Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Awful. Bad. Crime Against Humanity.

Explorer ,
Nov 08, 2017 Nov 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I would like to make it abundantly clear that whoever thought it was a good idea to release a new version that disabled the "ALT" key making it virtually glitchy is out of touch with who ultimately uses this software. I am working on a big budget feature at the moment, and making an imperative hotkey like "Alt" operate in a buggy way, is just stupid. I don't care how you guys choose to spin it. this is dumb, frustrating and should have been fixed already. I can see the quality in the product slip.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Joy! (sarcastically)

when pressing alt+shift+f I get this retarded and useless window! thanks Adobe! So glad I can focus on editing my metadeta instead of editing my image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm confused. The default shortcut for File > File Info is Ctrl Sh Alt I. Are you working with a custom set of shortcuts?

And how is the Alt key now glitchy? Can you elaborate further?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Extra extra read all about it 

Photoshop CC 2018 Deamed Aweful Bad Crime Against Humanity.

You need to get a grip oon life.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JJMack  wrote

Extra extra read all about it 

Aweful. Bad. Crime Against Humanity.  Aweful. Bad. Crime Against Humanity.

You need to get a grip oon life.

But at least he got to tell us the is 'working on a big budget feature at the moment'.   It's gotta be worth having to take a second stab at the Alt key for the chance to tell folk that you work on big budget features.    I'm wondering where he found the time out of his busy schedule, but it might be a Harvey Weinstein feature.  I'm thinking they have all ground to a halt at the moment.  Or it could be Netflix House of Cards...  I believe that crew has some time on its hands..  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Aweful. Bad. Crime Against Humanity", I read that as a Donald Trump tweet.

He did go back to 2017, so all is good now, the cameras are rolling.

I just looked at this thread and besides the keyboard complications, corrupt PSDs are showing up some places.

Photoshop CC 2018 corrupting PSD files  So for now it is a mess. Even with the old CS series, keeping the previous version around after an upgrade was technically allowed for a month.  "Sometimes the first batch of cookies never comes out right", as my Grandma used to say.

I've been through a lot of releases, but I don't recall if 19.0 has had the most problems.

Gene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 11, 2017 Nov 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just hope Adobe give the one person in their QA dept. some company before the next release.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HothWampa  wrote

I just hope Adobe give the one person in their QA dept. some company before the next release.

Of the nearly 16,000 people employed by Adobe, less than 100 work on the Photoshop Development Team.  There are 99 names on the latest Splash Screen.  A few years ago, I read a report that said there were 66 people on the Photoshop team. 

There are some important people who no longer appear on the Splash Screen.  Chris Cox was a Senior Computer Scientist and a regular contributor to this forum.  John Nack left Adobe to work for Google in 2008 (goodness, is it really that long ago?).  Some of the names on the Splash screen don't work just on Photoshop — Julieanne Kost, for instance, does a lot of Lightroom tutorials on her blog.  

The site below is interesting in that it says Russell Williams, along with Seeth Narayana, is on the team that decides 'what's next for Photoshop'.  I suspect that 'on the team' is significant in this process, because we have been given the impression that the Development Team gets strong direction from above, as to what they can spend time on. 

The 10 Biggest Names Behind Photoshop You Should Know - Hongkiat

When it comes to bugs, then the squeaky wheels principle applies — if not enough people make a fuss, then the 'squeaky wheel' does not get oiled.  We have also seen a clear move towards revenue earning features like Adobe Stock and TypeKit.  They are making Adobe Stock so attractive with very cleaver search features, that it can be difficult to ignore, but every time you click to accept a stock item, it might cost you the same as a month's subscription to the Photoshop Lightroom Photography plan.  So if something annoys you, you need to go to the Feedback site, and if there is not already a thread on your issue, start one, and then come to this forum and encourage people to add their names to the thread.  Since Chris Cox left Adobe, anything on this forum is likely to be missed by the Adobe Photoshop team members.  On the Feedback site, people like Jeff Tranberry will read pretty much every post.

Photoshop Family Customer Community

Telephone support appears to be based in India using people with limited direct knowledge of Photoshop.  They use Expert Systems to try and home in your problem, and I strongly suspect they sometimes deal with more than customer at the same time leading to wait states.  If your issue does not need access to your account, then you are nearly always better asking on this forum, but we don't work for Adobe, so there is zero point in ranting here.  We are volunteers, so can chose to ignore threads that look like hard work.

I suspect that we won't have to wait long for some bug fixes, and I hope that they publish the list of things they have addressed with the next update, because it just might surprise you how much work they have done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 09, 2017 Nov 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Alt key does have a bug Adobe are working on it.

There are two workarounds.

1. Press the Alt key twice - so for example instead of Alt+Backspace just press Alt Alt+Backspace.

2. If the Alt key is in combination with other modifier keys  don't press it first

So instead of Alt+Ctrl+G  press Ctrl+Alt+G

Annoying - maybe, crime against humanity - hardly...

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For some odd reason, the Alt (Option) bug is not showing up on MacOS.

Gene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Gene

When you press Alt with another key  it is jumping to the windows menu entry (which is normally the windows behaviour when Alt is pressed on its own, without another key, so that menu items can be selected by key entry). Pressing Alt twice restores the key to the normal Photoshop operation.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the clarification. I'm on a Mac, so haven't experienced this bug, but taught a Photoshop class this week with all Windows users and also didn't encounter this. So it's coming up specifically when Alt is part of a shortcut? I'm trying to remember, but I'm thinking that we must not have used any shortcuts that include Alt. Does it happen every time Alt is pressed first?

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI Barb

Yes if Alt is pressed first it doesn't work. That is why it took a bit of tracking as for example with ALt+Ctrl+G  some press "Alt" first some press "Ctrl" first.

Hopefully the fix will come out soon

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Dave, I suppose you might already know, but MacOS (formerly OSX) does not have that Alt-menu option which is what I liked in Windows. It's either use a default menu shortcut or assign one.

Alt-Cmd-G (Apply Clipping Mask) is the Mac version of Alt-Ctrl-G and so far the Alt and Cmd order is not important.

We also have a Ctrl key, but it's much like the right-click Context-menu mouse button. Ctrl + click.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

very very annoying, specially to pick a color, change the size of a brush, edit/fill with the foreground color, soustract selection, etc...

Hope you'll fix the bug quickly.

I only encounter this problem with my wacom pen, the mouse is OK. I changed many things in Windows 10 thinking it was a Windows problem, so anyway I'm glad to hear that this is an Adobe problem and that you are working on it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

katiaw88368429  wrote

Hope you'll fix the bug quickly.

..............I'm glad to hear that this is an Adobe problem and that you are working on it.

Hi

I don't work for Adobe , I am a Photoshop user the same as you.  I do know that Adobe are working on it though

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 14, 2017 Nov 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Sorry for the mistake

But you were right. The bug has been fixed with the new release !

Phew ! What a pleasure to be able to work normally again...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What a catch 22! If Adobe got the Alt Right in the last update, then it's still a crime against humanity. Sad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This copy editor is cringing at the misspelling of "awful". Or maybe this shortcut is full of awe, therefore "aweful"?

Yes, a crime against humanity to be sure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jane-e  wrote

This copy editor is cringing at the misspelling of "awful". Or maybe this shortcut is full of awe, therefore "aweful"?

Yes, a crime against humanity to be sure.

Fixed that for everyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

gener7  wrote

Fixed that for everyone.

Thank you—now I will sleep well tonight!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Here's the link that describes the update that will right everything in the world. Well, at least everything that pertains to the Alt key's crimes against humanity:

Photoshop CC 19.0.1 now available | Photoshop Family Customer Community

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines