• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Rotate Trapcode particular (Sprinkler Effect)

New Here ,
Nov 07, 2017 Nov 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everyone,

I am currently working on a holding screen animation and I am using the most recent version of RG Trapcode Particular in After Effects.

I have been able to make a bi-directional emitter that emits at the desired rate but I would like to vary the direction of emittance to create what is best described as a sprinkler effect. I feel that this may have something to do with the Y rotation- but no idea how to make this variable.

See a diagram here.

When I rotate the entire effect via keyframes the whole effect is rotated. I need the particles to keep moving along their set path determined at the point of emittance.

Any help is much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Monique

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 09, 2017 Nov 09, 2017

I would approach this project using a couple of spotlights as the emitters. Just parent them both to a null and spin the null. Using a light as an emitter gives you a bunch more control. Just get your stream going, add lights and name them emitter and you end up with Something like this in about 2 minutes.

Screen Shot 2017-11-09 at 10.13.21 PM.png

I would spend a little time on the Red Giant site and explore some of the excellent tutorials they have on Particular.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Engaged ,
Nov 07, 2017 Nov 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I rotate on the Y axis my points maintain their pre-determined path as you need.
Is this your setup?particular.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 09, 2017 Nov 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for the reply.

This is my current setup with the animation in progress.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Common rookie mistake.  You're rotating the solid that Particular is on & not the emitter.  That's wrong.  You need to animate the rotation of the emitter within the the effect's native controls.  When working with particular (and any effect applied to a solid) forget about the solid.  Don't touch it.  It's just a container for the effect.  If you pay attention you might notice that when you rotate the solid where the sides cut the corners of the composition your particles "pop off".  That's because the particles will only display within the bounding box of the solid.  All the animating for particular is done in the effect's controls not the layer's. 

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I would approach this project using a couple of spotlights as the emitters. Just parent them both to a null and spin the null. Using a light as an emitter gives you a bunch more control. Just get your stream going, add lights and name them emitter and you end up with Something like this in about 2 minutes.

Screen Shot 2017-11-09 at 10.13.21 PM.png

I would spend a little time on the Red Giant site and explore some of the excellent tutorials they have on Particular.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines