Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator Mysteries

Participant ,
Nov 03, 2017 Nov 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hellos,

Currently got an issue when trying to step artwork.

This doesn't always happen but when it does, it can be a pain

Here is the breakdown of the layers:

http://prntscr.com/h5p9nr

Here is what happens when i use the object.translate(x, y) function:

Gyazo - a240e5de488c00c087820eb94ad1b500.gif

and here is what happens when i change the position using object.position[x, y];

Gyazo - 5ccbe3e644e3648db674f2ac0ccaa5b0.gif

.ai file and the .jsx file i used for testing:

WeTransfer

If you try to click the original object, you won't be able to click to the image thats on top when you ungroup the artwork.

Cant see any attributes in the panels that might show when this happens or what might help.

Anyone had similar experiences?

Originally the object was in a bigger clipping mask (so should be all clipped up) and all the other objects were doing what they should but all the other duplicated objects would not display the shadow object.

Kind regards

Ben Mason

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 03, 2017 Nov 03, 2017

check out moluapple's and Silly-V's dirty workarounds

Scripts Don't Move Opacity Masks

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

can you share the actual file? or at least create another file with the same kind of properties if there's some confidentiality issues with sharing the original file?

It's hard to look at a gif and see what's going on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply, on the initial post there is a WeTransfer link containing the script and .ai file i was using in my tests

WeTransfer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

woops. turns out i'm dumb and/or illiterate. lol. i'll take a look

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No worries, thank you for having a look. Not sure if i'm missing something pretty simple or if it is something going on with the object itself.

Hopefully you can see something im missing.

Also, to add to my lil report.

If you go to Object > Flatten Transparency and then keep the 'Preserve Alpha Transparency ticked, the script will work fine.

Must be the make up of the object somehow

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bummer. i can't get to that link from behind my firewall

If you can share it on google drive or dropbox, i can get to it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm. it appears that when you make an opacity mask between a raster image and a pathItem, even though they are a part of the exact same object, in fact the layers panel shows that it's a simple path item (i was able to recreate the exact items you had in your test file without any clipping masks or groups), when you move that item, the path moves and the image is left behind.

You can test this by releasing the opacity mask after the move. and you'll see the image is in the exact same place as it was.

I don't know how to overcome that... I peered through the properties of the path item and i can't see anything relating to the opacity mask or the image itself... =(

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought this might be the case i had a look through the js doc and couldnt find anything of use either,

just going to have to keep my eye out in the future and if i see anything missing (could be tricky at times) just have to go back and do the flatten transparency trick. Not going to be able to do it all the time as flattening the transparency removes overprints and named colours D:

Thank your time to look at this issue, appreciate it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

check out moluapple's and Silly-V's dirty workarounds

Scripts Don't Move Opacity Masks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines