• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Full 3D capability?

New Here ,
Nov 04, 2017 Nov 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am brand new to PS and am wondering that out of all the applications and options that are available what, exactly do I need and what precisely don't I need please.

I own a number of 3D cameras and have access to a wide variety of 3D images plus the knowledge of how to convert 2D into 3D and now need those tools that will allow me to create depth maps of 2D images and to assign distance to various key objects in an image.  Unfortunately I cannot find the necessary contacts to ask so I look to this forum to give me guidance please.  Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're in the download and install forum, would you say that your topic is "how to get going with 3D in Photoshop?". If it is I can move the topic over to that forum.

In the meantime, the very basic version is that in Photoshop you can make a 3D layer from an external model. I read that these files can be brought in as a 3D layer:

DAE (Collada), OBJ, 3DS, U3D, and KMZ

Really, KMZ is just zipped Collada anyway. I haven't tried the other ones much, I would usually use Collada (DAE).

Collada is an XML format, and unusual in a particular way. As it's XML you could create any kind of attribute you can imagine, that may not be possible to import into other programs that haven't heard of that attribute. It's not unusual to find that programs can export to Collada but not import from it.

That aside, if you have a 3D model and can export DAE, OBJ, 3DS, or KMZ, you can make a 3D layer from it in Photoshop.

Here's an article on getting things in and out of Photoshop in 3D:

3D rendering and saving in Photoshop

If you didn't already look at it, you should check out Adobe Dimension (formally called Project Felix). It can make more elaborate 3D scenes quicker than Photoshop:

Buy Adobe Dimension CC | Photo-real 3D images for product and package design 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop does not synthesize a depth buffer and that is that. You need other, much more expensive tools for that such as photogrammetry tools or compositing programs liek Nuke.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 05, 2017 Nov 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm not sure what synthesizing a depth buffer is, but you can manipulate 3D models to place them into your scene, and you can rasterize the 3D layer if you want to edit the bitmap version of the model from that viewpoint. In this picture I imported a Collada file (the woman), made two copes of the 3D layer, adjusted them to different views, and rasterized them so that I could delete the shadow where it hits the car.

I'm definitely not a Photoshop expert, but using 3D models in a PSD seems to be easy enough.

One neat thing is that as you rotate the model you see the ground plane grid, and it's easy to make it line up with the perspective of the photo.

showroom.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines