Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Manage Image Sizes when using Image Processor to convert .AI to .JPG

New Here ,
Feb 14, 2017 Feb 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all!

I have an unusual issue with using the image processor in Bridge/Photoshop that has me puzzled. I wish to use the image processor to convert large groups of .AI files to .JPG files. Within a given batch of images, the .AI files will have different sizes of bounding boxes. This means that when an .AI file is opened in PS, the small dialog will appear with image dimensions (in my case, it defaults to pixels) for width and height. So... here arises the problem:

The image processor does a great job of converting the files, except that the resulting files always are the same dimensions - and the dimensions appear to be the dimensions of the most recently opened .AI file. This causes the resulting .JPG files to be distorted/disproportional. I have found that the files save to the dimensions of the last .AI file that was opened in PS.

The only 'fix' to this issue to to open an .AI file of each dimensional size, and then run the image processor for all .AI files with that specific bounding box size. Then, repeat the process each time the bounding box size of the .AI file is different.

Using the 'Resize to Fit' option to limit the file size does not help. It keeps the file from not exceeding the set limit, but the distortion/disproportion is still present.

My goal is to be able to use the image processor to convert multiple .AI files to .JPG with the dimensions of all of the resulting files to be proportionally correct, and the same as the bounding box sizes of the .AI file.

I will attach a screenshot of the Image Processor settings I am using.

Adobe CC, most recent versions of all apps.

Any suggestions that anyone may have would be greatly appreciated!

ImageProcessor.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 15, 2017 Feb 15, 2017

Way easier way to do this.

Use the new Export Panel in Illustrator. It has MUCH more control over this, and you'll get better results. Rather than force feeding it through Photoshop, so that it rasterizes it, then saves it. Just do it all as part of the save process from Illustrator.

Go to Window > Asset Export to bring up the export pane. You can also use the File > Export to generate an export from a selected piece of art. You can also switch from an asset export to an artboard export. So by usi

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Feb 14, 2017 Feb 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Simply put AI file are not supported by Photoshop  Supported file formats in Photoshop also jpeg file are flat file Ai files support layers what you want to do is not posible.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 15, 2017 Feb 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. Thank you for your input. I understand that the .AI format (and other vector formats) are not natively supported in PS. However, PS is perfectly capable of opening such files, which it immediately rasterizes. You can then save the file as a raster graphic, such as a .PSD (with one layer) or flattened as a .JPG, for example. The problem I am describing is that when I open a vector file (such as the .AI files) using a batch method, PS seems to use the dimensions of the vector file most which I have most recently opened directly in PS or from Bridge. It seems that I should be able to choose to have PS use a certain defined group of settings for the rasterization process within the batch, eliminating the problem I am having. I will continue to look for other possible solutions. Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have illustrator, you can record an action exporting an ai file to jpeg and then use Batch to process your ai files to jpeg.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If  the image Processor does not open the AI files the way you want them open it has no open file options.  AI files seem to open in Photoshop as a imported PDF Layer or perhaps ans ESP layer.  In any case a flat pixel layer. You can set the Resolution and layer size you want the file scaled to with open options.  You would need to write a script to open AI file the way you want then open then save the layer in the image file format you want.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Way easier way to do this.

Use the new Export Panel in Illustrator. It has MUCH more control over this, and you'll get better results. Rather than force feeding it through Photoshop, so that it rasterizes it, then saves it. Just do it all as part of the save process from Illustrator.

Go to Window > Asset Export to bring up the export pane. You can also use the File > Export to generate an export from a selected piece of art. You can also switch from an asset export to an artboard export. So by using this feature, you could record an action or script to open all your files and export them out. Lots of ways to batch this. But in that pane you can set dimensions, rules, etc.

Screen Shot 2017-02-15 at 3.53.49 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 07, 2017 Nov 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to export images with pixel dimensions smaller than 1024px each, but it looks like the smallest export option using your method is 72ppi. I had been using bridge cs6 for this but that functionality was removed in cc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 07, 2017 Nov 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Brishen,

are you trying to export tp a specific pixel dimension? 72ppi is really only relevant to print as pixels for a display will map to whatever the resolution of the screen is.

For example if a display is physically 27" with a 3,840 pixel wide resolution. And you have another monitor that is 30" wide physically withi the same 3,840 pixel wide resolution. Than the physical size of the pixel is different between those two devices because the same number of pixels is spanning two different physical sizes.

You could export your images to the pixel dimension you want, and then change the physical size or PPI afterwards with an action.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines