• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Windows 10 start menu icons messed up for all apps after update

Participant ,
Oct 27, 2017 Oct 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yesterday I updated CC apps, selecting to remove the old ones. Now all of the Adobe icons on the start menu are messed up, i.e. they don't work anymore. Even the little ones in the complete list of apps on the left side fail: They still show 2017, should be 2018. 2018 icons are nowhere.

I can go to the apps directly in the programs folder and run them, but that's a bit of a hassle ...

Pinning these to start doesn't work either, the icons look messed up, and they don't work.

Any way to fix these icons? Thanks

Adobe - Messed up icons.jpg

TOPICS
Creative Cloud

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 27, 2017 Oct 27, 2017

i think that's still your best bet.

this is the only non-forum info on adobe.com that i could find, Application icons change to Acrobat or Reader icon on Windows

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

google: win 10 repair icons

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was of course the first thing I tried. Applied some "fixes", at least the broken icons that I had added myself disappeared. But there is no general issue with the icons. Just with Adobe icons, after yesterdays updates. Meanwhile I found that on my admin account the icons are ok. Just on my work account they are broken. Before the updates everything was fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i think that's still your best bet.

this is the only non-forum info on adobe.com that i could find, Application icons change to Acrobat or Reader icon on Windows

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, if I'm the only one who has this issue, I will have to try more of those Windows fixes.

The suggestions in your link are for older versions of Windows. I have tried some of those things, especially icon db refresh with the Win10 version of it. But it is definitely not only an icon issue, it's the links that I don't get to work anymore.

Anyway, thanks for your replies and suggestions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this path to the start menu:

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

Not sure if it works for you - I'm the only user and admin of the machine.

Fenja

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if it's not an icon problem but a path problem, recreate your shortcuts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 06, 2017 Nov 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Meanwhile, after yet another restart, it seems fixed. Still I need to manually recreate all icons. And (of course?) the application defaults are also broken. But that is an issue I had for years. Especially Photoshop - it never appears in the suggested application list for images ... But that's a different issue.

Thank you all for your replies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 06, 2017 Nov 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you're welcome.  (and glad that's sorted, hopefully never to recur.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 03, 2018 Feb 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This just happened to me.  The icons either turned "white" and when I clicked on "Properties" it said there was some kind of problem.  So, I ended up deleting the shortcut icons on the desktop for Photoshop, Lightroom and Bridge.  Then I did a search using the Cortana "Type here to search" box on the task bar and typed in the name of the app icon.  When the name came up, I right clicked and then clicked on "open file location."  Then I clicked on the file name and clicked again on "send to".  Clicked again on "Desktop".  Icons are all back and everything works.  I had one other unrelated icon that was suffering a similar "white" problem, so I deleted it and went through the same process, and now everything is okay again. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines