Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

OCing Memory: Will It Improve Pr?

Advocate ,
Nov 01, 2017 Nov 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys and gals -

I just got a new Asus Rampage VI Extreme board, along with an Intel 7900X chip that was de-lidded by the folks at Silicon Lottery.  For record: they pull the IHS off the chip, clean out the horrible TIM that Intel uses, replace it with Liquid Metal, and seal the chip back up.  Then they overclock it as far as it can go and bin the resulting chips.  I got a 4.7GHz one from them.

PPBM results here:

"21","38","7","163", Premiere Version:, 12.0.0.224

Anyway, I also purchased 64GB of RAM off of Asus' QVL; meaning it should hit an OC of 2400MHz.  Unfortunately, Asus' cruddy BIOS can't manage to OC it properly using the XMP profiles, so I've held off on pushing any further.  My question is: will a 2400MHz RAM OC improve the performance in Pr any?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Nov 02, 2017 Nov 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jasonvp  wrote

Anyway, I also purchased 64GB of RAM off of Asus' QVL; meaning it should hit an OC of 2400MHz. 

That's 4200MHz.  Apparently I couldn't type last night...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Nov 02, 2017 Nov 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to manage a 4000MHz RAM overclock.

"35","34","7","160", Premiere Version:, 12.0.0.224

So some improvement to the second and fourth tests, but a loss in disk I/O for some reason.  That's curious.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Nov 08, 2017 Nov 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awesome PPBM results Jason!!!

What's your complete build list, I'd love to see it to reflect on as I plan my first x299 build.

I had not heard of Silicon Lottery before and did not want to "de-lid" myself, so I really appreciate learning about this from you.

Thanks for sharing.

Regards,

Jim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim -

JEShort01  wrote

Awesome PPBM results Jason!!!

What's your complete build list, I'd love to see it to reflect on as I plan my first x299 build.

I had not heard of Silicon Lottery before and did not want to "de-lid" myself, so I really appreciate learning about this from you.

Thanks for the kind words.  The new parts of the build:

This complimented my existing system:

• 2 Titan X Pascal GPUs
  • Samsung 960 Pro 1TB NVMe drive - system/apps
  • Samsung SM951 M.2 drive - scratch
  • 2 Samsung 850 2TB SSDs striped into 4TB - media/projects
  • Dual custom water cooling loops (this is a BIG deal)

The CPU came from Silicon Lottery with a sheet of paper listing the overclock settings:

• 47 ratio
  • 1.237V vcore
  • -3 AVX
  • -5 AVX512

And sure enough, it works wonderfully with that.  The memory XMP just flat out didn't work.  It properly set all of the RAM's properties along with a 4200MHz overclock.  But the board wouldn't boot past the "Code 80, Detecting Memory".  When I dropped the memory speed down to DDR4-4000, it booted right up.  And it's been doing that since then.

What else can I answer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great results.  If you get time I would try backing off slightly on the RAM speed  to see if you get the Disk I/O speed goes back to normal.  You may be handing data from the memory faster that the PCIe bus can handle it.  Remember Microsoft Windows and Premiere basic software were designed in the hard disk drive era an there may be some mismatches

But I am disappointed that the RAM overclocking on the CPU intensive score only changed from 163 seconds to 160 seconds.  For your i7-7900X 10-core at 4.7GHz at 160 seconds you are very close to the Threadripper 1950X 16-core at stock turbo speed of 4.0GHz which scored 156 seconds.  Of course you will probably outperform almost any other system on any non or lousy multithreaded coding because of the 4.7 GHz clocking.

With your 7 seconds for the very heavy GPU Accelerated timeline export it is the best score I have seen, of course for two Titan X Pascal's you should be the leader but is it worth it for Premiere Pro?  Those two are a $3000+ expense and I have two GTX 1060 SC & OC at $270 each that do it in 11 seconds.  I imagine if I added one more it would be within a second or two of that 7 seconds.  Running the same timeline with no acceleration (160 seconds) and with GPU Acceleration 7 seconds versus 11 seconds is almost insignificant.

The second PPBM number is the GPU accelerated 7-layer H.264 timeline is also CPU sensitive and you can see the improvement from 38 seconds to 34 seconds is clearly from the faster RAM.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bill -

If you get time I would try backing off slightly on the RAM speed  to see if you get the Disk I/O speed goes back to normal.

I've got another trick or two up my sleeve to see if I can't speed things up a bit more.  When I have some time, I'm going to give it a whirl.

For your i7-7900X 10-core at 4.7GHz at 160 seconds you are very close to the Threadripper 1950X 16-core at stock turbo speed of 4.0GHz which scored 156 seconds

It's an interesting comparison between faster clocks and 20 (v)cores vs slightly slower clocks but 32 (v)cores.  The difference is the Threadrippers don't really have a lot of wiggle room when it comes to OC'ing, from what I understand.  If I wanted to wait for Silicon Lottery, I could have purchased a 4.8GHz-certified chip.  But I didn't want the extra expense, and they're forever sold-out of that one.

With your 7 seconds for the very heavy GPU Accelerated timeline export it is the best score I have seen, of course for two Titan X Pascal's you should be the leader but is it worth it for Premiere Pro?  Those two are a $3000+ expense

A few things here:

• Those cards cost me $1200 each from NVidia, so $2400 total.
  • They're the May 2016 version, which means they're the gimped GP102 GPU
  • Today's $1200/card will get you the un-gimped GP102 card with more CUDA cores and faster memory along with a slightly faster base clock.

I certainly don't regret purchasing them last year.  I've enjoyed using them ever since. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Nov 10, 2017 Nov 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One bit that I forgot with my specs that does matter: GPU overclocking.  My Titans are OC'd +200MHz core, and +500MHz memory.  And I'm over-volting them (as allowed in their on-board BIOS) as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you noticed that when you open a CUDA application that it reduces the Memory Clock slightly from what you set the clock to in your overclocking tool.  If you use GPU-Z and look at the Sensors Tab with a GPU accelerated load you will see what I am talking about.  What is you actual Memory Clock speed so I can record it for your Titans.  I run any and all GPU's with memory overclock at stock voltages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Bill+Gehrke  wrote

What is you actual Memory Clock speed so I can record it for your Titans.

Yes, the memory speed drops back down to stock.  With the OC set and Premiere not running, this is what MSI Afterburner reports:

no-load.PNG

When I fire up Premiere and load up PPBM:

load.PNG

So 5005MHz is the number for the VRAM.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines