• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Using DPX LOG files with custom LUT? Help!

Explorer ,
Nov 10, 2017 Nov 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, I work at an animation studio. I need to import DPX files that are rendered in LOG color, convert them to LIN color, and add a custom LUT - all so that I can work on those files, do my effects/mograph, then ideally export back out DPX files that look the same as the ones I imported. Any thoughts on how to do this?

The custom LUT I've been given is a .cube file, and the "Apply Color LUT" effect doesn't want to read it. I also found the OpenColorIO plug-on online, but haven't gotten that to work yet - I may have some success if I play with it some more.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Mentor , Nov 11, 2017 Nov 11, 2017

i'd use opencolorio:

1. apply above video for log to lin

2. composite in linear sRGB, then apply monitor specific calibration as guide layer(as it won't render out)

3. above all effects, adjustment layer, convert lin back to log

4. render out log again in DPX or EXR

this keeps you from rendering out your own monitor calibrations and has high quality

log to lin conversions without color management which otherwise loses 0.1% quality.

http://fnordware.blogspot.com/2012/05/opencolorio-for-after-effects.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try to add the color finesse plug-in in the Syntetic Aperture category into your footage and apply the LUT inside color Finesse to check if the .cube file is correct.

Another option is to install the free version of DaVinci Resolve to create a LUT based on the one you have, and export a LUT using another format for using the Apply Color LUT effect

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should be able to apply your .cube LUT through the Effects > Lumetri Colour effect : Basic correction tab > Input LUT...

However, I'd strongly recommend you read the content in the following thread

FAQ: Where can I find out info about the Lumetri Color panel?

- particularly the last thread that Kevin links - "Lumetri Color Explained"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Nov 11, 2017 Nov 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i'd use opencolorio:

1. apply above video for log to lin

2. composite in linear sRGB, then apply monitor specific calibration as guide layer(as it won't render out)

3. above all effects, adjustment layer, convert lin back to log

4. render out log again in DPX or EXR

this keeps you from rendering out your own monitor calibrations and has high quality

log to lin conversions without color management which otherwise loses 0.1% quality.

http://fnordware.blogspot.com/2012/05/opencolorio-for-after-effects.html

your lut is probably a LMT.

also, in Ae, enable blend colors using 1.0 gamma for matching linear color compositing rules.

you can use apply lut if you download the manufactor's lut generators. same concept for

sandwiching effects and preview guide layer inside log to lin layers.

I wouldn't use the apply lut effects or lumetri except as preview luts as they are limited to sRGB color and could cause banding in higher color models like ACES.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 20, 2017 Dec 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which workflow did you end up using, Michael D? Your answer might help others looking for the same solution.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 20, 2017 Dec 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Kevin, thanks for following up. I ended up using OpenColorIO, as @

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines