• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot adjust "space after" for TOC Style

Community Beginner ,
Nov 09, 2017 Nov 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having trouble adjusting the "space after" a TOC title. I have a TOC for each chapter of a textbook that shows on the first page of the chapter. For some reason, in one chapter there is less space between the title and 1st entry than there is in other chapters. These pics are of my Master for First Page of a Chapter in each file. I prefer the spacing in the second one, but when I try to copy the Paragraph Style from one file to the other, it doesn't change the spacing. I have looked things over and cannot see a difference. Both are using the same TOC Style, and the same Object Style to create the text box. But nothing I do allows me to adjust the space after the TOC Chapter Title. I also cannot adjust the Inset Spacing on the bottom of the frame. I would love to add a little more space below the final text.

Any suggestions on where to look?

Screen Shot 2017-11-09 at 7.00.40 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-11-09 at 7.01.09 PM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 10, 2017 Nov 10, 2017

So the issue was that your 1-column text frame had mixed span settings. Spans are used to direct a paragraph to span multiple columns, and you can define space above and below.

TOC Chapter Title was set to Span 2.

Screenshot 2017-11-10 08.23.15.png

TOC L1 was set to None.

Screenshot 2017-11-10 08.23.30.png

The fix is to remove the span on TOC Chapter Title and redefine the style. With the spans set to none, you now have control over the spacing. (Chapter 2 didn't have the mixed spans—that's why it worked as expected.)

Screenshot 2017-11-10 08.23.56.png

The secondary question was on the spacing with in

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share those exact two screen shots but with your cursor in the chapter title text on the page, and switch the Control Panel to the ¶ view so that we can see the spacing values?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2017-11-09 at 10.58.42 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-11-09 at 10.59.25 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-11-09 at 11.02.52 PM.png

I don't think there are any character styles applied anywhere in the frame.

Screen Shot 2017-11-09 at 11.06.39 PM.png

Any changes I make in Space Before or Space After do not change anything in the frame.

It seems something is overriding, but I don't know where to look.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 10, 2017 Nov 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are the 1.1 paras snapped to a baseline grid?

If not, can you share those two pages on Dropbox? You can post a link here (public) or via message (private).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there another place I would have aligned them to the baseline grid besides the paragraph style options?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can see if they are aligned as an override in the Control Panel:

Screenshot 2017-11-10 07.49.09.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They do not appear to be aligned. I sent you a message with a link to the files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So the issue was that your 1-column text frame had mixed span settings. Spans are used to direct a paragraph to span multiple columns, and you can define space above and below.

TOC Chapter Title was set to Span 2.

Screenshot 2017-11-10 08.23.15.png

TOC L1 was set to None.

Screenshot 2017-11-10 08.23.30.png

The fix is to remove the span on TOC Chapter Title and redefine the style. With the spans set to none, you now have control over the spacing. (Chapter 2 didn't have the mixed spans—that's why it worked as expected.)

Screenshot 2017-11-10 08.23.56.png

The secondary question was on the spacing with in the frame. Because you have rounded corners, you can only set one inset value for all 4 sides (90˙ corners let you set the four sides independently.) Also, the alignment is set to vertical center, and the use of the the bevel shading, the text is sitting too low in the frame. Compare the two frames below—the only difference is that I set the alignment top on both and removed the fill on the second one. The insets are identical, but visually the top one looks imbalanced.

Screenshot 2017-11-10 08.34.50.png

So to counter the visual imbalance, I I would set the alignment to top and the manually increase the height of the frame until it looks balanced again.

Screenshot 2017-11-10 08.38.14.png

Hope that helps!

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Barb!

I think most of my problems have been created by creating new paragraph styles based on another style that gets changed later. I know now to be more careful about that! I was having a very difficult time tracking that down.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First of all, always happy to help.

Secondly, here's one more tip. In a book situation like this, when you have a chapter that is working correctly, you can sync the settings to the other chapters in the books. That would have fixed this, but we wouldn't have identified the underlying problem.

Scroll down to "Synchronize book documents" for more details:

Create book files with Adobe InDesign

Happy weekend!

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Barb, I have tried that before but ran into some problems. Here is one more question that might help me clean it up. If you look in the Chapter 2 file, on the second page (10) that has a beveled box in the middle of the page, the object style on that box has an override on it that I cannot figure out what it is. If I remove it, the spacing messes up. So I know there is an error in my Object Style. How do I view what is being overriden? This is one thing that messes up if I synch my book.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Paul. I see what is going on there as well. Unfortunately I just lost power so I can't send screenshots. But briefly that frame is using the new size and position controls in the object style. Plus it is anchored. I don't see any good reason to use these two features together. When I remove the sizing and position controls from the object style and re-anchor it correctly it works just fine.  I can come back this afternoon with more detail if you need it once my computers come back on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I create a lot of these boxes throughout the book and want as much as possible to be set in the Object Style so I do not have to manually adjust every time. I made these adjustments: Screen Shot 2017-11-10 at 12.59.15 PM.png

And that puts it in the right place. Then I went into Object Style and set Position to None in Size and Position Options.

Then in Anchored Object Options, I set them all the same as the above. This works on the file I saved for you (a copy of my original), but on my original, I still have an override! When I remove it the box jumps. I saved you another copy of my original file so you can see it.

Is there no way to see what the override is?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The overrides were baffling to me. They indicated left and right insets, which you can't possibly have because the rectangle has rounded corners.

Here's how I got it working:

1. I selected the anchored frame and cut it. Then pasted it back on the page to break the anchor, and moved it to the pasteboard.
  2. I edited the style to remove both the size and position settings—you don't need them.
  3. In Text Frame Options > Baseline Options > Baseline=Ascent because although you had the alignment set to top, it was not at the top.
  4. Left text wrap on and pulled the box back into position.
  5. I re-anchored by Shift+dragging the blue anchor box to the bottom of the previous paragraph.
    Screenshot 2017-11-10 13.54.37.png
  6. I right-clicked on Highlighted Principle > Redefine Style

Overrides were gone. You should be good to go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

May I ask HOW you were seeing what the overrides are?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hover over the name in the Object Styles panel. Screenshot 2017-11-10 14.34.03.png tooltip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for all your patient help! This has helped a lot. You answered a lot of nagging questions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Always happy to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe you accidentally have a character style applied to one or the other?

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or, you do you have the frame set to Vertical Justification: Justify?

Screenshot 2017-11-09 19.05.32.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barb!

Oooh. Good one. Maybe the OP has baseline grid locked on one of the two?

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's another possibility, Mike. (Oh, and hi Mike!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mike from me, too, as I follow this thread

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines