• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Which color product to use as base for colorizing?

New Here ,
Nov 08, 2017 Nov 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am photographing a handbag to be used online. There are multiple colors of the bag. For uniformity in light and appearance, I decided on shooting just one bag which I intend to colorize into the different colors. I was wondering if there is an ideal starting color to mix into the separate hues. The color options for the product range from deep red to tan to teal to black.

Or I could colorize from ground up using a B & W image like here: https://www.shutterstock.com/blog/how-to-colorize-a-black-white-photograph
Any advice would be great!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Nov 09, 2017 Nov 09, 2017

Simply use a midtone color - a reasonably light brown (but not ocre or beige, either), a medium green and so on. The real trick with this stuff is to find a good color that leaves highlights and shadows intact and distinct enough for later manipulation without creating endless selections. You should also make sure that the actual "color" information is also prominent enough in at least one of the channels, so you can derive a quick selection from it without having to isolate lights and shadows f

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Nov 09, 2017 Nov 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Simply use a midtone color - a reasonably light brown (but not ocre or beige, either), a medium green and so on. The real trick with this stuff is to find a good color that leaves highlights and shadows intact and distinct enough for later manipulation without creating endless selections. You should also make sure that the actual "color" information is also prominent enough in at least one of the channels, so you can derive a quick selection from it without having to isolate lights and shadows first. I would advise against a monochrome approach, since this will most of the time simply look too flat in both directions, both with lighter colors and darker colors.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2017 Nov 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much!!! Will try that next time for sure.IMG_5905.JPG

I ended up shooting using Black.

Colorizing into this color isn't really happening....

IMG_3569.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines