Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Colors in PS are different from the ones in Illustrator

New Here ,
Nov 09, 2017 Nov 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I have 2 working computers, 1 has a normal low end monitor (and the latest PS), the other one has a DELL U2713H (1 before latest PS as i didn't upgrade yet for fear of loosing any personal settings).

On both devices i have the same color management model and the programs are in sync (north america general purpouse 2).

I have 2 separate issues.

1. If i copy an object in IL (RGB settings) and paste it in PS (RGB/8), the color picker in PS shows different color from the one that was in IL.

I can bypass this on the device with the cheap monitor by going into PS ---> edit ---> assighn profile ---> don't color manage this document (this causes the colors to match)

On my DELL computer however, nothing changes.

2. If i take a screenshot of IL, and paste it to PS, my crappy screen computer will color pick same color while the DELL computer will again pick a different color.

Note: exporting from illustrator as psd and opening in photoshop works ok but is time consuming as i use this method when i want to check something in PS really fast and then jump right back to IL. So copy pasting and then clicking on smart object was the best way i found.

Does someone know how to solve this?

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 09, 2017 Nov 09, 2017

Dell profiles are notoriously bad, inaccurate or outright broken. We've seen a lot of of those here. In addition, it all depends on the actual settings in the monitor. The profile needs to reflect the monitor's actual, current response - no generic profile can do that .

With a wide gamut monitor, a calibrator is an essential part of the package. No wide gamut monitor should ever be sold without one - along with a warning to never use the unit with applications that aren't fully color managed. Th

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have a lot of loose ends here. Are you aware that the U2713H is a wide gamut monitor, and what the implications are? Did no one inform you of this?

A wide gamut monitor can only be used in a fully color managed environment, and you must calibrate and profile it properly, so that those color managed applications have a valid monitor profile to work with.

No exceptions. This is the deal wiith these units. Without full color management, a wide gamut monitor will never display correctly.

"Don't color manage" is always a monumentally bad idea, but in your case it's a rapidly downward spin. You'll mess up everything with no way back, because what you see on screen is very, very wrong.

A screenshot is in monitor color space, not document color space. This means assign the monitor profile first, then convert to a standard color space like sRGB or Adobe RGB. Then it will match the document.

The monitor profile is your main concern here. Get that in order first. Don't change anything in Color Settings here or in Illustrator, the defaults are safe and everything should be handled correctly by that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, i did do some research on this aswell, and from what i understood (i could be wrong since i'm not very technical) i should have the correct color profile. Here is the screenshot:

Pasted image at 2017_11_09 03_52 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dell profiles are notoriously bad, inaccurate or outright broken. We've seen a lot of of those here. In addition, it all depends on the actual settings in the monitor. The profile needs to reflect the monitor's actual, current response - no generic profile can do that .

With a wide gamut monitor, a calibrator is an essential part of the package. No wide gamut monitor should ever be sold without one - along with a warning to never use the unit with applications that aren't fully color managed. This should be on a huge red sticker right across the screen out of the box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Allright, thanks for all the help, i'll do some research on how to correctly set up the profile and report if it helped or not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines