• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Crash with Data Merge in indesgn 2017

New Here ,
Feb 15, 2017 Feb 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Program quits running when I open data merge.  Windows 7, i7 HP Zbook, 32 gig of ram.

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: InDesign.exe

Application Version: 12.0.0.81

Application Timestamp: 57f545c7

Fault Module Name: DATAMERGEUI.APLN

Fault Module Version: 12.0.0.81

Fault Module Timestamp: 57f553e2

Exception Code: c0000005

Exception Offset: 00000000000070fb

OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48

Locale ID: 1033

Additional Information 1: c2f7

Additional Information 2: c2f7232f8f83c2925285bc7ba772418d

Additional Information 3: 4ccd

Additional Information 4: 4ccd62694fcbc3a21e558c89d47f840a

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving to InDesign

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does it crash when you open the panel for Data Merge or when you attempt to connect to a CSV file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It crashes when I try to open the panel.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try resetting your ID prefs.

Hold shiftcmd/ctrlalt/opt before the startup screen appears on launch

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have already tried resetting prefs.  I think I may be down to a bad PDF.  Although we use these PDFs every year to mail post cards.  I setup a new document and Data Merge opened.  I am going to pull the files to my local drive and try there.  Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 25, 2017 Oct 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still no idea what is causing this?

I've just updated to InDesign CC 2018 and started having the same issue. After creating a complete document using the mail merge pallet with no issues; now whenever I select Data Merge, InDesign crashes.

I'm running macOS Sierra version 10.12.6 on a 27" Late 2012 iMac with 16 GB Ram

I've deactivated 3rd party everything, restarted, rebooted, reset preferences, tried copying files to a new InDesign file... but everything I have done results in a crash as soon as I select Data Merge. I've opened up files unrelated to merging, select Data Merge and the error repeats.

Any suggestions? I have a client that does a 50,000 record merge every two weeks so I'm getting a little nervous that no one has even touched this thread in 8 months. HELP?

Sherry Baker

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am asumming that the crash is not file specific and happens everytime whenever you open the Data merge panel

Please try to manually delete both the cache and preferences by going to the folder locations.(and not using shortcuts. Also delete them from teash)

Troubleshooting 101: Replace, or "trash" your InDesign preferences

-Aman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the quick response, Aman, 

You are correct, it doesn't matter what file is open, the results are the same. I've trashed the cache and preferences (being careful to also empty the bin) but it results in the same issue. I can open any of the other menus, but Data Merge results in a crash just by clicking on it... regardless of the file I have open.

Interesting note... it doesn't seem to happen when I create a new, blank file. I have tried rebuilding the file in that blank document, but the crashing returns.

Sherry Baker

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 01, 2017 Nov 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this same issue....If I open data merge with a document that I haven't used it on yet it opens just fine. but as soon as I try to edit a document that currently uses data merge it crashes. My computer and my indesign are update with software. I am on a MAC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you noticed (with the new install of Adobe CC) that the preferences are resetting themselves upon crashing? I had to re-add my printer preferences, pallet preferences and everything, three times yesterday... and data merge is STILL broken 😕 Adobe?

Sherry Baker

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Can you mail me the crash report you get after the crash at amaarora@adobe.com along with the document with which you encounter the issue?

-Aman

InDesign Engineering Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 02, 2017 Nov 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Done! And thank you. I've also created a small video showing two consecutive crashes. I'm including it here just in case anyone else is having the same issue.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e6cilrhgo8101yi/Lacy%26ParCrash.mov?dl=0

Sherry Baker

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 04, 2017 Nov 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you advise what happens if you open the Data Merge palette another way (i.e. go to the Window menu, utilities, data merge)? Does it still crash?

What happens if you change to the workspace to "essentials" and then open the data merge palette via the window menu? Does it still crash?

What if you use a data-merge related script (e.g. a script that calls upon data merge) such as data merge to single records? If you don't have one, Ozalto has one on their website called Folder2CSV - Downloads | Ozalto

Otherwise I have a few in the public domain on my website that you can use for a test, such as data merge to unique names - https://colecandoo.com/downloads/

These scripts open the data merge palette without on the panel, so it would be interesting to see if they can produce the same fault.

If the answer to all of the above is "it still crashes" then at least we have attempted some workarounds.

If the answer wasn't in my post, perhaps it might be on my blog at colecandoo!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 07, 2017 Nov 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your suggestions, Colin! When I get a free moment I'll go through them one by one and let you know.

I've also bookmarked your site -- some really great resources there! I can't wait to get up and running again so I can try a few of the others not related to my data merge woes.

An aside... what's so annoying about this particular crash is that each time I test it, I lose all my preferences and presets right after the crash. Every. Single. Time. Would be nice if Adobe had thought to put them all in the same place to make replacing them easier . Reloading a ton of presets just to get operational again is a real time suck!

Sherry Baker

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

If your preference and cache were created without InDesign crashing (and Indesign closing normally) then your preference and cache will be saved.

Open inDesign

Set your preference

Close Indesign

Try to replicate the process that crashes Indesign and you will see the preference will be saved

-Aman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm afraid I don't get that result, Aman.

I thought I had closed after resetting my preferences and presets, but to make sure, I did as you suggested and completely closed out of InDesign after setting everything this time. To make doubly sure, I restarted my iMac as well.

Interestingly enough, InDesign did keep my selected Workspace (where it never has before) and kept my preference for inches over picas... weird... but other than that, it still resets everything else I had customized.

Preferences/Interface -> back to factory default - This is usually the first indication

Preferences/General/Advanced Type & Display Performance -> back to factory default

Window Application Frame -> back to factory default

Print Presets -> had to reload them

Swatches -> had to reload them

I'm guessing there are others that I may have forgotten... but those are the big ones.

Something of note... I was able to test trying to do the Data Merge from the menu rather than the side pallet. Still results in a crash.

Sherry Baker

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There used to be a known bug that if you have "generate overset text report" checked in your merging preferences then it'd crash - solution was simply to turn this off. Maybe this has reemerged? Have you tried that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 02, 2017 Nov 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nicolas

It always seems to crash just as I'm clicking Data Merge, so I never get a chance to check the merge preferences, and I can't see where you can set them without having merged data in a file.

Sherry Baker

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 22, 2018 Feb 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone been able to fix this? We just switched to CC (from CS6) and having the same issue. I've trashed my preferences and moved the files to my desktop and it's still crashing every time we load the data merge panel. Moving the files locally did seem to work yesterday, but not anymore. Considering that generating reports with data merge is the primary reason we use InDesign, it's very disappointing that there's no apparent fix...

Side note, is there a way to contact customer support directly rather than via a forum? I've tried multiple times, as I saw that we're supposed to have access to a chat feature, but I'm only presented with the forum option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 01, 2018 Jun 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, but it's kind of mean. I tweet at them. I've found response time is a lot quicker when the WORLD knows you are having a problem

Sherry Baker

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 24, 2019 Jan 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is everyone still having this issue?  I'm running into the same issue... InDesign crashes every time I try to open the data merge utility.  I've been using this same file for 2+months, changing the data source to apply changes to the document, and all of a sudden, poof!  Doesn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 26, 2019 Jan 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have started having this issue with CC2019, I am not sure if it’s a result of a software update or what, but documents that worked previously don’t work anymore. I have set up a two-page document, and both pages are on their own master pages, and every time I select ‘create merged document‘ from the pallet, ID crashes. I am able to see the options and select the number of records et cetera, but when I want to actually merge, the crash happens.

I did manage to get the merge working by using actual document pages instead of master pages, but I find even the smallest of things may start causing problems with data merge. The process is very fickle and starts producing 'placeholder errors' almost without any reason. The only way to get things working is to create a whole new document, drag-and-drop the page template pages to it (and of course delete the existing blank first page), then import your data source again. That tends to fix things, at least for a while.

And regarding using scripts, I did have success using the script where you export to individual ID or PDF files using csv data field titles – even though the data merge wasn’t working. That script is simply amazing!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines