• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

AfterEffects 2018 won't open / convert 2017 project

New Here ,
Oct 25, 2017 Oct 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently had to upgrade to CC/AE 2018 (because every time there's an update, AE refuses to open any project without updating first).

After completing the update process, none of my project files that were created with previous versions of AE (mainly 2017), can be opened anymore.

AE tries to convert them to the current AE 2018 version - but fails. Depending on which project I try to open, the conversion process progresses to 0-93% before crashing.

I don't run any third party plug-ins, if that is important.

Has anyone experienced something similar and is able to help me fix this?

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 07, 2017 Nov 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem, it seems depends from projects with 3D layers. 2 recent projects won't open anymore, I'm trying to open them with Afx cc 2017...
Now I can open and edit them.

This is really bad, I need the older version installed if my customer ask me for corrections...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 07, 2017 Nov 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for replying!

I too use 3D layers in my projects.

However I did try reinstalling 2017 but to no avail. The outcome is still the same with most my projects: AE will get stuck trying to load the project/linked video files and eventually crash.

And since I use Dynamic Links quite a bit, the same goes for Premiere Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 08, 2017 Nov 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem my friend. And indeed upon calling adobe support they dont even know about this issue. Thats a shame. Adobe get you sh**** together.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 08, 2017 Nov 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

similar thread. see if this helps:

Re: CC 2018 Worst update Ever ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2017 Nov 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update:

We did clean-install Win7 and After Effects CC 2017 (AE only!) and kept the PC offline as long as possible and only went online to quickly activate AE.

We then tried to open one of the AE projects, that I wasn't able to open previously. It did open! (But logically was missing dynamic links and Dolby codec etc.) We then saved to project under another name (let's just call it "project-working.aep" for now).

After that we installed Adobe Premiere Pro and Media Encoder. And what do you know? The "old" problems are back and I cannot open any of the "old" projects.

However, weirdly I can open the project I saved as "project-working.aep". However, the Premiere Pro project, that gets its dynamic links from that AE project, does not open (even after renaming the AE project).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 15, 2017 Nov 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ITA,

Can you contact our agents here please? Contact Customer Care

Let us know what they say.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 20, 2017 Nov 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good day!

I DID contact the support multiple times and provided them with everything they asked for. Multiple times.

Last time I spoke to them on the phone they promised to try and find a solution and get back to me.

Now I see that all your so-called support did is pretend the problem is solved and close the ticket. Now I have to get back on the phone, wait forever till someone picks up and describe my problems again? That's not how support works!

Why did your support close the ticket? Based on what grounds?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 09, 2018 Mar 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Kevin,

Is there a solution to this - business crippled at the moment!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 09, 2018 Mar 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a fix for this now? Having same issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines