Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Installation file is damaged" when installing an AIR supported app

Community Beginner ,
Nov 07, 2017 Nov 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Sorry an error has occurred.

The application could not be installed because the installer file is damaged. Try obtaining a new installer file from the application author."

This is the message I get every time I try to install an AIR supported app.

In the log files, I see "Got an unexpected fatal error while unpackaging: [ErrorEvent type="error" bubbles=false cancelable=false eventPhase=2 text="invalid package signature" errorID=5022]"

The app is a bit old (2012 i think). I have the latest version of Adobe AIR as of this writing (downloaded, and installed today), system time is correct, and the .air file is being run from my local hard drive.

Anything I can do short of setting my clock to an earlier date, or completely reinstalling Windows?

I see this as a common issue with many threads. The only work arounds/solutions I've seen don't seem to work, or involve changing my date, or reinstalling windows.

OS = Windows 10 Pro 64-bit on a high end gaming PC.

TOPICS
Installation

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 07, 2017 Nov 07, 2017

Hi,

This is a known issue. Could you change the date to any date before 30th Oct and try installing the app and see if it works for you? We are seeing some certificate issues with older apps.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

This is a known issue. Could you change the date to any date before 30th Oct and try installing the app and see if it works for you? We are seeing some certificate issues with older apps.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It worked to allow me to install the app, but I was trying NOT to have to do that! This is a horrible workaround, because changing the date to an incorrect date can cause problems, including, but not limited to system crashes.

If you're seeing these certificate issues, then it sounds like an update to Adobe AIR is likely the culprit. Hope you get it sorted soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 08, 2017 Nov 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is not related to Adobe AIR update. It is related to the certificates with which these apps have been packaged. You will have to repackage the app with a newer certificate.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not my app, and I'm not a programmer, so I'm not going to mess with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, Thawte sais a once successfully signed AIR App will be installable for ever...

So what can we do?

Maybe Adobe could deliver a new AIR Version with an installer that accept these certificates. Its AIR that refuses installation not the certificate.

PS:

Thawte just told me to contact Adobe.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 10, 2017 Nov 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

For the non-working apps, you need to repackage the .air apps. Please refer to Adobe AIR applications installation issue , for steps to repackage.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 28, 2017 Nov 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My App is signed with a SHA256 cert as per the article posted, not SHA-1, but my installer is still failing. Please advise...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 01, 2017 Dec 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you state this ? I'm using Adobe packaged AIR when installing CS5.5, so as far as I know, YOU are the ones who packaged that one, is there going to be fix for those? Tried redownloading from your site, but same issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 12, 2017 Dec 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Please download the latest version of Adobe AIR from get.adobe.com/air. Workaround is available for the above mentioned issue without changing the system date or repackaging the .air app. . Steps to use the workaround can be found on  Adobe AIR applications installation issue

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @divya_1993

The issue is not Adobe AIR per say. But Adobe CS5.5 which has a packaged AIR inside the package. CS5.5 has been downloaded from Adobe site (and re-downloaded 2 weeks ago and still same issue). When installing CS5.5 there is AIR applications INSIDE 5.5 installation which fails because their sign in is old. Now how can I fix this? As these are Adobe signed applications in CS 5.5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Could you please specify which AIR applications are you referring to inside CS5.5

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AdobeHelp.air and AdobeContentViewer (DesktopPreviewer.air)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 14, 2018 Apr 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

can you help me please. how to fix adobe installer "the installation cannot continue as the installer file may be damaged" in windows 7

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 21, 2018 Apr 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Did you follow the steps mentioned on Adobe AIR applications installation issue page.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 26, 2018 Apr 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Solution for "The installation cannot continue as the installer file may be damaged"

You need to install a certificate in order for Windows to allow the Setup to run.

The needed certificate is shown in Event Viewer.

For me the certificate was located at

http://www.download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3/static/trustedr/en/3679CA35668772304D30A5...

It was valid until 2037

(Before installing a certificate, you should check it to see if it belongs to the real, trusted issuer.)

If you get an installation error because of a certificate, Event Viewer will show you what certificate is needed.

After you get the installation error, open the windows Event viewer from the start menu - type eventvwr.msc or eventvwr.exe

Navigate to the tab: Event Viewer (Loca) > Windows Logs > Application

Right-click the Application entry and choose "Clear Log..." before running the Adobe Set-up.exe in order to clear the event list of previous errors.

Run Set-up.exe and wait for the error message: "The installation cannot continue as the installer file may be damaged..."

Check the Application tab of the Event Viewer and see what certificate is needed - it will give you a web link to the certificate.

If you are connected to the internet and the setup doesn't install the certificate automatically, install it manually:

Open Internet Explorer and go the web link printed in the Error message of the Event Viewer, for example:

http://www.download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3/static/trustedr/en/3679CA35668772304D30A5...

Save the .crt file, right click on it and choose "Install Certificate".

Click next.

Choose "Place all certificates in the following store"

Click Browse

Select Trusted Root Certification Authorities

Click Nest and Finish.

After all the needed certificates are installed, run the Adobe "Set-up.exe again, and it should work.

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 06, 2018 Feb 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. if you are not getting popup to auto-update the AdobeAIRIInstaller then first update the windows registry How do I disable auto-update of AIR?  UpdateDisabled  to 0 and restart the system.
  2. Run as administrator and click on AdobeAIRInstaller.exe  this will open  a pop up window to update if your version let's assume X is older than 18.0.0.144 then first it will  migrate you to X to 18.0.0.144 .
  3. Repeat the step 2 to upgrade  18.0.0.144 to 28.0.0.127
  4. Now install your application your application should install successfully.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please can you tell me will this help two 'older' ladies (75 & 80) who have very little computer experience in working with/updating software to re-install the Docraft Digital designer program that requires Adobe air to installed first but we keep receiving the message telling us that the Adobe air installation file is damaged and we need to contact the installation author whoever that is!!!!!

We have been happily using the digital designer program for our hobby of cardmaking before on our Windows laptops but since the end of last year, we are unable to download the program anymore (we have both updated our laptops to Windows 10 & a MacBook) due to not being able to install Adobe air.

Has anyone actually managed to contact Adobe as we can't find out how to speak to them regarding this problem? We see different replies trying to help others but as we are not experts we are unsure about trying any of the suggestions.

Please somebody from Adobe if you are reading this please help us.

Thanking you in anticipation. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you can download  latest adobe from Adobe - Adobe AIR  This will download the later Adobe air. You can install  this.

You can check in windows  control panel and "program and feature" it should display new adobe air which should

Once Adobe Air is installed, you should be able to install digital designer program successfully.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 07, 2018 Feb 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply but we have already tried this and we receive the same message telling us that the file is damaged etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 21, 2018 Feb 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It still does not work on adobe air version 28.00 when will a new version be released, it is very frustrating not being able to use software which needs adobe air, windows 10 is a nightmare but this really needs to be sorted out

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 21, 2018 Feb 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Janine,

I have adobe air now but I don't know if this is an update, I thought it was but not sure now.

Have you tried going to Do-Craft Digital Designer website and installing the program from there this is what my friend & I did last week and we were successful?

Good luck,

Barbara

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 15, 2018 Mar 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am experiencing this same error but in my case I have determined it is due to the installer file being too big. My app includes a folder of video files and my installer is a whopping 724MB. If I remove the folder of video files it installs fine. So perhaps there is a maximum file size for air installers?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why adobe says date before 30th Oct 2017 , Could someone let me know this?

Thanks in Advance

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2018 Feb 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could  someone tell me why 30 Oct 2017? How adobe decided this date?

Thank you in advance

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines