Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to Batch An Appending Filename

Community Beginner ,
Nov 13, 2017 Nov 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We have Adobe Photoshop CC v. 19.0, and we're working on an ecommerce website with tons of images.  We created a Batch, and within this Batch we have:

1. Canvas Size (750x750)

2. Convert Profile (Profile: Working RGB - sRGB, Intent: Perceptual, and Preview: unchecked)

3. Export (Save as Web)

When we run the batch, it's working as it should, however, having trouble appending the filename.  We have:

1. Source: Folder (/images/ and nothing is checked)

2. Destination: Folder (/images/optimized/ and nothing is checked)

3. File Naming:

Document Name = Document Name

-750x750 = None

extension = extension

Example: MyFile-750x750.gif (which is exactly what we want other than .jpg instead of .gif in the example)

For some reason, it's just saving the files to the /images/optimize/ directory, and not appending "-750x750" to the filename.  Is there something we're missing, is it the hyphen, or anything we may have done wrong?  Thanks in advance for your help.
Ben

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not getting this on my Win machine. It's appending fine even with the dash.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What OS are you using, Chuck?

Also, I just tried running the same batch on another directory, and it wouldn't work at all.  I had to re-record the Action within the directory I wanted to run the Batch for it to work.  Still doesn't append the filename though.  😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on Win 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No luck.  After moving it to Desktop, it's still doing the same.  It'll optimize the images, drop them in /images/optimized/, but it won't append the "-750x750."  I tried Image Processor again, and received the same "Sorry..." message there.  Not sure what else to do other than think it's a compatibility or settings issue.

Thanks Chuck for taking time out of your day/night to help me.  If there is anything else you think of please let me know.  I'll keep troubleshooting...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on Windows 7 64-bit.

We did have the issue where the first image's filename was being used for all our images meaning they just kept overwriting each other until it finished with the last image.  The last image (even though it had the same filename as the first image) did have "-750x750" appended to it.  I watched it create the temp files for each image then overwrite each other once given the extension of .jpg.  Each time they would all have the "-750x750" appended.

We've obviously fixed that overwriting issue, and just seem to be missing the appendage now.  I've also tried Image Processor with:

1. Select Folder (/images/)

2. Select Folder (/images/optimized/)

3. File Type (Save as JPEG with Convert Profile to sRGB checked)

4. Preferences (Run Action checked, Action Folder and the 750x750 set chosen, Copyright Info blank, and Include ICC Profile unchecked)

Script Alert: "Sorry, I could not process the files."

I noticed a space in the file path, and will try dumping /images/ on Desktop to see if that's an issue...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just noticed that you have a save for web in your batch. I would drop that, as I think that might be your issue. Let the batch script do the saving.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Completely remove 3 which is the Export to look like this (sorry, forgot to include 4 which was Close):

1. Canvas Size (750x750)
  2. Convert Profile (Profile: Working RGB - sRGB, Intent: Perceptual, and Preview: unchecked)
  3. Close

It ran and seemed to not save anything in the destination directory.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok Chuck, you just helped the light bulb go off...

Since we have the Export (Save as Web) in our Action Set then there is no need to use Destination within the Batch.  It should be set to None for Destination since it was recorded as an Action.

If we want to append the file, we'll have to allow the Batch to do it by removing the Export (Save as Web) in our Action set, and make Destination: Folder then choose the location, and then the File Naming will append the file.

Does this mean we need to create two Action Sets?  One to Save as Web then another to append the filename?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What would the purpose be for save for web? Basically all that does is change the file to sRGB, remove any spaces in the filename, and save at a certain quality level. It looks like you're doing that with your other steps. It seems that save for web is redundant in your case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Usually we do Save as Web to reduce the image to High, Quality:60, Optimized, and Metadata: None.  We receive the raw file from the manufacturers' marketing materials being our partner is an authorized dealer.

I just double checked, and it would seem this particular manufacturer already has this done.  Their files are like 15-20KB.  We just need to resize the canvas to 750x750 since that's the size of the image container on the website.  They have over 1,500 products.  We'll redo the Action Set to just include the canvas resize then let the Batch conduct the naming convention.

However, with other manufacturers where this isn't done, should we do the two Action Sets in order to reduce to High, Quality:60, Optimized, and Metadata: None or does setting the profile to sRGB do the trick?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sRGB is just standardizing RGB for monitors, correct?  What about the Metadata?  I'm probably being too picky, huh?  I'm heavy into SEO, and trying to have these webpages load as fast as possible in preparation for Google's Mobile-first index, and UX of course.  Read some statistics where 58% of users leave if a site doesn't load in 3 seconds.  Google actually has a estimate on how much traffic our sites could be losing: Test Your Mobile Website Speed and Performance - Think With Google

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sRGB is the primary color space for the web, so that's what you would want. I can see your point about stripping the metadata. Do you strip all of it, or do you leave copyright info? A script could remove the metadata, or you could create an action that would copy and past the image into a new blank document. I used to do that when I needed to release a photo that might have classified information in the metadata.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 14, 2017 Nov 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, we strip the copyright information as well since they are an authorized dealer, but again, I'm probably being too picky since text doesn't take up much disk space/load times.  Ok, I will try what you suggest.  Pretty cool you've worked with classified stuff.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’d use the free Image Processor Pro script from Xbytor:

ipp.png

No need to create actions, the script can resize and rename.

ps-scripts - Browse /Image Processor Pro at SourceForge.net

Or it is easy enough to use Adobe Bridge’s Batch Rename tool to bulk rename the output of your batch action:

batch-rename.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stephen, thanks for taking time out of your day as well to help.  Appreciate the tips on how you would do this as well.  The only issue I think I've found with Image Processor is it only resizes the image, and not the canvas, correct?  These are product images with white backgrounds already at 500x500, and we're just adding 250x250 of canvas to them as the product itself is still viewable, and we have a zoom feature.

Did not know about the Bridge feature.  Last night I just wrote a quick .bat file, and fire it off to rename: for %a in (*.jpg) do ren "%~a" "%~na-750x750%~xa".

Would like to streamline our steps as much as possible though.   Will definitely try everything suggested here.  Thanks again, Stephen!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry, I missed the part about padding the image out an extra 250px… The good thing about IPP is that it can also run an action. So if you made an action to add the extra canvas size, IPP it could do everything you need (obviously removing the fit image to 750px bit).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines