• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Resolve Broken Links with No Reference

New Here ,
Mar 08, 2007 Mar 08, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have many broken links in a webhelp project that I cannot resolve because there is no reference. Is there a way to delete broken links?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 08, 2007 Mar 08, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you double click one of the broken links it should open a dialog that allows you to edit the topic with the link. Is that not happening?

If it is just that you cannot see a link in WYSIWYG, search in true code view. I have seen links that are damaged so they don't appear in WYSIWYG but do have the information that is driving the broken link report.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 26, 2008 Nov 26, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have a similar problem and cannot seem to get rid of a bunch of broken links.

Basically at some point this project file had an html subfolder that was taken out. Consequently many topics had html\<topicname>.htm and then became <topicname>.htm.

My problem is now that these files with the html\ folder are under broken links and now don't reference or link to anything if I right-click on them. I cannot restore them, delete them, or edit them in any way.

I find that it is also creating problems when the WebHelp is generated and put on our server, several topics give a "file not found" error because they are searching for html\ in the filename and of course cannot find it. I have fixed these by searching and getting rid of any reference to \html in the topic files, but a few still don't link properly. Even after creating a new table of contents and re-linking all topics and images it does the same, AND has these broken links still listed.

Any ideas? I realize this may be several problems. I think someone in the past deleted the html folder outside of RoboHelp and it messed everything up. We are taking about a Help file with over 700 topics, so it is a real beast to work with.

Thanks,
Joel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 27, 2008 Nov 27, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So the topics that were in the html folder are still in the project but in a different location?

If so you could use a multi file find and replace tool such as FAR from http://www.helpware.net or BKReplaceEm. Locate one reference in a topic and then use the tool to amend the path in all topics.

Create a backup of your project first. Important.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2008 Dec 03, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Thanks for the advice, when I get the time I'll try it out :)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp