Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Color shift when jpeg compression

Participant ,
Oct 23, 2017 Oct 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello.

It's a strange story I'm living here: First, i have to tell it's the first time I have this kind of problem since I use photoshop (10 years).
Ok here we go:
1) I made a Graphic model for a client's website.
2) Somebody else made the integration and the "cut"
3)My client ask me to re-touch the alreadycutimages.
4) I made "retouches", I save => different on the baskground and so no more matching with the rest of the website background.

The RGB code is not the same anymore!

What I tried?

1) change color profile => no results
2) change color proof profile => no results
3) "save as" operation => no results
4) "save for internet" => no results.

BUT

5)"save as" in 100% jpeg => it's ok. The tone is the same Oo but the problem is i need to compress... so...
6) "Save as" in 90% jpeg => NNNNNoooo Colors shifting.

What's the matter? What do i do wrong?

Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Oct 23, 2017 Oct 23, 2017

Ok I think I found it... I don't know why or how but the CC2018 update have totaly changed my coulours space settings...
It's seems to be back to normal again.
Thank for your help though.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't understand half of what you're supposedly doing here, BUT:

In Save For Web / Export As, make sure these two boxes are checked:

export1.png

It will then display correctly in color managed applications such as Photoshop. In applications that are not color managed, all bets are off anyway. But sRGB files will usually be roughly right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I don't understand half of what you're supposedly doing here"
oh ? I thought I have briently explained though.

I have an image... I open it in photoshop when i compressed (even a little bit) and save it in jpeg => there is a color shift.

That's all. 😉

Never embeding color profile in a web image (usually)!
But even with this, that doesn't work. I have a color shift...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

好像图片在PS或者LR软件里面的显示效果 本身就比实际情况 要鲜艳好看一点。我同意一楼的说法,我一般习惯用导出,色差基本看不出来。

搜狗截图20171023214453.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok I think I found it... I don't know why or how but the CC2018 update have totaly changed my coulours space settings...
It's seems to be back to normal again.
Thank for your help though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2017 Nov 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry How did you fix this issue? I’m having this massive issue with it also and need it fixing ASAP. Can you please walk me through like a 2 year old? ThAnks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just changed my color settings 😉
For the rest, it depends on what do you want to have as settings

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shift-Ctrl-k or Shift-Cmd-k and select your settings like so. I use North American General myself. Europe Prepress if you live there.

Screen Shot 2017-11-05 at 10.29.08 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would strongly recommend everyone to not change anything in Color Settings, unless all the implications of doing so are understood.

The default settings are safe settings where not much can go wrong.

Above all, always keep Color Management Policies at "Preserve Embedded Profiles". Never change that - it will very quickly get you into trouble you can't get back out of.

The one exception is the Save For Web and Export settings. Here, for some reason I can't even begin to understand, the default is to not embed the profile. The profile should always be embedded, no exceptions, web or otherwise. So this box needs to be checked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 06, 2017 Nov 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Above all, always keep Color Management Policies at "Preserve Embedded Profiles". Never change that - it will very quickly get you into trouble you can't get back out of."

The one exception is the Save For Web and Export settings. Here, for some reason I can't even begin to understand, the default is to not embed the profile. The profile should always be embedded, no exceptions, web or otherwise. So this box needs to be checked."

... i would give the opposite tip: always delete embebbed profiles (especillay when it's for the web)... It's exactly when i let the embbed profile that i have color shifts...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kinsi  wrote

... i would give the opposite tip: always delete embebbed profiles (especillay when it's for the web)... It's exactly when i let the embbed profile that i have color shifts...

That just shows you don't understand what's happening. A color shift happens when color management stops, when the profile is not read. Then you're at the mercy of how your particular monitor displays color - with no idea of how it will display on any other monitor or system out there.

Most major web browsers today have full color management, and there's no reason to work without color management for the web.

If you're comparing with non-color managed browsers or photo viewers, then yes, obviously, you will have a color "shift". Because they don't read the profile.

To accommodate environments without color management you need to prepare your files accordingly. That basically just means sRGB, which is close enough to most standard displays that most people will see it roughly right. But if you have a wide gamut display, like for instance all the new iMacs and MBPs, then you need full color management at all times. That's just a property of the display. It won't display sRGB correctly, ever, unless there is a fully color managed pipeline that corrects for the display.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hu...
But if you integrate a profil... and this one corrects the image colors and works ONLY with mac... you have color shift on the others screen.
Without profil, no problem there => when you make jpeg of your webdesign layout (for example), it's in srgb by default.

I think i express myself very badly.

USUALLY, when i make a webdesign layout... when i import photos or element IN photoshop, i don't integrate profils (without color managment option) but when i export, it's always srgb (by default on my computer). LIKE this i have no color shifts.
When i did let profile when i imported the elements, after the export i had color shifts!

EDIT: nope, i verified, i don't integrate profil when i export...
If i do, i have color shift...

EDIT 02: so finally I made research about this and D Fosse is right: keeping profile is important.
In the case of a website layout => the easiest way = convert all import to your workspace color. And export in srgb + profile in it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines