Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

change symbol background color by code

Explorer ,
Nov 06, 2017 Nov 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello,

Is there a way to change symbol background color by code dynamically?

i have it working like this.

function changebackground(hotbutton){

switch (hotbutton){

case "  2":

exportRoot.hotbtn_3.shape_1.graphics.f("#00FFFF").s().p("AhSBTQgjgiAAgxQAAgvAjgjQAigjAwABQAwgBAjAjQAjAjgBAvQABAxgjAiQgjAjgwAAQgwAAgigjg");

exportRoot.hotbtn_2.shape_1.graphics.f("#FF9900").s().p("AhSBTQgjgiAAgxQAAgvAjgjQAigjAwABQAwgBAjAjQAjAjgBAvQABAxgjAiQgjAjgwAAQgwAAgigjg");

exportRoot.hotbtn_2a.shape_1.graphics.f("#FF9900").s().p("AhSBTQgjgiAAgxQAAgvAjgjQAigjAwABQAwgBAjAjQAjAjgBAvQABAxgjAiQgjAjgwAAQgwAAgigjg");

exportRoot.hotbtn_2b.shape_1.graphics.f("#FF9900").s().p("AhSBTQgjgiAAgxQAAgvAjgjQAigjAwABQAwgBAjAjQAjAjgBAvQABAxgjAiQgjAjgwAAQgwAAgigjg");

break;

case "  3":

exportRoot.hotbtn_2.shape_1.graphics.f("#00FFFF").s().p("AhSBTQgjgiAAgxQAAgvAjgjQAigjAwABQAwgBAjAjQAjAjgBAvQABAxgjAiQgjAjgwAAQgwAAgigjg");

exportRoot.hotbtn_2a.shape_1.graphics.f("#00FFFF").s().p("AhSBTQgjgiAAgxQAAgvAjgjQAigjAwABQAwgBAjAjQAjAjgBAvQABAxgjAiQgjAjgwAAQgwAAgigjg");

exportRoot.hotbtn_3.shape_1.graphics.f("#FF9900").s().p("AhSBTQgjgiAAgxQAAgvAjgjQAigjAwABQAwgBAjAjQAjAjgBAvQABAxgjAiQgjAjgwAAQgwAAgigjg");

break;

}

}

but I'm changing the back ground color by doing it hard coded. I don't want to do this for 10-15 symbols.

thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 06, 2017 Nov 06, 2017

yes, you can:

exportRoot['button string'][shape string']

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what's the logic used to determine which objects to color?

ie, case 2 colors, 3,2,2a and 2b.  case 3 color 2,2a and 3.  i don't see a logical pattern.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so when hotbutton = "   2"

I'm changing the symbol 3 background back to it's orginal color

exportRoot.hotbtn_3.shape_1.graphics.f("#00FFFF").s().p("AhSBTQgjgiAAgxQAAgvAjgjQAigjAwABQAwgBAjAjQAjAjgBAvQABAxgjAiQgjAjgwAAQgwAAgigjg");

then

I'm changing sumbol 2 background color to an orange color

exportRoot.hotbtn_2.shape_1.graphics.f("#FF9900").s().p("AhSBTQgjgiAAgxQAAgvAjgjQAigjAwABQAwgBAjAjQAjAjgBAvQABAxgjAiQgjAjgwAAQgwAAgigjg");

This is the part i don't want to keep hard coding

exportRoot.buttonname.shape

is there a way we can use a varaible

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i don't understand how your response answers my question, but yes, you can use a string in place of shape_1 etc:

exportRoot.buttonname['shape name']

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

can we do that with the button name?

so instead of hotbtn_2 can we replace that with a string or variable name?

I'm so sorry maybe I'm not asking the right question I know what I want to do but maybe I'm not asking right.

thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, you can:

exportRoot['button string'][shape string']

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much!

I got that to work. Is there another way to change the fill color or background color of the symbol instead of having to cold that long string?

.p("AhSBTQgjgiAAgxQAAgvAjgjQAigjAwABQAwgBAjAjQAjAjgBAvQABAxgjAiQgjAjgwAAQgwAAgigjg")

thanks again for your help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you're welcome.

to do what you want would require you to convert that background to an object (eg, movieclip), assign it an instance name and then you could use that name in your code.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So even though we have the button or symbol name hotbtn_2 we just can't talk to it with that?

We have to set up another  object?

Hopefully this makes sense.

Thank you,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If there are only two colors, just make each button image a movieclip with two frames, one color in each frame. Then use gotoAndStop(0) or gotoAndStop(1) to set the color. Or have the two versions in the same frame on top of each other and set their .visible property to show the desired color.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you can use filters to change its color but that's not efficient and it's better to use the solution suggested by ClayUUID​ if you have a small number of different colors to choose from.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 07, 2017 Nov 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way we can pull that long string and put it into a variable?

.p("AhSBTQgjgiAAgxQAAgvAjgjQAigjAwABQAwgBAjAjQAjAjgBAvQABAxgjAiQgjAjgwAAQgwAAgigjg")

something like this var longstring = exportRoot.hotbtn_2.p()

then longstring would equal this AhSBTQgjgiAAgxQAAgvAjgjQAigjAwABQAwgBAjAjQAjAjgBAvQABAxgjAiQgjAjgwAAQgwAAgigjg

thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sure.

var s1 = "AhSBTQgjgiAAgxQAAgvAjgjQAigjAwABQAwgBAjAjQAjAjgBAvQABAxgjAiQgjAjgwAAQgwAAgigjg";

exportRoot['button string'][shape string'].graphics.f("#00FFFF").s().p(s1);

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

okay thank you.

But can you grab that long string from the properties of hotbtn_2.

hopefully this makes sense

thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i don't believe those strings are created until you publish your project so i don't believe you can retrieve those strings except by checking your published files.

the strings appear consistent with subsequent publishings unless you change a shape.  then it looks like the strings all change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay thank you. Because my problem is if I have 150 diagrams with button symbols each diagram is going to have different publish strings for the buttons so i was thinking of a way to pull them in dynamically instead of hard coding that long string in every time. But the rule that we have created each diagram must have the same name on each button symbol.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also can you retrieve them after the project has been created?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

after you publish, you can retrieve the strings.

if you don't make any shape-changes to any of the shapes, i think the strings remain unchanged from one publish to another.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

okay how do you retrieve them?

Thank you so much for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

by inspecting the js file in a text editor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know that but you can't retrieve them by javascript code?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well, after checking more carefully i think that can be done, though i've never done it before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay I will keep trying to figure it out. So far I am almost done with what I want to accomplish.

Thank you so much again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you're welcome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 08, 2017 Nov 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you should be able to access the desired shape inside your symbol and change its fill style.

Here is a simple example.

Assuming you have a simple symbol with just a single shape with red color, named mySymbol:

exportRoot.mySymbol.shape.graphics._fill.style = "#0000FF"; //changes its color to blue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines