• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to upgrade our 1024 certificate to 2048 ?

Contributor ,
Nov 12, 2017 Nov 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I recently read that Adobe Animate and Adobe AIR doesn't support 1024 certificate for Adobe AIR app for Android. (we have to use an older version of AIR and Animate if we want to publish an app with 1024 certificate).

I've got plenty of apps in the Google Play Store and I want to be able to update them for the next few years. So I can't create a new 2048 certificate, I need to upgrade my 1024.

Do you know if it's possible ?

If so, how can we upgrade a certificate ? (I'm not a genius in computer so, if the method is complicated, a detailed tutorial from Adobe would be great !).

Thanks

Stephan    

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Nov 12, 2017 Nov 12, 2017

I can't find the information on when Google Play will not allow updates that use 1024 bit certificate. There is a good chance they may continue to allow updates, but won't allow new submissions, but you may need to try submitting an update in order to find out.

Building an APK with a 1024 bit certificate has at least two problems. One is that Java already dropped support for it, and also the current Animate doesn't support it either. You can download Animate CC 2017 from the CC menu to get around

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Nov 12, 2017 Nov 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't find the information on when Google Play will not allow updates that use 1024 bit certificate. There is a good chance they may continue to allow updates, but won't allow new submissions, but you may need to try submitting an update in order to find out.

Building an APK with a 1024 bit certificate has at least two problems. One is that Java already dropped support for it, and also the current Animate doesn't support it either. You can download Animate CC 2017 from the CC menu to get around the Animate part, and read this article about getting around the Java part:

Packaging Android app fails -- Java 8

If you are able to do an update with the 1024 bit certificate, but you don't want to have to keep Java 6 and Animate CC 2017 around forever, you could think about building in promotion for a new version of your app, that would be 2048 bit certificate from the start. It would be a new, you would start over with download count and with reviews, but hopefully most of your current users will install the new app and uninstall the old one.

Animate CC 2018 has the 1024/2048 menu grayed out, but using AIR 27 in CS6 still lets me choose 1024. Animate CC 2018 lets me choose a certificate from 5 years ago, which is likely to be 1024 bit, maybe CC 2017 isn't needed unless you need to generate a 1024 bit certificate. I'm not sure.

For what it's worth I think doesn't affect the Amazon Android App Store, Amazon ditch your certificate anyway, and use their own one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 13, 2017 Nov 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the answer. So, in short terms, no there are no ways to upgrade a 1024 certificate to a 2048 ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 13, 2017 Nov 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I there is, Google would still reject it. I literally has to have the same hash value.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines