Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop 7.0 won't open; scratch discs are full

Nov 01, 2017 Nov 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using Photoshop 7.0 for many years on a Windows 7.0 computer.  Recently had the hard drive replaced and have a 2T HD.  Went to open PS 7.0 and I got the following error:

Problem #1:  "Could not open Photoshop Scratch Discs are full".

Asked Staples call center for help and what I now have is:

Problem #2:  Screen comes up and asks if I want to run as an Administrator.  I click YES and it then tries to open PS 7.0 and then I get Problem #1 message up again.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling and same thing happens.

I am not a geek, need step by step and very detailed instructions.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop 7.0 can't see drives larger than 1TB. As far as PS 7 is concerned, the disk isn't there. So it can't open.

You'll have to partition.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Nov 11, 2017 Nov 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's start a bit back.  I had a HD failure, they only had a 2TB hard drive available (mine was a 1TB).  I had my apps and data cloned over to the new HD.  I  suspect that something went wrong with the cloning or that during an abrupt shutdown, a file on the registry became corrupted.  BTW, Staples guy said 2TB was not the problem.   I am not sure what he did, but he said that it was a corrupt file on the registry.  He said that he used a way better uninstall tool than provided with my system to ensure all files were GONE.  He then reinstalled PS 7.0.  I suspect that he was correct to some extent.  I have heard that sometimes when you uninstall, not all files get uninstalled.  If the evil file in question (LOL) remained corrupted on the registry regardless of using the provided uninstall utility, then reinstalling the application would not work as this file would not be overwritten with the non-corrupted version, but be bypassed in the re-install because, heck the file was already there, wasn't it?  Anyway, I don't know what he really did, but I do know that I have to Run as Administrator still and I didn't have to before, but I am not messing with it.  Try...a uninstall utility from the manufacturer to get ALL files gone and then try reinstalling....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As to PS 7.0 only working on a 1TB HD...  I just looked at my c:\ drive.  They either partitioned it or I have a new 1TB drive instead, not a geek.  But, based on what I just read about this 1TB/2TB comment, I went back to look at my c:\ properties and funny thing, I have capacity = 983 GB.  Given that you can't use all of any drive, I suspect either partitioning or install with cloning to a 1TB hard drive which is what I wanted in the first place, but they didn't have.  Thanks for the info... and it was info because I will look at the tech's report, but I highly suspect he didn't mention anything about partitioning or installing of another HD (1TB) as he would invite criticism as to why there was no charge for the effort.  He just did what he had to in the background.  Thanks for the info, very interesting research I just did.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

983 GB is base 10 notation and 1.073 TiB in Base 2 notation.

When it comes to gigabytes, the base 10 notation, 983 x 109 or 983 x 10003 bytes in this case, is recommended by most standardization organizations such as SI and IEC, and commonly used to denote hard storage capacity: 1 GB = 1000 megabytes = 1000 x 1000000 bytes = 1000000000 B.

In contrast, the base 2 notation, 983 x 230 or 983 x 10243 bytes in this case, is usually used to describe virtual storage such as RAM, in addition to Microsoft Windows using it for hard disk space: 1 GiB = 1024 mebibytes = 1024 x 1048576 bytes = 1073741824 B.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On the partitioning.... I am not a geek, just used to work with them.  If you partition the 2TB hard drive, and end up with e.g. C:\ being 1TB, wouldn't you have another drive listed for the remainder.  I know that the recover drive takes up some space.  Right now I show c:\ as being 983 GB and D:\ the recovery disc as 26.x GB, all this adds up to 1TB?  Did they partition or replace my 1TB storage with yet another HD but this one = 1TB????  Curious all to heck..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I was thinking of something else.

If they installed a 2 TB drive, Windows has a utility to show you where the partitions are and how much room they are taking up.

Here is a simple screenshot guide to accessing this:

How to access Disk Management in Windows | WD Support

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I recall correctly, you can right-click on the photoshop.exe, select Properties from the menu, and from the Compatibility Tab, set it to Windows XP SP3, or try going back to 2000 or 98. Then click OK and try again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 09, 2020 Mar 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Hi
In Win10:
Go to Discmanager and create a virtual Hard drive on your 2 TB or larger C: disc, I created one with 1 GB space, got the name E:
Start Photoshop with CTRL ALT
Change scratch disk to E:
Worked here.
Best regards René

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines