Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

I am running a mid 2012 MacBook Pro,

2.3 GHz Intel Core i7

16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 512 MB

Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB

Premiere Pro CC 2017 keeps turning to the swirling beachball of frustration after I do any more than 2 minutes of work consistently and "application not responding" appears. I changed my settings to clear the media cache, turned off auto save, allocated more memory for Premiere Pro, moved the media cache and database. That all was a stop gap that took no more than 20 minutes of work to bring back the same problem.  I am working off of a LaCie 4Tb rugged hard drive through USB, most of my footage is 1920x1080,  with a small smattering of 4K footage due to my drone that only appears infrequently on the timeline. I tried updating to Premiere Pro CC 2018 but it was even worse.

So I am trying to diagnose where this problem is coming from, my computer, the program, or the hard drive I am working off of? It could be something else entirely and that is why I am asking here. Thanks for any help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 10, 2017 Nov 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you go to Apple Menu > System Preferences >  Energy Saver is Put Hard Disks to Sleep when possible checked on? If so uncheck it and see if that helps.

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Meg,

I forgot to add that I already unchecked that and it didn't help either. Ive been frequenting most of the forums for ideas of other peoples plights and wasn't sure if my computer, hard drive, or version of premiere was the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you also check the setting that forces the computer to use the better graphics card and not switch to the lesser card for energy savings purposes? Not sure where that is.

Also, if you, as a test, set your renderer to Software Only, does the problem persist?

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Meg!

I tried the second thing you suggested because I was able to find that option first. I switched it under preferences and memory from optimize rendering for "performance" to "memory" and it is working great now. We will see how long that lasts but thanks for the quick fix!

Jordan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hey Meg,

I was able to work without any issues for a couple of solid hours until I left it alone for a bit and came back, copy and pasted two clips from one sequence to another and then tried scrolling through a video and it shut down and has been crashing and not responding since. I found the other suggestion you gave about better graphics card all the time and switched that on. What else can I do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines