• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

pixelation of png file/illustrator smart object in photoshop

Community Beginner ,
Nov 11, 2017 Nov 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've created a logo in illustrator and need to place it into photoshop. I save the illustrator file as a png at 300 dpi and then place it in photoshop, but it is super pixelated and it almost seems worse when i scale it down.

Screen Shot 2017-11-12 at 12.37.49.png

Screen Shot 2017-11-12 at 12.37.33.png

The same thing is happening when I paste it as a smart object/pixels etc.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Place the Illustrator file (not a PNG!) as a smart object instead. Keep it vector and avoid exporting as a PNG. You are probably exporting a low resolution PNG file set at a high ppi. But ppi is merely a relative value, not an absolute one. Always check the pixel dimensions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for your response.

I already did that and it is still pixelated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be handy if you could share a PSD sample file for us to examine (via DropBox, for example).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so somehow I managed to fix the logo problem, but I have a similar problem with another file. I have put the two files in the dropbox. Thanks for your help!

Dropbox - adobe forum

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i think i found my problem - i've adjusted the pixels for the original image of the card. i'm a bit of a photoshop noob, sorry!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Nov 12, 2017 Nov 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct - although I also noted your AI file was rasterized as a layer? Anyway, place as an AI file smart object, and use Image Size to adjust the resolution of the master PSD in Photoshop. Do NOT rasterize the smart object, or place the AI file as a regular layer before increasing the resolution, of course - in that case the card's content will be upscaled as a bitmap, which looks pixellated/blurred.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you place the AI or Illustrator SVG saved file they will be a vector smart object and Photoshop will scale then well. Other Photoshop smart object are scaled by interpolating the pixels rendered for the smart object when you place them in.  If you place in a small image it will contain a small number of pixels when Photoshop renders the object these will not scale up well.

If you scale your AI image up in size in AI and  save a very Large PNG file that image will contain many pixels and will scale down in size well in Photoshop.   Scaling many pixels down in number  will lose some image quality you will loose some details but work well.   Scaling up a small number pixels to many pixels will not work well to much detail needs to be created the image will become soft and pixelated.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 17, 2017 Nov 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, we are getting spotty jaggies on our imported graphics.

Method: Placing vector AI as a smart object into Photoshop CC

Notes: Anti-aliased is checked and we tested all the different preferences for image interpolation.

Anyone else getting this issue? We noticed it yesterday, so it's been going on for about 2 days. These graphics have been used before in the same workflow/setting without issue. Both programs are up to date. Changing viewing/preview mode doesn't seem to do anything. They're importing and exporting this way.

Screen Shot 2017-11-17 at 3.19.57 PM.pngscreen_shot_2017-11-17_at_3.24.05_pm.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines