1 2 3 Previous Next 83 Replies Latest reply on Nov 23, 2017 1:47 AM by Till Lo Go to original post
      • 40. Re: Elements 13, Google Maps Not Displaying in Places View
        Franck-FR Level 1

Dear Richard,

The first thing to take care in your quotations is to check if your camera is supported by the software that you gonna use : check if the RAW file format of your camera is supported. It is a very bad limitation if you cannot handle your RAW files.

For the other parameters, most of the softwares handle correctly the pictures.
        Here a non-exhaustive list of (main) softwares that include picture manager and editing functions (for Windows) :

- ACDSEE (not all RAW files supported);

- Corel Paintshop Pro + Corel after shot pro (the most similar software, that is well used and well known usually) => pay attention, does not handle every RAW format.

Other solution, free of charge :
        - Xnview + geotag (phone app) to tagg your photo (GPS coordinates);- Xnview + Google Earth + exif tool add-on to read the GPS coordinates

=> Xnview is good software, but some limitations at tag editing (IPTC at first, to my mind).

- Adobe Bridge (free of charge) => good manager for pitcures (but Adobe dependency);

- plus Raw Therapee for RAW and other format advanced editing => This software is excellent, equal at lightroom on many specifications. The inconvenient is that it is complicated to handle (you will need some time to grasp all of the potential of this excellent free editor).

- Gimp : equal to Photoshop, but complicated to handle. Most of the job can be done by Rawtherapee for someone who is able to make the right picture with the camera directly, but not by processing it and modifying it for hours in a software.

As I told before, i do not give more of my money to a supplier who reverse the roles and consider its customers as some "*****" or as pity "suppliers". Unfortunately, we have to admit that Adobe is the rare one who mixed by a good way "simplicity" and "efficiency" in their softwares. But, even professional photographers are mostly fed-up with their commercial and sales rules (subscriptions, obsolescence).

By a way, the consumer is the right one who can change those pity "business rules" that firms like Adobe fix on their own (don't become a "business product"). If customers find and use alternates software (and lasting solutions), then Adobe politic can, slowly, but surely, becomes an obsolescence (at first their business new model). People have to know and grasp that, in the end, Adobe does not support a licence more than one year (I.E. PSE 14)... Their silence is a perfect evidence of that.

Best regards.

P.S. : Despite the unsolved situation about this maps bug in PSE old licences, I'd like to thank Miss Anwesha who informed us about the situation by this link : Map does not load in Elements Organizer 11, 12, 13, and 14 . The only one to blame by a way about this lack of support, as their is no fix published for now, is Adobe after sales department.

1 person found this helpful
        • 41. Re: Elements 13, Google Maps Not Displaying in Places View
          richardh25098052

Hi Michel,

I'm running Photoshop 12 and am, of course, experiencing the same Places problem as others.  So I took your advice and installed Photoshop 15 for a free 30 day trial.

A couple of points that may help other users if they decide to go this route:

1. When Photoshop 15 first opens (after downloading and installing) you are asked if you want to convert your catalog.  You should answer "Yes".  This creates a new vesion of the catalog.  Your old version of Photoshop will still point to the original, unconverted catalog.  I made the mistake of saying "No" and had to go through additional steps to get Photoshop 15 working as desired.  Once it was working, Places also works as expected.
          2. There is no free trial message when you open the Photoshop 15 Organizer, that only hapens when you open the Photoshop 15 Editor for the first time.  I cancelled out of the Photoshop 15 Editor without invoking the 30 day trial.  I then created a copy of the Photoshop 12 Editor in the same folder as the original Photoshop 12 Editor and set up a "Supplementary Editing Application" in the "Photoshop 15 Preferences - Editing".  Here is the path I browsed to to use my copy of the Photoshop 12 editor - "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 12\PhotoshopElementsEditor12.exe" (of course this is a Windows 10 folder).  It is necessary to make a copy with a new name otherwise Photoshop detects a conflict between editors.  Also leave the copy in the same folder as the original.  If you move it to the same folder as the Photoshop 15 editor it will not work, this may be because of 64-bit compatability issues.
          3. I don't know what will happen after 30 days.  For this reason I won't be doing any changes in Photoshop 12 or 15 for this time period.  Because they are using two different catalogs any changes done in the one will not be available to the other.  If I were to start using Photoshop 15 and it stopped working after 30 days I don't think I would have the ability to down-convert the catalog to my Photoshop 12 version.  I'd be forced to purchase the Photoshop 15 verison (or lose any changes I'd made) which is what I'm trying to avoid since, until recently, Photoshop 12 was working fine.

Preferences.jpg

Thanks for the suggestion Michel,

Richard

• 42. Re: Elements 13, Google Maps Not Displaying in Places View
            trevorc41742375

I purchased my copy of Adobe PSE14 from an Australian retail store less than 1 year ago. Consumer law in Australia says that a product should be fit for purpose for a reasonable time. Less than 1 year is by no stretch of imagination a "reasonable time", that has been found in law generally to mean several years as a minimum. Therefore (in Australia, and I suspect all of Europe too), Adobe are obligated by law to make their product work, as described in the original documentation, for several years, as a minimum. No "waiver" clause in the terms and conditions can remove this consumer protection. Adobe are obligated by law to fix the product, or give me a replacement (free upgrade to PSE 15?). I am uncertain whether a refund of the purchase is acceptable or not, because the photos I have cannot be viewed properly on the map. I will be taking it up with the store I purchased the product from (Office Works).

• 43. Re: Elements 13, Google Maps Not Displaying in Places View
              MichelBParis Adobe Community Professional & MVP

richardh25098052  wrote

Hi Michel,

I'm running Photoshop 12 and am, of course, experiencing the same Places problem as others.  So I took your advice and installed Photoshop 15 for a free 30 day trial.

1. I don't know what will happen after 30 days.  For this reason I won't be doing any changes in Photoshop 12 or 15 for this time period.  Because they are using two different catalogs any changes done in the one will not be available to the other.  If I were to start using Photoshop 15 and it stopped working after 30 days I don't think I would have the ability to down-convert the catalog to my Photoshop 12 version.  I'd be forced to purchase the Photoshop 15 verison (or lose any changes I'd made) which is what I'm trying to avoid since, until recently, Photoshop 12 was working fine.

Richard,

The problem of 'backward compatibility' is more general than the issue in the present discussion.

Another instance: you have PSE15, which requires a 64-bits hardware on your main computer, and you have another computer, an old laptop which can't be updated to PSE15. While such problem is not general, it's much more frequent than the map issue in the present discussion (many users don't care at all for maps even if they do care for location and use their own customized places hierarchy).

I had that situation recently and I solved it like this.

The PSE15 installation created a catalog in the new format, leaving the previous version catalog intact.

One solution would have been to continue managing my images in the old PSE1x catalog, and re-converting  to PSE15 when necessary.

I preferred to set the PSE15 catalog as the master one. All my tagging and organization is made in PSE15.

When needed, I select the recent import batches, write metadata to files. I know that my tags, captions, notes and ratings will be recovered if I export those files and import them in the old catalog. That works fine if my library is on an external drive.

I also know that I'll lose stacks, version sets and albums... For albums, most of them are only temporary ones; I assign a common keyword. For version sets or stacks, I use the  'visual search' to find possible duplicates which helps me recreate stacks.

The keyword hierarchy can be updated in the old computer via saving as a text file and reimporting the hierarchy.

I think it would be quite feasible to manage your catalog in PSE15 and to recover all your new organisation in PSE12 (apart from version sets, replaced by stacks) if you could not continue with PSE15.

Another thing to keep in mind when using any external editor: a version set is automatically created before sending to the external editor; you can't simply overwrite the original image.

Since you are trying the PSE15 version, check the power of the new search engine as well as the new 'instant fix' for batch editing.

• 44. Re: Elements 13, Google Maps Not Displaying in Places View
                paulg95263824

I'm a little more ancient as still using PSE12 and the problem is there too, but I am guessing the fix will be the same for all versions of the software.  So if solved for PSE 15 I would presume the same fix can be rolled out to all

• 45. Re: Elements 13, Google Maps Not Displaying in Places View
                  richardc89937301

Each time I use Elements 13 I am asked if I would like to install an update which I dutifully do in the hope and expectation that the Google maps facility will be re-installed.

I am deeply disappointed when no map appears – I am not certain if any improvements have been but definitely not the one I really want.

• 46. Re: Elements 13, Google Maps Not Displaying in Places View
                    annej46133642

I discover with horror the content of these exchanges ... Frankly Adobe is no longer up to par and continues to disappoint us!

It's been a year since I bought my version PSE 14 ... fortunately no more, it will allow me to recover less data in my next application that will do the job of ranking my photos correctly!

• 47. Re: Elements 13, Google Maps Not Displaying in Places View
                      sweepling Level 1

Dear Anwesha,

Please, please provide an update on this problem.

Regards.

• 48. Re: Elements 13, Google Maps Not Displaying in Places View
                        megagrumpyness

I have the same problem in PSE14. Please can Adobe give some idea when this problem will be fixed. I have checked whether it makes sense to upgrade to v15 but to pay £107 for what appears to be minimal increase in functionality seems to be ludicrous. If Adobe want to force people to upgrade they should change to a subscription method and I for one would then probably transfer to another method of organising my photos.

• 49. Re: Elements 13, Google Maps Not Displaying in Places View

megagrumpyness  wrote

I have checked whether it makes sense to upgrade to v15 but to pay £107 for what appears to be minimal increase in functionality seems to be ludicrous.

To be fair, the temporary workaround is to use the free 30 days trial version of PSE15, if you upgrade, it's £86,56 minus 20%.

It does not make sense to upgrade to version 15 as version 16 is expected soon.

Easy video editing, photo editing software | Adobe Elements family

for what appears to be minimal increase in functionality

Sorry, but version 15 offers the biggest improvement for the organizer... The powerful search engine, the batch edition possibilities among others are far more essential than the map feature. We may expect new features for PSE16 too.

I understand your frustration, but the best you can do now is to use the PSE15 free trial version for the moment. We may hope from a solution:

- from the culprit (Google)

- from Adobe, for customer care. Anyway, that won't be new versions for PSE11, 12, 13, 14...  I don't know if there is a possibility for a technical 'patch' without complete reinstallation. A totally free update to PSE15 (with editor) from older versions would be... unlikely.

- I did mention the possibility for Adobe to ensure that the trial version of PSE15 (or 16) would work freely for the organizer only after the 30 days period.

• 50. Re: Elements 13, Google Maps Not Displaying in Places View
                            Siger58

I thinking about upgrading to Corel Paintshop Pro

• 51. Re: Elements 13, Google Maps Not Displaying in Places View
                              megagrumpyness Level 1

Would it not be better to use Google Photos for organising dates and locations and use the PSE organiser for tagging faces, events etc. I assume that this would be fairly straightforward to do but maybe a little more cumbersome.

• 52. Re: Elements 13, Google Maps Not Displaying in Places View

megagrumpyness  wrote

Would it not be better to use Google Photos for organising dates and locations and use the PSE organiser for tagging faces, events etc. I assume that this would be fairly straightforward to do but maybe a little more cumbersome.

Old Elements users, since 1999 (the year I switched to digital) have always been able to use their own custom places hierarchy to organize their library. They  can still do like me.

- No problem to search by combining places, persons and dates criteria (no need to use Google place hierarchy)

- No useless job for the software to manage places for the majority of files where it's a meaningless criteria (for me, it's less than 15%, but I understand that regular travellers may want all their shots tagged). I only use the map service if I want to display, to show, travel albums. I still use the custom 'media' keywords hierarchy for the files where it's useful. And it's so fast to assign a place tag to a hundred pictures in a few clicks !

Linking the data in the organizer to a Map software is a good idea, but Google is already the second external service to be linked to Elements. We are now seeing the risk.

Also, if you consider that too few Elements users do take advantage of the Organizer, and that only a small part of them care about map display, I guess that the problem is not acute for Adobe.

- The current PSE15 version (the only one supported by Adobe) works

- There is a temporary workaround for 30 days...

- Still better if users do switch to the more powerful Lightroom

- No direct photo managing and organizing competitor with similar features (except... Google Photos )

• 53. Re: Elements 13, Google Maps Not Displaying in Places View
                                  medianima

More then 90 days and still no fix for the map issue.

I suppose Adobe is just going to wait for release 16 with a proper fix, which means users have to pay for the upgrade.

Time to look for alternatives products.

• 54. Re: Elements 13, Google Maps Not Displaying in Places View

medianima  wrote

More then 90 days and still no fix for the map issue.

The first post in this discussion is dated August 17th.

Adobe acknowledgment was on September 8th.

Map does not load in Elements Organizer 11, 12, 13, and 14

Probably a time zone lag...

Time to look for alternatives products.

Not a bad idea at all. If you can recommend reliable alternatives with a powerful organizer and editor, plus good interface for geotagging, that would be a good reason for Adobe to do something.

Edit (Oct 1st)

For instance, this post in the feedback forum about the free Geosetter.

ELEMENTS ORGANIZER - Create place tags from GPS data | Photoshop Family Customer Community

• 55. Re: Elements 13, Google Maps Not Displaying in Places View
                                      sweepling Level 1

Michael,

While I'll keep pressing this failing with Adobe, I am considering buying Lightroom 6 standalone, as I see that I can tell LR to edit using PSE14 (which I like).  However, can I export my PSE14 catalogue (with all the tags I've created - both normal and the Place, People tags of PSE14 etc) into LR and then update that 'master' catalogue thro' LR having edited an image in PSE?  I've tried the LR pages, but can't see the answer.

Regards.

• 56. Re: Elements 13, Google Maps Not Displaying in Places View

sweepling  wrote

Michael,

However, can I export my PSE14 catalogue (with all the tags I've created - both normal and the Place, People tags of PSE14 etc) into LR and then update that 'master' catalogue thro' LR having edited an image in PSE?  I've tried the LR pages, but can't see the answer.

Regards.

Not sure I understand totally your question. For instance, I have recently used the current Lightroom CC option to import an Elements catalog to create a LR catalog. Several hours for the conversion of 65.000 items. My tags are recovered, my albums are now collections... I don't use people recognition and  don't care much for geotagging (I'll leave regular LR users comment on LR geotagging features which look fine for me).

See the LR forums:

Photoshop Lightroom

and

Lightroom for Beginners

• 57. Re: Elements 13, Google Maps Not Displaying in Places View
                                          sweepling Level 1

Michael,

Many thanks for this response.  I've decided to bite the bullet and upgrade to PSE 15 (I know 16 is due out, but the Amazon upgrade price is good). I've found your other link ref upgrading PSE14 to 15 without loss of tags and I'll follow that.

I 'chatted' with Adobe yesterday to find that their free upgrade is valid only for 30 days after purchase.  Also, there was no forecast as to when the PSE14 geotagging patch would be available.

Keep up the good work.

Regards.

• 58. Re: Elements 13, Google Maps Not Displaying in Places View
                                            richardc89937301 Level 1

I will never ever again trust ADOBE.

I am about to purchase Coral Paintshop Pro x 8. Its face recognition & mapping facilities appear to be every bit as good if not better than Elements 13. Of course there is no guarantee Coral won’t do the same as ADOBE.

D

• 59. Re: Elements 13, Google Maps Not Displaying in Places View
                                              medianima Level 1

I'm thinking to use the geotagging features of Nikon View and move to Capture One or I'm going to buy the non CC version of Lightroom 6. Searching around I've found some deal under 100€ for the standalone version.

• 60. Re: Elements 13, Google Maps Not Displaying in Places View
                                                megagrumpyness Level 1

Anyone know when version 16 is going to be released?

• 61. Re: Elements 13, Google Maps Not Displaying in Places View
                                                  jr5732152 Level 1

Adobe ( or at least Anwesha) replied on August 15th 2017 (  Elements 13, Google Maps Not Displaying in Places View ) . There may be other Adobe comments earlier, probably not. Since it was FIXED in version 15, which was released a year ago, they have known about the problem for at least a year AND NOT FIXED IT IN OTHER VERSIONS. So, I think that saying that the estimate of more than 90 days is an understatement.

• 62. Re: Elements 13, Google Maps Not Displaying in Places View

The big problem with very long posts like this one and similar ones is that you can't expect people to read and undertand all.

I can't say anything new, but I can reapeat what has been already written.

jr5732152  wrote

Adobe ( or at least Anwesha) replied on August 15th 2017 (  Elements 13, Google Maps Not Displaying in Places View  ) . There may be other Adobe comments earlier, probably not. Since it was FIXED in version 15, which was released a year ago, they have known about the problem for at least a year AND NOT FIXED IT IN OTHER VERSIONS. So, I think that saying that the estimate of more than 90 days is an understatement.

What has been already written is that the first complaints were spotted on middle August.

Abruptly, Elements versions 11 to 14 ceased to be able to display Google maps.

Elements 15 NEVER had this problem.

There has been no change in the coding of Elements versions, old or current.

Nobody contest the fact that Google changed something at that date precisely, namely external softwares acess the necessary routines (APIs) to 'talk' to Google Maps.

So, there has been no FIX done to Elements 15. Remember that Elements 15 was issued exactly the 4th of October last year.

We can't know what kind of information Google gave to Adobe when Elements 15 was coded, maybe 18 monts ago. You are free to think that Google told evil Adobe in advance that the routines would be abruptly changed in 18 months, which made Adobe programmers change the way to access Google Maps via other routines. Others may think that Adobe had other reasons to use new routines and enhance its map feature...

We may consider two sides on the issue which causes much grief to a very small part of Elements users. The technical side and the commercial, consumer side.

Technical (computer software)

- if PSE15 works, it's because it uses the right routines

- there has been no FIX to PSE15

- a fix may be relatively simple and solved with an 'hotfix' solution like in version 13.1.1. It may need more serious reprogramming of the software requiring uninstalling and installing a new version. It's also risky, recent similar updates have triggered installation problems when you keep several versions together.

- Such a real FIX may be relatively fast to correct or may require long development and testing. Just look at the time Adove issues fixes for the CC subscription model. That may be 2 months to one year...

- Issueing a FIX, like a 15.1 update is not a trifle, it implies a lot of work from a lot of employees, and that may hinder the development of new versions.

- Even solutions for a workaround like using the trial version of the organizer 15 for free after 30 days may require technical as well as legal sides.

Now, the commercial, consumer side:

- No doubt Adobe has to do something, even if it has always been clear that they only support (issue fixes, patchs, updates) the current software version. Not only Elements. If you want permanent support, update via the subscription model. For Elements, pay the upgrade to the yearly new version. Adobe employees told they were working on that issue (for older versions, since the PSE15 current version works ok).

- Adobe must discuss the problem with Google, who is at the root of the issue. You'll never know anything about those discussions.

- Adobe has decided not to issue any update this year, even if there were more serious problems found

- Elements is NOT a key software for Adobe.

• 63. Re: Elements 13, Google Maps Not Displaying in Places View
                                                      trevorc41742375 Level 1

Thanks for clarifying the situation Michel.

I can add the following:-

As I purchased PSE/Premiere Elements14 combo from an Australian retailer, it is covered by Australian consumer protection legislation, which states that a product should perform to its original specification, for "a reasonable time", if not it must be fixed replaced or refunded.

Although this may or may not be the case in USA, I believe it is very much the case in Europe.

This consumer protection cannot be removed by any "contract" when it was sold.

Past cases have set precedents that 1 year for software that costs A$227.00 is not "a reasonable time", possibly 2, more likely 5 years may be accepted.

Of course the only redress I have is directly with the Australian retailer, and I will be pursuing this.

Meanwhile Adobe should be aware that their retailers around the world may well have contravened local consumer protection legislation.

Adobe  should be fixing this urgently, or giving free upgrades to PSE15.

Meanwhile they are rapidly destroying their own reputation.

• 64. Re: Elements 13, Google Maps Not Displaying in Places View
                                                        olhu4343

Hello MichelBParis,

- Adobe must discuss the problem with Google, who is at the root of the issue. You'll never know anything about those discussions.

Google has an API for Google maps and Adobe use this API in Elements 15 so that is the reason why it works.

Google Maps APIs  |  Google Developers

Adobe can change the API call in Elements 11-14.

>If you want permanent support, update via the subscription model. For Elements, pay the upgrade to the yearly new version.

I only want software thats work with the feature that I have payed in the past, not more features but not less than before.

Best regards

Oliver

• 65. Re: Elements 13, Google Maps Not Displaying in Places View

olhu4343  wrote

Hello MichelBParis,

What I said.

Google has an API for Google maps and Adobe use this API in Elements 15 so that is the reason why it works.

Google Maps APIs  |  Google Developers

Also what I said.

Adobe can change the API call in Elements 11-14.

No doubt Adobe could change the code and issue new updated versions for Elements 11, 12, 13,14.

No doubt either that Adobe has never made updated versions for non current softwares. Do you know many other software editors who do?

So, since you seem to have a good technical understanding of such softwares updates, do you think a 'hotfix' like in versions 13.1.1 could be provided to update only the way to change the API calls to Google Maps?

I am just another user like you and not here to be Adobe's advocate. As previously mentioned, this user to user forum is not the best place to complain to Adobe, the feedback forum is the one to use.

Photoshop Family Customer Community

>If you want permanent support, update via the subscription model. For Elements, pay the upgrade to the yearly new version.

I only want software thats work with the feature that I have payed in the past, not more features but not less than before.

I agree.

The problem is much more general that the present issue. Whether you like it or not, a software editor can't guarantee that features working by the time the software is current (OS version, driver changes, hardware new features...) will work 'perpetually' even with a perpetual license.There are so many problems with OS changes those last years that it's illusory that I will be able to still use my old PSE6 on my Windows 10. If you add that Windows 10 updates make it nearly impossible to roll back to older versions, the future is not brilliant. My consumer advice to other consumers is to be aware of the present situation: when comparing the annual cost of subscription to 'perpetual' licences, be realistic and consider the cost of upgrading every three or four years or so. That does not mean I don't agree with your last statement, Adobe has to find a solution.

• 66. Re: Elements 13, Google Maps Not Displaying in Places View
                                                            jr5732152 Level 1

• 67. Re: Elements 13, Google Maps Not Displaying in Places View
                                                              remic57174383 Level 1

Hello everybody,
                                                              I follow all the opinions on this question that many people are asking and I am very dissatisfied with the attitude of ADOBE that remains silent.
                                                              The solution is not to switch to PSE15 and pay this upgrade. The organizer of PSE15 has its own bugs, especially in full screen menus of the top bar become inacessible, PSE15 does not work properly in full screen mode. Adobe does not talk about this bug and yet it is well present. This is inaceptbale compared to the price that practical Adobe.
                                                              For a possible fix of the organizer bug PSE 11,12,13, 14 I think we will never see it.

• 68. Re: Elements 13, Google Maps Not Displaying in Places View
                                                                trevorc41742375 Level 1

Not only does PSE15 have the problems you mention, it also requires a 64 bit Windows system - some of us are still using 32 bit.

• 69. Re: Elements 13, Google Maps Not Displaying in Places View
                                                                  megagrumpyness Level 1

It looks like Adobe has just brought out a new version labeled 2018. Is this the same as v16? It looks as though you cannot upgrade from 14 to 2018 but the price for a new licence is less than the new price for v15 and only slightly more than the upgrade price for v15. Very confused!

• 70. Re: Elements 13, Google Maps Not Displaying in Places View
                                                                    DeeBee

anwesha

Your earlier and only response (so far) indicated that Adobe were looking into the issue and would reply "soon" - what exactly does Adobe define as "soon"?

As revealed elsewhere in this forum item, there is a new version due for release shortly entitled Elements 2018. I can at least get a price for an upgrade, but there's no detail on whether my earlier version can be upgraded.

If I choose to stay with Adobe, it seems I'm forced to purchase a similar product again, because Adobe are not seemingly prepared to support a product purchased relatively recently.

If you're not going to fix earlier versions, at least have the courage and business sense to advise your customers and we can then begin looking at our options. The continued silence does Adobe no credit at all.

PS: Edit - there is a second reply from Anwesha a little later, but again with no indication on timeframes for a solution

• 71. Re: Elements 13, Google Maps Not Displaying in Places View
                                                                      BLanellA

It's 10/5/17, the day after PSE 2018 was released. I bought it, installed it, and the map display is broken on the latest and greatest version. VERY disappointed.

• 72. Re: Elements 13, Google Maps Not Displaying in Places View

BLanellA  wrote

It's 10/5/17, the day after PSE 2018 was released. I bought it, installed it, and the map display is broken on the latest and greatest version. VERY disappointed.

??? The map works the same as in PSE15 for me.

• 73. Re: Elements 13, Google Maps Not Displaying in Places View
                                                                          BLanellA Level 1

Working for me now too. Apparently this feature is seriously dependent on a stable network connection. I tried searching Google Maps while Places wasn't working and GMaps was fine, email was fine, check a few more cites...fine. I caught a really fast message at one point in Places telling me that I had lost my network connection...I had a network connection, but Places had choked.

I'm in a hotel so who knows what's going on with that network.

So there Adobe. Let your customers troubleshoot your problems.

• 74. Re: Elements 13, Google Maps Not Displaying in Places View
                                                                            RamonJ

Since some time I read this forum and have the same issues in Elements 14. Many thousands of photos are categorized with tags and places! Only one post some time ago from Adobe, since then no updates on this problem... Why are we paying for your software, can we get an update please?

• 75. Re: Elements 13, Google Maps Not Displaying in Places View

RamonJ  wrote

Since some time I read this forum and have the same issues in Elements 14. Many thousands of photos are categorized with tags and places! Only one post some time ago from Adobe, since then no updates on this problem... Why are we paying for your software, can we get an update please?

Have a look at my post Nr 27, and the more detailed workflow in post 41 by Richard.

I have checked that the solution I did suggest works. The test version of PSE15 organizer still works with PSE14 editor after 30 days , and the map works ok. The big plus is that the PSE15 organizer version is much enhanced compared to earlier versions.

Hi Michel,

A couple of points that may help other users if they decide to go this route:

1. When Photoshop 15 first opens (after downloading and installing) you are asked if you want to convert your catalog.  You should answer "Yes".  This creates a new vesion of the catalog.  Your old version of Photoshop will still point to the original, unconverted catalog.  I made the mistake of saying "No" and had to go through additional steps to get Photoshop 15 working as desired.  Once it was working, Places also works as expected.
                                                                              2. There is no free trial message when you open the Photoshop 15 Organizer, that only hapens when you open the Photoshop 15 Editor for the first time.  I cancelled out of the Photoshop 15 Editor without invoking the 30 day trial.  I then created a copy of the Photoshop 12 Editor in the same folder as the original Photoshop 12 Editor and set up a "Supplementary Editing Application" in the "Photoshop 15 Preferences - Editing".  Here is the path I browsed to to use my copy of the Photoshop 12 editor - "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 12\PhotoshopElementsEditor12.exe" (of course this is a Windows 10 folder).  It is necessary to make a copy with a new name otherwise Photoshop detects a conflict between editors.  Also leave the copy in the same folder as the original.  If you move it to the same folder as the Photoshop 15 editor it will not work, this may be because of 64-bit compatability issues.
                                                                              3. I don't know what will happen after 30 days.  For this reason I won't be doing any changes in Photoshop 12 or 15 for this time period.  Because they are using two different catalogs any changes done in the one will not be available to the other.  If I were to start using Photoshop 15 and it stopped working after 30 days I don't think I would have the ability to down-convert the catalog to my Photoshop 12 version.  I'd be forced to purchase the Photoshop 15 verison (or lose any changes I'd made) which is what I'm trying to avoid since, until recently, Photoshop 12 was working fine.

Preferences.jpg

Thanks for the suggestion Michel,

Richard

Just a comment, I could not be sure without testing.

Is it ok to use the trial version of the organizer after 30 days?

My understanding is that Adobe does consider that your organization (in the Organizer, in Bridge or Lightroom) must be still available even if you don't upgrade. You can install Bridge for free, you can still use Lightroom catalogs without the 'develop' module if you no longer subscribe.

2 people found this helpful
                                                                              • 76. Re: Elements 13, Google Maps Not Displaying in Places View
                                                                                armind78889159 Level 1

Hello Richard,

regarding your item 3), I might be able to provide some input.

I also tried the 30 day trial version, but, unlike you, I _did_ invoke the 30 day trial period for the Editor (under MacOSX El Capitan).

So, this is not exactly the same situation.

Nevertheless, I can tell you that, if you invoke the 30 day trial period for the Editor, also the Organizer will stop working after the 30 days plus a grace period of a week or two. That is, even though, unlike when starting the Editor, there is no message shown when starting the Organizer that only so and so many days are left.

Fortunately, version 2018 became available in the meanwhile, which again, after deinstalling version 15, provides 30 days of trial period. This time I did not yet start the trial period. So, I really would like to know what happens in this case. Is your Organizer still working after a lot more than 30 days?

• 77. Re: Elements 13, Google Maps Not Displaying in Places View
                                                                                  richardh25098052 Level 1

Sorry, I'm not able to report what happens at the end of the 30-day trial period.  I just got tired of all the hassle and upgraded to Photoshop Elements 2018.  Yeah, Adobe won

• 79. Re: Elements 13, Google Maps Not Displaying in Places View
                                                                                    leski

Unfortunately organiser software refused to work after 30 day trial period of the editor.

I would like to repeat my question , when Adobe will solve the problem with maps in previous versions of Elements Organizer ?