Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Classic CC almost freezes when starting sync to cloud

Community Beginner ,
Oct 23, 2017 Oct 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

upgraded to Lightroom Classic CC and migrated my main Library two days ago.

Everything looks fine so far, except when I start the Lightroom Mobile sync. Lightroom slows down extremely (opening a Folder containing 10 pictures in Library Mode takes several minutes).

As soon as I start syncing I see permanent high load on the drive where my pictures are stored. First I thought it's some kind of initial Lib loading or something like this. I tried to wait for Lightroom to finish (different tries: for 1h, 2h and for 10 h - in this time the whole Lib can be read for many times). It never stopped.

There is almost no write acitivity on all drives only reading from the one with the lib.

At the moment there are several Smart Previes which should be synced to LR Mobile and around 250 RAWs which should be synced from my iPad to LR Classic CC. In 10 hours 15 RAWs where downloaded. Internet bandwith is no problem. Most of the time no there is no activity, then the download of a single picture is done in seconds.

Does anyone else have this problem? Any ideas what's the reason/solution?

ThanksHubert

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 05, 2017 Nov 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue.

LR-Classic CC gets unusable when Sync is On. Syncing queue -almost- does no change after many hours. -Almost- No network activity.

Regards.

PacoCT

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have any ideas what's the reason?

Maybe we can compare our setup:

My catalogue and the previews are on my local disk. The pictures are on an external disk.

There are about 50000 pictures in this catalogue.

Lightroom Mobile syncs to the external disk in the same folder structure.

When I start syncing I see 50 GB of 1TB used. I have the standard photography plan (which should have only 20 GB of cloud storage). Maybe it's a problem if I synced more than this before the upgrade?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 06, 2017 Nov 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, xoDREI.

As for the amount of cloud storage used, I'm at 18Gb, so, in principle, that should not be an issue in my case. Moreover, I do not get any message from Adobe when uploading and downloading through my two android devices. The processes go smooth (and fast) on both android devices. Furthermore, I am no getting any issue with Lightroom CC (the cloud base new version of LR as oppose to Lightroom Classic CC).

Concerning my configuration, in my main computer I have a catalog of 240000+ photos. Of those, 13000+ are in Collections synced with the Cloud (Adobe's). The original files are distributed in 3 HDD. LR's catalog, as well as very recent photos are in a SDD (one of the 3 previously mentioned). The Mobile-Lightroom-Classic-CC's local storage is assigned to a fourth HDD. I've tried many actions -following the advice from older topics-, among them,  I've deleted the local storage folder, I have tried to assign LR's local storage to a different HDD, uninstall -and reinstall- Lightroom CC (not the Classic version) etc. but the problem persisted.  In these processes I've already lost some 500+ photos which I expect -hopefully- to recover from a backup.

The main issues I'm facing in LR-Classic CC, are:

- Syncing metadata changes takes a lot of time (This should be a lightning fast process, owing to the tiny amount of data to be synchronized)

- Syncing photos, to my local computer, from my mobile devices takes forever. This should be slower than syncing metadata owing to the need of downloading the Original file to the local computer. In any case, It was not an issue in previous versions of LR.

- No network resources are being used (Checked with Window's Task Manager) even when the Sync queue (LR->Edit->Preferences->Lightroom CC) is filled up with Upload, Download, and pending files.

- LR stalls when Sync is turn on.

Let's see if any of Adobe's representatives in the forum shows up with a solution.

Regards,

PacoCT

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue. If I turn mobile sync off, LR Classic is useable. With the Sync on, everything grinds to a halt.

I'm hoping someone will chime in with a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 20, 2017 Nov 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turning off sync made Lightroom Classic usable again!!!!'

Hopefully they get a fix for the sync issues out soon!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here, LR Freeze and only sync.

Ist syncs now for 6 days (61G in use), when closing LR it says still sync 8700+ picture however i disabled all catalogs which sync to the cloud. Secondly i discovered also lot of picture still on lightroom.adobe.com with cloud icon and in it "!" In the Dashboard is says still 5600+ picture. From my point of view it must be Zero

It looks like A out of sync issue i can't clean up/delete these pictures in lightroom.adobe.com, by the way this are picture sync from the previous version. @adobe you can check my account for troubleshooting 😉

Thanks in forhand

Chris Alberts

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sync and mobile are useless now. I'm using Snapseed on my mobile for quick editing and manually transferring with Air Droid then importing manually on the desktop.

With this being a known issue with no work around and no option to downgrade back to a working version think Adobe will credit the charges? Ha! Yeah,  it's only $10 but it's the principle.

If I can find even a somewhat close competitor I'm history.  Listening Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the feeling that it is really a out of sync issue (corrupted Sync database after upgrade). Quick workaround would be a reset of the sync database which think is online in the cloud. It would be handy to clean that database in Lightroom.adobe.com. I hoop i kind of hot fix for that wil be implemented.

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 21, 2017 Nov 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope. I started with a fresh small catalog and cleared the cloud. I've done an entire reinstall also. Spent hours on the phone with tech support and days doing my own clear this try that troubleshooting.

There is an obvious issue with the new softwares.

BTW,  I recommend everyone test their catalog backups doing a test restore.  I had major problems with that as well. What good is a unrestorable backup?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created another post on the same issue:

Memory problems when syncing to the cloud

I got a answer saying this was a known issue under investigation.

I hope there will be a workaround soon because I used a lot LR mobile and since I migrated my catalog to LR Classic, there's no way I can revert to the previous LR CC where the sync was working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Soji_Okita.

I've checked your post, and saw that the answer from Adobe expert, doesn't give any hint on a possible workaround nor when the solution will be implemented.

Please, let us know if you get any news.

Regards,

PacoCT

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 07, 2017 Nov 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried letting Lightroom run all day long without using my computer.

When I got home, all was synced correctly and the memory usage was back to normal.
I used it in the evening without any problems.

I think that the problem comes when there are a lot of pictures to download, which makes the sync process slower than before (and it was already slow with the previous version of lightroom). And which makes the software totally unusable when it's syncing.

I hope this will be corrected soon...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 07, 2017 Nov 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Soji_Okita​

I did a similar test yesterday.

After killing almost all running processes, I let LR-Classic run for roughly 12h. In that period of time, around 400 images were downloaded from the cloud (These are raw files, DNG, generated by my phone, 30Mb each. They were previously uploaded by the Lightroom-CC app -android-. Uploading them from the phone took very little time using WiFi). Downloading 400 photos, yield an average network usage of 0.3 Mb/s, which is a tiny fraction of my network bandwidth (300Mb/s).

This morning, LR was still syncing but I've to shut it off.

Let's see if Adobe provides an upgraded version very soon now. The actual version is unusable for me. I tend to shot both with my main camera and the phone at the same time, so I can not wait many hours (or even days) to have the pnone's photos combined with the others in my Catalog.

Regards,

PacoCT

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 09, 2017 Nov 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Any news?

I'm still having the same issues.

Regards,

PacoCT

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 10, 2017 Nov 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Today I found a solution, which worked for me:

I checked what Lightroom Classic CC is doing, when reading from the disk. At my system, I saw continuous reading of pictures (all dates - didn't correlate to syncing data from cloud).

So I tried to rename all folders in my library which i don't need for the import from the cloud (I changed the names of the yearfolders for every year except 2017). Then I moved all dayfolders, which I knew I don't sync data from the cloud to in the 2017 folder to a temp folder.

After that I started Lightroom Classic CC again. Syncing worked like pre LR Classic. When everithing was in sync, I moved the dayfolders back, renamed the yearfolders and now everything looks good again.

I hope, it works for you too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

xoDREI​,

I'll try that workaround and let you know.

So, in summary you have hidden all folders on your disk, but the one that needs to be synced, from LR, correct? I'll try doing it.

In any case, that behavior -dates not correct- shouldn't be happening. Someone should investigate it.

Regards,

PacoCT

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 17, 2017 Nov 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, @xoDREI

I've tried the workaround that worked for you, no luck on my side. Lightroom Classic is still unusable fo me 😞

After many tests (hide folders to LR Classic, remove Sync.lrdata, reset all "preferences", change the location of Mobile downloads, delete photos in the cloud using Ligthroom CC -or the web browser-, ...) I always end up having photos in the "sync queue" in "pending" status, and that makes LR Classic CC to almost freeze. I've reinstall LR Classic a couple of times, and did the same to LR CC, but none of these has solved my problems.

This is really annoying since I've a large catalog which took a couple of years to build and optimize. I can't understand how Adobe has released a version of LR which is causing so many problems (at least in my case).

I'm still waiting to have an Adobe's expert to pay attention to these issues.

Regards, 

PacoCT

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 17, 2017 Nov 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Workarounds only work until the next time you have a photo in the cloud to download... and then everything takes forever again.

The only things that works is to pause sync and never use it again until the next update...

Until then, we're paying each month for a service that does not work at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello to all of you,

As Soji_Okita​ says, "Until then, we're paying each month for a service that does not work at all."

Let me summarize my latest attempts to have LR-Classic to behave as expected:

- Uninstall all Adobe applications (Acrobat, Photoshop, LR -CC and Classic-, Adobe creative cloud, ...)

- Hide (rename) the "Adobe" folders in "X:\Users\[USER]\AppData\Local" and "X:\Users\[USER]\AppData\Roaming"

- Reboot

- Clean orphan registry entries and temporary files (Using CCLeaner")

- Install "Adobe Creative Cloud"

- Install Photoshop

- Install LR-Classic

After all these steps, LR-Classic managed to download 25 images that were previously "pending" in the sync queue. It took a very long time (I've let it working during the night). I then uploaded two images from my phone to Adobe's cloud. After opening LR.Classic, it got almost unusable again while syncing. LR-Classic keeps accessing the HD, reading image files (which were not changed at all), almost forever at 100MB/s (which is about the faster my PC can read my SSD disk). This doesn't happen if "Sync" is turned off.

There are a few other threads in this forum complaining about excessive memory use, It is not my case (2-3GB out of 12GB).

So, the problem/issue seems to be there yet.

Regards,

Paco CT

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me2  I have had nothing but problems since Classic.  Even without syncing sometimes.  Hours with tech support with their final answer being I can't store images on a network drive despite the catalog being local and all my catalog backups are useless.

I urge you to attempt a restore a catalog backup made after your classic upgrade. Hope yours is better than mine. 

The mobile Android app completely freaked out (constant horizontal screen rolling) even though a cold power cycle. A full reinstall is all that got it back.

Is there any way to downgrade back to the usable version if you were on the monthly pay plan?

Next best alternative?

BTW Snapseed does now work with Raw files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please unmark this as answered because the issue is still there!

Adobe, wtf?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mark for thread solution removed.

I tested to sync 3 RAWs from my iPad to Lightroom Classic CC and it worked as expected.

I will test some more complex test cases this weekend.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 22, 2017 Nov 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi you all,

After all the cleaning I did (see my previous post), and letting LR-Classic run for more than 24h (continuously reading one of my HDs), LR-Classic is back to normal for me. It seems to be working as expected. Having Sync always on, I did the following tests:

- Upload a couple of photos from my phone using LR-mobile (Android). They synced to LR-Classic, at standard speed, without any issue. While they were Syncing, I was able to open the Development module and work on another photo.

- Modify/add metadata to a 10 photos on my local catalog (LR-Classic) on a Synced collection. They were synced to the cloud at standard speed without any issue. While they were syncing I was able to edit another photo using the Development module

- Heavily edited a photo (from one of my Synced collections) in the Development module, LR-Classic. After a short while, I was able to see the edited image at my phone's LR-Mobile.

- Edited two photos using LR-mobile (Android) at my phone. After a short while these edits were replicated in my local catalog.

Even though they are very limited tests, It looks like LR-Classic is back to normal. Before, it was impossible to work in LR-Classic while Sync was running, now It seems to be usable again.

Could you check if now you can work with Lr-Classic while syncing with the cloud? Would you mind sharing your results?

May be the issues where in the cloud side, and Adobe has solved them (without saying anything :-).

Regards,

PacoCT

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 24, 2017 Nov 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did another test before.

I importet 25 RAWs to Lightroom CC on my iPAD and synced them to the Cloud. Then I started Lightroom Classic CC.

Everything synced perfectly - Like before the update.

Maybe I was lucky...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines