• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Auto-select problem Photoshop 2017

New Here ,
Oct 25, 2017 Oct 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having a problem with the auto-select, basically, everytime I try to select a layer, it simply select another one. Normally, it always select the same layer (very often a text layer) in the document. So if I try to select a shape using auto-select (or even the CTRL hotkey), it select a random layer in my document. Does anyone knows what is happening?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 25, 2017 Oct 25, 2017

You unchecked auto-select and still can't Ctrl+click to select the layer under the cursor? That's odd.

Well, when the software starts misbehaving you can reset preferences. Be sure you've saved your workspace and brushes, etc.

PS delete prefs.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try turning Auto-select off to use the Ctrl+click technique?

Or is it set to Auto-select groups?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, still not working...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You unchecked auto-select and still can't Ctrl+click to select the layer under the cursor? That's odd.

Well, when the software starts misbehaving you can reset preferences. Be sure you've saved your workspace and brushes, etc.

PS delete prefs.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 08, 2017 Nov 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue. When I select an image layer thats within a masked shape, the shape gets selected instead of the image I actually want to select

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 08, 2017 Nov 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure that is the same thing—and a screen shot would help to clarify—but where you click in the Layers panel will determine whether you select the image on that layer, or on the mask. You can see the subtle corner highlights around the image or the mask as you click between them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 19, 2017 Dec 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I noticed when I right click over an object, where it usually shows all the overlapping layer names, it only shows the parent layers. None of the linked layers show up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 20, 2018 Jan 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

are you maybe selecting a text layer by marquee selecting with auto select and that is in a paragraph text mode and has a blank space in the paragraph box? because unfortunately Ps is selecting it if you are on top of that space.

if you click and drag over that space, the layer will be selected. this can cause problem and I am about to report this as a bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 12, 2018 Mar 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also having similar issues with auto select not selecting correct layers I am clicking on. It's been going on for a few months.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 12, 2018 Mar 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not a text issue. I'm painting in photoshop doing illustration.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 18, 2018 Aug 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you are autoselecting an object from the canvas or artboard and that object has any transparency, autoselect will not be activated if you click on the transparent regions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines