• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Tons of lag previewing 4k drone footage. Have a decent comp. Please help

New Here ,
Nov 05, 2017 Nov 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey I'm trying to edit 4k drone footage in Premiere pro and the footage lags a ton in the preview window. I have it at 1/4 already and the lag is making it impossible to edit. I have a decent build, so I'm confused on why I'm getting tons of lag. My build is:

CPU - Intel i7 7700k 4.2Ghz (not overclocked)

Ram - 32GB
Storage - I only have a Samsung 850 Evo 250GB SSD, but I have most of my files on a 2TB hard drive. Still using about 60% of the SSD though.
Graphics - EVGA GTX 1080 8Gb

When I am previewing the footage, task manager puts Premiere at about 50% of my CPU and 4.5GB of memory.

I run games on ultra high quality with great fps, so I'm just confused on why I'm lagging so hard on 1/4 quality 4k footage. Do I not have a good enough build for 4k? Or is there some quick fix that I'm not doing? Appreciate any help, I'm not a huge software savvy guy so bare with me.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, I've realized that it only lags when I put an effect on it. But all I did was reverse the footage, so nothing really taxing. Playback without any effects runs lag free at 1/4.

Heres a link to my build, https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Cbach246/saved/#view=4xTsYJ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All of the drone footage I've worked with has been H264 and therefore highly taxing to the computer system overall. If you're going to be doing a lot of editing of that footage perhaps the best approach is to transcode it to a better format for editing (i.e., pro res or dnxhd.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 07, 2017 Nov 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Have you tried placing the footage in the SSD?

I believe the hard drive is the bottleneck here.

As I understand the best situation is having the footage on one SSD and the cache and projects on a separate one.

Since you have a nice build it's probably worth doing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines