I am still left with Photoshop 2017 and 2018 versions. Is this intentional?

The fact that this has largely resolved itself since my earlier post doesn't negate what feels like a poorly managed upgrade/update experience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have 2 versions of Illustrator. Is this correct? Should I have this?

On Thu, 19 Oct 2017 at 16:39 blakeg26903965 <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same, two versions of Photoshop & Illustrator. A 2017 & a 2018 . . . and I'm on an Apple MacBook Pro . . .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MacBook Pro here too.

All the 2017 versions have broken uninstaller aliases so I figured they were just leftovers. I had a 2017 and 2018 folder for almost every app after upgrading.

I just deleted the 2017 folders and everything seems to be fine.

Someday CC maintenance will actually be intuitive and streamlined. Today is not that day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

after reading your comment I went into applications folder of my Mac and searched the delete application app, hit that, the 2017 application was removed, including all attached files/preferences and I think i'm good to go with just the 2018 left installed.

thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 25, 2017 Oct 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to hear about similar issues on Mac, presumed it was just poor Windows experience.

>>  Someday CC maintenance will actually be intuitive and streamlined. Today is not that day.

Indeed. CC launched in 2011 so you'd have thought Adobe would be on top of this by now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 02, 2017 Nov 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am having a similar issue with CC and Windows 10, but have not yet done the updates.

I am hoping someone can provide an explanation for two updates per app before I procede.

My thought is one update is for the older 2017 app and the other update is the latest versions.

That is the Photoshop CC (2017) will update the existing Photoshop CC (2017), while the Photoshop CC update will actually install a new Photoshop CC app.

I think by default the update should remove the older app. Update apps to the October 2017 release of Adobe Creative Cloud

Anyway, I don't know what I am talking about, so this probably makes no sense!    

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It also appears several of my previously working Adobe file extensions associations are now broken in Windows 7 and need manually fixing. Sigh.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines