Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

lightroom CC and DNG questions

Engaged ,
Nov 11, 2017 Nov 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am going to get the 1TB cloud storage plan and was curious how many DNG photos plus jpgs it would take till I reached 1 TB?

If I'm going to run out of space quickly is it possible I can take photos using the new Lightroom App on my iphone and sync them to lightroom CC classic only and then edit and export as JPG and send to Lightroom CC for the cloud? Also Is there a way I can convert my 1080p video to 720p or even SD to save space? If the originals will be saved to my hard drive anyway I don't need the highest quality on my phone or in the cloud.

thanks,

Byce

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Depends on your camera resolution. A 12 MP camera like the iPhone typically will yield DNG files of about 12 MB. So that is over 100k images for a terabyte. Plenty for most people. If you shoot a modern DSLR however, the files are much bigger and you'll get there in no time as you'll create many more images and the images are bigger.

You can't easily convert movies to a lower resolution without downloading them to a computer and transcoding.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It depends on how big the DNG files are and how big the JPEG files are. You'll just have to do the math to figure out how many it would take to use up 1 TB. If you don't need the full-sized images in the cloud, just do your main work in Lightroom Classic and create collections to share in the cloud. Those collections don't count against your 1 TB. Save that space for when you do need full-sized images in the cloud.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

but I wanted the lightroom CC app to store photos so I could use it as an alternative to apple photos. I want almost every single image tagged etc. I don't want full quality images in the cloud.

How do I sync collections from Lightroom Classic CC to the Lightroom CC app without using storage?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 12, 2017 Nov 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To sync collections all you need to do is set the collection to sync ( right or control click it). it will upload smart previews that don’t count against your storage. That said be aware that keywords do not sync to adobe’s cloud from classic And that hierarchical keywords are not supported on the cloud.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens if I take a dng photo on my iPhone with the lightroom mobile app? Will it upload full quality to the lightroom cc app on the computer? if so anyway to just take photos on my phone and send to lightroom classic instead? All I need is previews to look at anyway On my phone.

Also can lightroom cc be used as a replacement to google photos?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you take a dng on your iPhone, the app will upload the full dng to Adobe's cloud when you have wifi access. This will download to Lightroom CC and to Lightroom Classic in full quality. It will automatically offload the dng from your phone if you haven't accessed it there for a while.

Also can lightroom cc be used as a replacement to google photos?

Depends on what you do with it. For many functions it is a good replacement for others it is not. Google photos doesn't do raw as far as I know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so if I upload raw photos to lightroom cc and edit them can I then convert them to jpg later to save space? It’s not I need to keep eiditing them over and over again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No you can't do that easily. There are ways but they require quite a few

steps. Smart previews are really efficient though and not much larger than

jpeg copies of your images but still fully editable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 13, 2017 Nov 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still a little confused here, so let me elaborate.

Is there a way to upload previews of DNG to the cloud using Lightroom CC but store the full quality on my computer?

If not with Lightroom CC can i at least sync only DNG to lightroom classic CC?

Bryce

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could create a collection using DNG files using Lightroom Classic CC. Then you could share that collection. The shared collection would share Smart previews in Lightroom CC. The only way you could store DNG files in Lightroom CC and share those back with Lightroom Classic CC would be to download the full-sized DNG files into Lightroom CC. When I did that, it placed DNG copies in my folder on my computer. Then I could import those back into Lightroom if I wanted. But I already have the originals in Lightroom anyway. I'm not quite sure I understand what it is you are trying to do.

I think you have to understand that if you share collections from Lightroom Classic to Lightroom CC there is one way communication. Any adjustments made in Classic will propagate to Lightroom CC. But that is all. There is no communication from Lightroom CC back to Classic, NONE!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

okay but if I'm taking DNG photos with my iphone with the LR mobile app doesn't that send the full res files to Lightroom CC? How do I take DNG on my iphone and just send them to Lightroom CC Classic? I just want full JPGS sent to the cloud to save storage.

There isn't a way to Export DNG in Lightroom CC to JPG after I edit?

Bryce

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't do that without a bit of hacking around. As soon as you take a DNG it will put that on the cloud service and it will download into Lightroom Classic. Now in Classic, you just move the dng to where you want it and turn off syncing on it. This will delete it from the cloud (and your phone!). Now export that image to full resolution jpeg and reimport that jpeg into your Lightroom Classic Library. Then sync that image to the cloud by dropping it into a synced collection in Lightroom Classic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just out of curiosity how many DNG photos take up 1TB? I'm hoping I can have enough jp and DNG in my cloud for a while so i can edit them on my ipad etc since I'm not always home and then when I'm back home I can turn off sync like you said in lightroom classic and send over a JPG as replacement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

A typical dng from a iPhone 8 is 15 MB or so so about 70,000 dngs. A good quality jpeg from the same image will clock in around 10 MB, so that would be 100,000 images. I would stick with the dngs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines