Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

XPJ file disappeared

Dec 04, 2008 Dec 04, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I went to open my project and it was nolonger in RoboHelp7. So I went to my file and clicked on the XPJ file and it disappeared. I have tried to follow the instruction for a corrupt file as I did get an error that said the file was corrupt just before it disappeared. When I try to edit the .hhp file, it tries to open in RoboHelp 6 but errors out because my project was created in 7. How can I recover this file to open my project?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 04, 2008 Dec 04, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't think it was possible to have RH6 and RH7 installed on a PC at the same time. If you have managed it, that could be the cause of your problems - some conflict between RH6 and 7.

If you have both in Add/Remove Programs, I'd uninstall all versions and try re-installing RH7 from scratch.

Rick, Peter or one of the other gurus will probably have more ideas later.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 05, 2008 Dec 05, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can have RH HTML from 6 & 7 installed, it's dual installs of RH for Word that will give grief.

What do you mean by "I went to open my project and it was no longer in RoboHelp7."

I am also not sure how a file can "disappear".

From the rest of what you describe, it sounds as if the XPJ file association is with RH6 which is what I would expect, later versions don't take over from earlier versions. If you open RH7 and browse to the RH7 project, it should open OK.

When you have resolved this, find your Send To folder and add shortcuts to RH6 and RH7. Then you can right click any XPJ and choose the appropriate version.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 08, 2008 Dec 08, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I opened RoboHelp, my project is not listed under My Recent
Projects. I browsed for my project but there is not a XPJ file to open.
All the files within the project are there, but I can not open it in
RoboHelp. When I browsed the first time, I found the XPJ file but when I click on it to open, it disappeared (deleted itself).
I uninstalled both RH6 and 7, then reinstalled RH7 but am still having
the same result. I can not open the project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you looked in the Recycle bin for the XPJ?

Do you not have a backup of the project? You can lift the XPJ from that.

Otherwise create a backup and then open the project by opening RH and browsing to the HHP file in the project.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I looked in my backup and do not have an XPJ file there either.

When I try to open the HHP file I get an error: Your project file ic corrupt and cannot be opened. Try deleting this file and reopening the XPJ.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Delete the CPD file and try again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To add to my reply, I find it difficult to believe your backup does not have an XPJ file as well. Are you absolutely sure?

Create a new project and check that has one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created a new project and there is an XPJ file. I am not sure what happened with the current one as I am taking this over from another user.
I deleted the CPD file and now I get an error of: This is not an HPJ file. Please select an HPJ file to open.
However, I don't see an HPJ file either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created a new project and was able to pull in the project information by going to file and then browsed from there.
Not sure what happened but I beleive I now have what I need.
Thanks for all the help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
That would only work if the XPJ file existed!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp