• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't change the local storage to external drive in lightroom cc to migrate big catalog

Community Beginner ,
Oct 22, 2017 Oct 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Since i'm trying to migrate a rather big catalog file of about 500GB (which is still just a small subset of my main catalog) I read that it's possible to change the local storage to use an external hard drive. For some reason the settings still doesn't seem to get applied (although I'm course restarting the application (also reinstalled, tried to move the program files to the external hard drive to run it from there, but without success).

Upon migration it still gives an error that i don't have sufficient space on my main drive, even though i have changed to the external drive WITH sufficient space.. Very annoying and would be very grateful for help!

br

Per

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Nov 04, 2017 Nov 04, 2017

Hi,

The guide did not help in my case, but i figured out what the issue was on my own. The problem was that the catalog file held a lot of previews and therefore when starting the import i didn't have sufficient temporary storage space on my local drive to initiate the import even though i had sufficient space on my external hard drive.

Now i have another issue though, since after the import my cloud storage seems to still hold some files from the failed import. I imported approximately 500GB of

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 23, 2017 Oct 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Per,

Could you please refer thislink and let us know if it helps: Possible errors | Migrating photos to Lightroom CC

Regards,

Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 04, 2017 Nov 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

The guide did not help in my case, but i figured out what the issue was on my own. The problem was that the catalog file held a lot of previews and therefore when starting the import i didn't have sufficient temporary storage space on my local drive to initiate the import even though i had sufficient space on my external hard drive.

Now i have another issue though, since after the import my cloud storage seems to still hold some files from the failed import. I imported approximately 500GB of photos, but lightroom says i have used 715GB. How come it's such a huge difference in the storage? Could some of the files i imported initially have been left in the cloud somehow and not been replaced by the new import?

Br

Per

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines