• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom CC Sync Stuck with memory leak

Community Beginner ,
Oct 25, 2017 Oct 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I attempted to migrate three catalogs to Lightroom CC but the sync seems stuck and the process is using up all of the memory in my computer.  It ramps up forever until Windows crashes.  I attached a screenshot of it using 10GB, it just grows by about 50MB per second non-stop.

Windows 10 64-bit version 1.0.

Thanks.

2017-10-25 18_50_57-Lightroom CC.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Nov 02, 2017 Nov 02, 2017

Is your Lightroom photo catalog under any other Cloud services? Dropbox, onedrive, Google Backup & Sync...etc.

After talking to an Adobe Support tech I was informed that the migration can be problematic if your photo library is stored under another Cloud service as the read & write permissions of those folders can be constantly changing and it will mess up the migration.

This is exactly what gave me the same memory leak in my Lightroom CC Sync Utility. Mine kept hovering near maxed out memory eve

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2017 Oct 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This forum is my only method of support on the Creative Cloud Photography plan.  I don't know who else to call.  I can hold alt and click the cloud icon which seems to show pending photos but it seems to me most of my photos are pending (18k+).  I tried re-installing the software.  I've tried killing the lightroomcchelper.exe process many times, it just does the same thing.  I've used Sysinternals ProcMon to monitor the process, and it seems to be fixated on one or two particular folders but I don't really know what to do with this information.  I'm afraid of just deleting any catalogs at this point because I don't want to lose my metadata.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 30, 2017 Oct 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue on my iMac, and it kinda sucks that there really isn’t any good way to contact adobe suppor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 02, 2017 Nov 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is your Lightroom photo catalog under any other Cloud services? Dropbox, onedrive, Google Backup & Sync...etc.

After talking to an Adobe Support tech I was informed that the migration can be problematic if your photo library is stored under another Cloud service as the read & write permissions of those folders can be constantly changing and it will mess up the migration.

This is exactly what gave me the same memory leak in my Lightroom CC Sync Utility. Mine kept hovering near maxed out memory even though I had 16 GBS, and the migration stopped short at 405 photos out of my 3400 total.

I wiped my Lightroom CC library clean to start the migration over (Go to Lighroom Classic Preferences, Lightroom CC, Delete all Data).

I then moved my photo library off of Dropbox and Google Backup & Sync.

Fixed a couple of broken link folders in Classic CC as a result of doing so.

Restarted the Migration process... and it's currently working as advertised, no more memory leak.

Hope this helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have my photos on an external drive which is conn to my iMac through a thunderbolt cable. My catalog is located on the same drive. I’ll chech the promtions to the drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 05, 2020 Dec 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, 

I just had the same issue - PC running for a few days to sync less than 700GB of photos - that' horrible. Memory 23GB of my 32GB total... In the end, it turned out that I dragged-dropped a whole folder with a symlink to the adobe cloud in it. Not sure why that would make a difference, but once I removed the link, restarted the app, syncing picked up at much higher pace and with little memory utilisation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have the same problem, Lightroom CC uploaded about 4000 photos no problem but for the past week or more it will not upload anything else for me. When I open it it says syncing the remaining number of photos but after a few mins the number is the same, then disappears completely and it just says "syncing photos" then adobe lightroom helper uses all 16GB of my ram and I have to quit the program. Love the fact that I'm paying 20 bucks a month for this crap. At first I thought their servers were overloaded, now I know thats not true. Support seems to be non-existent, really wish I didn't migrate

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems that I have resoled the issue on my end. I just generated a new catalog and imported my old catalog into it. Lightroom is still downloading photos from CC, but it has used 8 GB of ram at the most, and not the crazy 45+ GB. I’ll let you guys know how it goes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 04, 2017 Nov 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bo, this is what I ended up doing too.  It seemed to go the same distance as before (256GB uploaded or so) but now again it is stopped.  I feel like I may be encountering two issues: 1) this one with the memory leak, and 2) like this https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2400291​ where perhaps there's some corrupt file/folder which is holding up the upload.  I agree with you that if Adobe considers this adequate support for a paid product, they're fooling themselves.  I have half a mind to cancel my subscription and find a Lightroom replacement.

Having recreated my catalog into one merged catalog, enabling sync and then switching to Lightroom CC and migrating it, it seems to have solved the memory usage thing, it's just still not uploading everything.  I don't think this a very good way to fix the issue because I did lose a fair amount of collection and tagging information when I switched to a new catalog.

In terms of the issue holding up the upload itself, I wish there was an easy way to review the logs or something to see which files where causing it grief.

I actually do fall under the case which  Jayc57139230 explains where my Lightroom CC catalog folder is synced by Dropbox.  I have moved the catalog elsewhere, we'll see if that make it work any better, if so I may mark their answer as the correct answer. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To everyone having issues try this. A few people have used it and it worked for me. Select all the photos and change the rating on all to 1 star or change all to a pick flag. Restart and wait a minute or two. I know it doesnt make sense but I struggled with this for over a week, tried everything and this was the only thing that worked. Has something to do with metadate

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks dws2384, I did actually try this before.  It doesn't seem to have helped in my case.  I'm going to wait and see if moving the catalog outside of the Dropbox sync location helps but it'll take a couple days to really know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may also want to try holding down command or option (cant remember which one) and clicking on the sync icon in the top right at the same time while in grid view. This will show all of the photos that are trying to sync, I did have a few that were causing problems, I just deleted these and reimported after. Did not give me any issues the second time

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 11, 2017 Nov 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am marking jayc57139230's answer as correct as it solved the original memory leak issue.

Part of what I ended up having to do to get (mostly) everything synced and working involved ditching my old 3 catalogs and create a single catalog in Lightroom Classic CC, then delete all Lightroom cloud data (which you must do from Lightroom Classic CC, their website and Lightroom CC seem to be missing the button), then I synced the new merged catalog in Lightroom Classic CC and migrated it to Lightroom CC.  From there, it took about 4-5 days to sync.  I had some sync issues but by following the advice on the other forum posts, I could get most of my photos uploaded and synced.

Adobe is dropping the ball on documentation and support.  The tools available to us to troubleshoot sync issues are pitiful. The forums are nice but the Adobe staff don't seem to be weighing in to help or to note bugs in their software.

The only reason this issue was even corrected is because someone with a more expensive plan than me (jayc57139230), who has access to the phone support had the same issue and got an answer from Adobe support directly then shared it with us (thanks jayc57139230!).  No one else on the forums had ever mentioned this issue before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 12, 2017 Nov 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad it worked for you! Now I agree these kind of things need to be made public knowledge by Adobe when taking users through the migration process as i'm sure we're not the only two who have run into these issues

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 07, 2017 Nov 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Delete your preview folder out of your Lightroom folder. I just did it and it work so far.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines