Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PDF export / Transparency problem since CC2018

Community Beginner ,
Oct 24, 2017 Oct 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello !

A few days ago I upgraded InDesign and all my other Adobe softwares to CC 2018.

Since then I don't seem to be able to export a PDF with AI, PDF or transparent images in it.

It used to work perfectly fine, I haven't changed anything in my settings except for the upgrade. Even the default export settings don't work.

To be precise the problem is that all the images mentionned above appear blurry or pixelated (see picture below).

The problem doesn't appear when the document is viewed inInDesign, and doesn't show up in JPG export for exemple.

In the picture below Fig 2.t is pixelated and blurry (the background is transparent and it's a PDF image) and Fig 2.u is fine (no transparency, and it's a JPG).

Both blue blocks are supposed to be PDF formulaes with a block style (Multiply, no background color and inner glow)

I tried to find answers on the internet, read about flattening transparency but nothing has worked so far… I am a bit desperate as I don't even have a workaround and the catalogue I'm working on should be printed next month…

Thanks a lot for your help

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Please let me know the results of the following:

1. Create an interactive PDF of your document (in the Printer dropdown of the Print dialog, select Adobe PDF)
  2. Creating a PDF using the Print route
  3. Creating a .ps using the Print route and distill it to create PDF
  4. Create a package of the document, include PDF in the package. Check this PDF, is this pixelated too?
  5. Open the indd file from the package and then try to export PDF
  6. Try exporting the PDF from the idml created with the package

Does any of the above give you a non-pixelated PDF?

Also, please provide your system configuration.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Anasuiya,

Thanks a lot for your answer.

• Creating an Adobe PDF via the Print menu works !
  • Solution 3 works as well
  • Solution 4, the PDF in the package is pixelated
  • 5 and 6 don't work either (using exporting as PDF)

I'm running on Windows 7 Pro, 64 bits, RAM 8 Go, Intel (R) core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40 GHz, 3401 MHz

What does the problem seem to be then ? What changed since the upgrade ?

Thanks again for your helpful response!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for trying out the above mentioned scenarios. Please share your document(s) with me as a package with Links and Fonts, along with the PDF presets you are using to export Print PDF at anasupt@adobe.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Similar issues here I’m afraid.

I've installed the InDesign CC 2018 update and I’m now having trouble creating pdfs.

Linked ai/jpg/tif/psd files are rendering badly in the final pdf no matter what settings are used. Illustrator (.ai) files are appearing pixelated and with white backgrounds rather than transparent. It’s as if the links are broken, but they are not. All linked eps files render perfectly however!

I've tried un-installing, re-installing, trashing preferences, deleting any old InDesign application files that I could find etc. When I trash the preference files the issue is fixed, only for the problem to return when I restart my Mac.

Two other Macs in the office have no problem at all, one other has the same issue as mine. If it helps, I'm running Sierra 10.12.6 and I’ve tried many pdf settings, including the default options.

Many thanks for any help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tony

The information you shared around deleting the preferences files and the problem disappearing is helpful. Please share the following files and folders with us at anasgupt@adobe.com for us to reproduce the issue:

1. Screenshot of the preference files that you are deleting
  2. Package of your InDesign document folder with Links and fonts
  3. PDF presets that you generally use while exporting your documents
  4. Preference files when you are facing the issue
  5. Preference files when you are not facing the issue

Thanks in advance!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 06, 2018 Jun 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. I absolutely have to fix that. I spoke via Chat with the ADOBE expert and he tells me that this is a problem with my graphics card (CPU). But that did not solve the problem that I have only since my update of INDESIGN CC 2018. I find this statement wrong because I own the very last IMAC 2018 27 inches.

What is the best solution to solve the problem now according to you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No one has gotten back to me. I think that this is a bug in InDesign.

The printer told me not to make Adobe upgrades until after a job is over. It was probably upgraded before the project began in April. And I wouldn't have thought to check this.

Now I have to get back to the client who signed off on the final pdf before the printer's pdf went through to see who will be billed for the error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe it is a bug. This topic has come up in other forum posts.

Please log this bug at the InDesign User Voice: Adobe InDesign Feedback

One recommended solution to try:

• When exporting to PDF, select Press Quality and set the Acrobat Compatibility to 4.0 (this lets you control the flattening).
  • In the Advanced section, set the transparency flattener to High Resolution.

PDF-Transparency.png

For more info on transparency & flattening, see Transparency flattening (Adobe Acrobat Pro)

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 07, 2018 Jun 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

gamu_mac  wrote

No one has gotten back to me. I think that this is a bug in InDesign.…

Hi,

what is your exact version of your InDesign? Hold down the Cmd key (Mac) or Strg key (Win) and look into menu About InDesign.

The latest version of InDesign is CC 2018.1 version 13.1.0.76. The bug should be fixed with that.

What's the exact version of your OS ?

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 07, 2018 Jun 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

melissap32762741  wrote

I have the same problem. I absolutely have to fix that. I spoke via Chat with the ADOBE expert and he tells me that this is a problem with my graphics card (CPU). But that did not solve the problem that I have only since my update of INDESIGN CC 2018. I find this statement wrong because I own the very last IMAC 2018 27 inches.

What is the best solution to solve the problem now according to you?

Hi melissap32762741 ,

what is your exact version of InDesign? Hold down the Cmd key and look into menu About InDesign.

The latest version of InDesign is CC 2018.1 version 13.1.0.76. The bug should be fixed with that.

What's the exact version of your OS X ?

I really doubt the issue is your graphics card.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 08, 2017 Nov 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BTW - are you kidding me - you want me to go back to the old Quark method of distilling? The reason I switched to InDesign was to make my life easier - now to go back to the old crap? I hope that will be fixed soon!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 25, 2017 Oct 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I quickly tried it in my Indesign, placed an Ai file (saved as Ai2018) put a transparent object above it to partially cover it an my export seems to be find.

I used the default PDFx-1a with FOGRA39 profile

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 25, 2017 Oct 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please check if the preference of Check Links Before Opening Document is checked or not in Edit > Preferences > File Handling.

Also, make sure this setting is not being migrated from your InDesign CC 2017 (Version 12.0) setting are not being migrated to Version 13.0 preferences. If so, you will have to trash preferences of earlier versions as well along with Version 13.0 preferences and then launch InDesign 13.0 with the default settings, ensure that the preference Check Links Before Opening Document is checked or not in Edit > Preferences > File Handling in ON, now open your file and click on Update Links if the dialog is shown, try exporting your PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 30, 2017 Oct 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been following this post because I have the same issue.

There's nothing wrong with the links, they are not missing nor modified. My preferences under File handling are as suggested. Also, the problem seems to occur at random, so you may not notice it at first. It does export fine sometimes, but when I export longer documents, or documents that are larger in print dimensions, some of the images get exported in low resolution. If I try again, some of those images might export correctly, but others get exported in low res.

It seems that it is (randomly) failing in either the transparancy flattening or compression during export, or Indesign is randomly losing the links during the operation.

I would suggest the latter: First of all, one of my links is a circular .ai and the square part of picture behind it turns white (as if it uses the preview instead of the actual link). Secondly, exporting is happening way too fast. Thirdly, I made a test-file with all links embedded in the document, and exporting was perfect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2017 Oct 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I join this discussion because I have the same problem.

last week I received from a graphic company the layout for a new catalogue, when i tried to open it I've been warned that the file has been created with a new version (CC2018) while I was using CC2017.

I did the update and reopened the file, all was looking ok, when I've select the "export" function, after the reconnection of the files (150 pictures in high resolution) the export started and the result was a very poor quality file (texts ok, images not) and small (7,5 Mb instead of 70)

I've checked with the person that has produced the file, for him everything was working properly, we checked all the export preferences and all was the same, same situation with the studio that was working on the photo retouch, for everybody the file was working properly, not for me.

Then I've reinstalled the program (after the proper de-installtion erasing all the preferences) but the result was the same.

I still have the ID6 installed, so I opened the file (and converted) with ID6, updaed all the files connected, exported the pdf ... everything was working and the file was perfect !!

All tests has been done on MAC (me, graphic company and photo service)

I'm using a Macbook Pro I7 2,6 Ghz, 16 Gb Ram, 1Tb SSD, OS 10.12.6

Thank a lot for the feedback

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 01, 2017 Nov 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issue here since upgrading to CC2018. I'm on a PC on Windows 7.

The only workaround I've found for it is embedding the images in the document. A real pain since I work in the publishing industry and have to create dozens of PDFs a day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 01, 2017 Nov 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What PDF export settings are you using?

In my numerous tests with this latest InDesign version, I haven't yet seen anything like the symptoms being described.

If you could package up an InDesign document showing these symptoms (don't embed the images) and post same, I'd be glad to look at it and pass it along to the InDesign team if I can reproduce the problem.

You can send me a private message on the forum with a link to a .ZIP file of the document's full package.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 04, 2017 Nov 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also having the same issue since the update.

The PDFs are being created in Photoshop. When using "Place" to import into Illustrator, I get a warning box that says "An unknown imaging construct was encountered," and like everyone has said, it has to do with the transparency portion of the image. This is whether the PDF's transparency has been flattened or not.

Working on a print deadline here, so pretty stressed about the whole thing.

MacBook Pro (late 2016) / OSX Sierra 10.12.6

I fear I'm not savvy enough to accomplish some of those work-arounds. I'm going to have to try something...

Thanks!

mt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>The PDFs are being created in Photoshop. When using "Place" to import into Illustrator, I get a warning box...

You know you've posted this in the InDesign forum, right? You're apparently talking about working in Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 05, 2017 Nov 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope. I'm sorry, I got directed here from a Google search, and this was the only thread really discussing my problem as it is happening (precisely).

But after going through this thread and realizing you were speaking about InDesign, I pulled it open in there as well and am having the same issue. Does it actually matter, at this point? It's clearly an issue with CC that needs to be addressed.

Still, I'll go and try to find another thread that is more specifically geared toward Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, when I try to "Save As Adobe PDF" from the Print dialog box, it closes the window (just as soon as I select it). I don't even get to hit the SAVE button in the bottom right before it disappears.

No good.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 06, 2017 Nov 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have the same problem like the thread starter: A few days ago I upgraded InDesign and all my other Adobe softwares to CC 2018.

Since then I don't seem to be able to export a PDF with AI, PDF or transparent images in it. I´m really very sorrowful about this, because I have to make a big catalogue for a big company.  Please help!

Kind regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

CC2018 exporting pixelated PDF – Adobe InDesign Feedback

knuts6375582  wrote

Since then I don't seem to be able to export a PDF with AI, PDF or transparent images in it. I´m really very sorrowful about this, because I have to make a big catalogue for a big company.  Please help!

Does the solution at the above thread help you? If not, what is the error message that you see?

-Aman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, I have read the other thread "CC2018 exporting pixelated PDF". But I´m not really sure what I have to do. I´m afraid to delete something like preferences. Our catalogue has 832 pages, 800 photos, 1,000 drawings. It has a long history, through CS 5, CS6, CC2015, CC 2016, CC2017 and now CC2018 and I don´t want to destroy it. Please, is there a description of a solution, which could be understood by a non-native English speaker?

Kind regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines