Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Editing a video in portrait mode

New Here ,
Mar 23, 2016 Mar 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For videos I've recorded in portrait on my iphone,

...when I edit them in Adobe Clip, and then save them.....

...the saved video is "shrunken", i.e., the video is minimized to about 25% of its size and a huge thick black boarder appears all around the video.

I have to use a different app to crop the video to the appropriate size.

How can this be fixed?

Isn't there a way for Adobe Clip to edit portrait videos? The issue is not there for videos taken in landscape mode.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Mar 25, 2016 Mar 25, 2016

Hi Graham,

We've noted your request for support for editing vertical video. In the meantime, here's a blog post with some creative ideas for editing vertical video in a landscape sequence, using Premiere Clip and Premiere Pro CC: http://bit.ly/1WEATjz

Hope this helps!

Bronwyn

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 24, 2016 Mar 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Graham,

That's because Clip exports your video in landscape mode. Clip does not support exporting in portrait orientation. If you upload your video to Youtube or play it back on your device in landscape mode you'll see that your video will fill the top and bottom of the screen only leaving black boarders on the sides which is expected. If your wanting to get rid of the black borders on the sides there's a number of ways to do although note that doing this requires the image to be stretched or zoomed in on to fill the screen, which can cause the image to look bad.

Doing a search for 'how to get rid of black borders on vertical video' will provide a number of good tips for doing so.

Hope this helps!

Best,

Peter Garaway

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 06, 2016 Apr 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When working on mobile, especially for output channels like snapchat, vertical video is the correct destination aspect ratio.  I would like to see an app like clip support working in this format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 08, 2016 May 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree. I would easily pay for this app. There aren't a lot of good editing apps and this is by far one of the best. Please add rendering into portrait videos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 09, 2016 May 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your feedback! The team has noted support for editing & export of vertical videos. Keep the ideas coming!

Best,

Bronwyn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 10, 2016 May 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No problem! Do you know if we'll see this option on the next update an when will that be released??

I use the app quite a lot so I'd say fine tuning controls when selecting an area. Example for a certain spot in a video to end at precisely 4.60 seconds rather than fidgeting to get it to stay at 4 at 9. Give a feature where u can long press an it zooms in to that spot on the track showing you exact timing. Also for the automatic project type please make it so you can make longer videos no matter what pace you choose. Sometimes for certain songs selected I only get 10 seconds of edited video an have to go back an manuel edit it. Thanks for listening!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 10, 2017 Nov 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im having the same problem, its a little ridiculous that we cannot edit and export vertical videos on clip, I was hoping the app was at least able to shoot, edit, and share mobile formatted video, simply on my phone, is this ever going to be a feature? or do I need to look elsewhere?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 25, 2016 Mar 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Graham,

We've noted your request for support for editing vertical video. In the meantime, here's a blog post with some creative ideas for editing vertical video in a landscape sequence, using Premiere Clip and Premiere Pro CC: http://bit.ly/1WEATjz

Hope this helps!

Bronwyn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 14, 2018 May 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey bronwyn-lewis​ (or nakieshakkoss​) - Is there a direct link to the blog post you've mentioned?  It looks like the link goes generically to the Blog site for video, but not to a specific article about vertical video.

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For anyone that's still looking for a solution to shoot vertical, edit vertical and deliver vertical, Premiere Pro handles this just fine.  While it  doesn't have any Sequence presets for vertical, you can just drag and drop a vertical clip onto the New Item icon and edit as usual.  If your footage is 1080x1920, an older computer can handle it just fine (so, not need for a huge investment in a laptop or desktop).  If your footage is 2160x3140 and you want fast performance, you'll need something newer.  The Proxy workflow can effectively be put to use, but custom ingest presets will need to be made to accommodate the vertical frame aspect ratio.

iMovie for iOS is an is a possible alternative for mobile editing, but it crops vertical video to square (which, of course, may be a non-starter).

-Warren

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep!

Did that this weekend.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do this all the time in Premiere Pro, I think the issue here is mobile.  For me iMovie is a non-starter because it's not cross-platform (iOS & Android).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 11, 2018 Jun 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This ticket is not resolved at ALL. And it's been years.

You already did almost all the job. Why so much reluctance to include this simple feature ?

Premiere pro would directly become the first reference on mobile (PowerDirector is better for such a silly reason, at that time).

Is it a patent issue, or anything ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 15, 2018 Jun 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I seriously don't think Adobe cares about their mobile apps.

I have been waiting (well I use other solutions other than the ones I am paying for) close to 3 years for them to add the clip speed adjustments other than slow (ie hyperlapse), just notice they removed slowing. So frustrating. Even more frustrating was the response from Dev "its on the list!" Hmm what list is that?

These are all very basic requests. Oh but hey you can have image motion! oh joy who the heck asked for that? speed, cross dissolve, fade to black, audio gain, export options, tools people use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 22, 2018 Jun 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Johnny:

Have you heard about Adobe Rush yet? 

Adobe Project Rush Revealed - aescripts + aeplugins - aescripts.com

You can apply to join the beta here: adobe.ly/rushbeta

From the promo video, it's looking like it'll bring a lot of features one would hope to find in a video editing app to iOS and Android.  I'm not sure what, if any support, it'll have for vertical video though.  We'll have to get our hands on it to see.

-Warren

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 02, 2017 Nov 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also 100% agree. There is a specific market for this feature, and I'm sure it's easy enough for Adobe to enable portrait editing.

I prepare video course material that is delivered to Chinese students on their phone app in portrait mode (video chat style). As a CC subscriber, I thought the Premiere app was a godsend - until I discovered I can't export my clips in portrait mode.

Fantastic tool, but limited by this oversight.

Not holding my breath though, considering this post is 17 months old 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 04, 2018 May 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any update on Adobe clip editing or creating portrait video?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 04, 2018 May 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even if vertical didn't happen, square form factor would be ideal.  Doesn't matter what aspect ratio the footage is shot in then and that's a very standard output format for social (1080x1080).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 12, 2018 May 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1 on having vertical editing. The app is way better than any other in the Android app store but the wrong exporting sucks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 16, 2018 May 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree. Adobe Clip is a mobile app. Portrait video is essential for mobile workflows to Instagram, etc. Adobe Clip MUST support portrait video export.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 19, 2018 May 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any way to work with portrait video proxies? I created a custom ingest and encoding preset in Media Encoder that resized the 4k phone footage fine but when premiere uses it as a proxy it rotates it and has black bars on top and bottom. So I still have a Portrait oriented video but a squished and rotated proxy file that I can't edit with. Screen Shot 2018-05-19 at 9.42.13 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 19, 2018 May 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what do your proxy generator render settings look like?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 20, 2018 May 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's something about a vertical "MPEG Movie" file type as Full Resolution footage that cause Proxy files created with custom ingest settings for vertical video to tweak when the Proxy is enabled in Premiere Pro.  If opened outside of Premiere Pro, the Proxy files will appear as expected.

I'm not sure if this issue is on the file format side or the Premiere Pro side, but I have gotten around it by transcoding phone camera original clips (like the "MPEG Movie" .mov file type that results from shooting with an iOS device) to Apple ProRes 422 (LT) or Apple ProRes 422 (HQ) and then creating the custom proxies from the transcoded .mov files  in Premiere Pro.  I haven't tested it with using Cineform, but that should work as well.

Vertical Video 101 Diagram.png

Again, as to why it tweaks in the first place, I could only guess.

-Warren

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 09, 2018 Jun 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It’s been years - very disappointing.  What day yes Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines