Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Estimating a Help project

Participant ,
Dec 05, 2008 Dec 05, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Has anyone got any advice/best practice, or even better, a project spreadsheet that I could use to provide estimates for document conversions to Help systems? Ideally, I'd like to feed in the number of pages plus other factors/deliverables and end up with a reasonably accurate timescale.

Rather than re-inventing the wheel I wondered if anyone out there already had something I could use/modify.

Here's hoping!

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi jop22.

We use a spreadsheet here to provide rough estimates of effort (produced at the high level requirements step) which are then fed into a project plan. We have to revisit then frequently when the project scope changes. I doubt it would be much use to you though is it required a fairly detailed knowledge of the documentation we produce.

The crux of such a process is know your documentation, try and get your project scope agreed up front and not to have 40+ change requests as we do here. Best of luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Colum -

You lucky dog - only 40+ CRs? We have had several hundred!

Regards,
GEWB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ROTFL. Thank you for making me feel better instantly! Mind you in our last release we had CR003 listing nine changes, CR017 which overrode CR003 and deleted three changes and CR019 that reinstated one of them. Also what is worrying me is that with our numbering system for CRs we have scope to catch you up!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
quote:

Originally posted by: Colum McAndrew
ROTFL. Thank you for making me feel better instantly! Mind you in our last release we had CR003 listing nine changes, CR017 which overrode CR003 and deleted three changes and CR019 that reinstated one of them. Also what is worrying me is that with our numbering system for CRs we have scope to catch you up!

Hello Colum -

Are you working for the same client as us because that drill sounds familiar...just add that one change affects six windows, eight db tables, two training manuals and four context Help topics...oh, and the client wants the work done at no charge.

Sigh.

Regards,
GEWB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp