• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't Apply Decal to .OBJ model after import

Participant ,
Oct 22, 2017 Oct 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Created a simple box in Newtek Lightwave 3D with separate surfaces for each panel. Exported as an .OBJ model. Successfully imported the model. Went to surface with a custom graphic (.JPEG) and got an error:

"Something went wrong during graphic placement. The decal will be removed."

The same graphic imports just fine on one of the supplied models within Dimension. Anyone else get this?

James

TOPICS
Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 23, 2017 Oct 23, 2017

This error usually means there's a problem with the model, not the graphic.  Dimension requires that models have UVs which allow us to project images onto the model, and that the UVs are in the 0-1 positive space.  At this time its out of the scope of our teaching materials for how to fix these errors in 3rd party software, but we are actively working on fixing the issues in Dimension for a future update.

For anyone experiencing this issue on an asset purchased from Adobe Stock, you can reach out

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 23, 2017 Oct 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This error usually means there's a problem with the model, not the graphic.  Dimension requires that models have UVs which allow us to project images onto the model, and that the UVs are in the 0-1 positive space.  At this time its out of the scope of our teaching materials for how to fix these errors in 3rd party software, but we are actively working on fixing the issues in Dimension for a future update.

For anyone experiencing this issue on an asset purchased from Adobe Stock, you can reach out to customer care to get an exchange for a new asset.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2017 Oct 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So funny. I am having the same issue and the 3D model I am having an issue with was from Stock.Adobe.com and was listed as being a 3D model for Dimension.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh no!  Can you let me know which asset?  I'll flag it for the content team to take a look.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jeanette! The asset is: AdobeStock_124821805. So far this seems to be the only one I've had issues with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!  I've forwarded it to the content team. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 17, 2018 Jan 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Jeanette Matthews,

I can not put a graph to this model. I downloaded the adobe page and modified it in cinema 4d. I see the same error as BaseZero. If you have UV's.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1vGjoJu1HYKSbA_giF9oG8H2e1GxR0i3T

Thank you very much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2018 Jan 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

gas can 3d 1 test.pngI'm having the same problem. I need to be able to wrap a design around a gas can. How do I send you the file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 19, 2019 Apr 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having a similar issue, with a 3D object I had created in PhotoshopCC 2019.

Screen Shot 2019-04-19 at 11.01.45.png

Based on what is marked as the "correct answer", I will go back and check UV settings.

I also look forward to seeing what the future update has to offer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 19, 2019 Apr 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm the fix works. I am now able to add graphic in Dimension to objects created in Photoshop.

These are the settings that worked for me; I think checking the Merge Materials option is key in this workaround.

Screen Shot 2019-04-19 at 11.44.45.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 03, 2019 May 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apologies for the late reply but this was super helpful! thank you for your brain time

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 23, 2019 May 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're more than welcome!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 28, 2023 Jul 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! Can anyone tell me why the PNG, doesnt apply correctly? i know its maybe the custom shape OBJ i created with wrong texture or something ? 😞 please help!

Screenshot 2023-07-28 at 16.21.27.png

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 29, 2023 Jul 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

looks fine to be, why don't you tell us what you think is wrong with it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 25, 2017 Oct 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a link to the actual object I'm trying to use. It's pretty straightforward. A box created in Lightwave by Newtek.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c343k0ukqinvq2t/testbox.obj?dl=0

Let me know if you get it working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 25, 2017 Oct 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems like this box only has UVs on the top plane.  The other sides are missing UVs entirely.  So you can place a decal on the top, but you won't be able to add it to the sides/bottom/front/back.  For decals, objects must have UVs on all the parts, and the UVs should generally be uniform, in the 0-1 positive space, and not overlapping.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2017 Oct 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey having the same issue with 124824860 as well

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 26, 2017 Oct 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the report!  I'll let the team know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 01, 2017 Nov 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same with object 134634095.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 06, 2017 Nov 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue with object 134633830

Books - image | Adobe Stock

Do you fix or refund the credit?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 06, 2017 Nov 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Christian!  Thanks for letting me know.  I'm reporting the issues to the Stock team.  Let me check with them on the process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 13, 2017 Nov 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Christian, sorry for the delay.  I've checked into this and we can provide a replacement credit so you can choose a different model.  The issue is not with the model itself but rather an issue with Dimension's handling of the model, so we need to implement a fix on our end.  I will send an e-mail to connect you for the additional replacement credit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 20, 2017 Dec 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also having the same trouble with an umbrella model. I just want to apply a jpg but I get the same error message. Anyway I can get an exchange for another umbrella?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 20, 2017 Dec 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Erica - you can reach out to Contact Customer Care to get an exchange of your asset that does not work with decal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 29, 2017 Nov 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello All! The Adobe Stock team knows about these issues and while the Dimension team implements a fix on our end, you can reach out to Contact Customer Care to get an exchange of your asset that does not work with decal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines