• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Will my Framemaker 2017 .FM files open in Framemaker 12?

New Here ,
Nov 10, 2017 Nov 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm currently using Framemaker 2017 at home, and some of the people at the company I work for are using Framemaker 12.  If I save my work as an .fm file, will my coworkers be able to open them in Framemaker 12 with document formatting intact?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They won't be able to open the 2017 files directly. You will have to save your files as MIF 2017 and they can open those in Fm 12.

Screenshot 2017-11-10 17.49.54.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So if I save a document as a MIF 2017 file, will my coworkers be able to check master pages / formatting and be able to interact with it like a normal Framemaker file, or will it be read-only or have limitations?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 11, 2017 Nov 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

re: So if I save a document as a MIF 2017 file, will my coworkers be able to check master pages / formatting and be able to interact with it like a normal Framemaker file, or will it be read-only or have limitations?

If you have avoided using any FM document features not present in FM12, there should be no problem with full round-trip collaborative work. MIF is merely a human-readable markup that encodes everything in the binary .book or .fm file. This includes Master and Reference pages and their content. MIF files are read/write by default.

Older FMs just ignore any markup they don't support. They may or may not preserve it on re-save.

If you go back far enough, there are intractable issues. FM7 or earlier can't handle the Unicode present in FM8 or later. Expect serious document damage in that scenario.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 11, 2017 Nov 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As per Bob, yes, as long as you limit yourself to features found in Fm 12. Since this sound like MIF is new to you here is a brief description from Adobe:

MIF (Maker Interchange Format) is a group of ASCII statements that create an easily parsed, readable text file of all

the text, graphics, formatting, and layout constructs that Adobe® FrameMaker® understands. Because MIF is an alternative

representation of a FrameMaker document, it allows FrameMaker and other applications to exchange information

while preserving graphics, document content, and format.

Hope that helps.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines