• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

creating 3D-looking objects using custom shapes and layer FX ..?

Contributor ,
Nov 14, 2017 Nov 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can anyone explain how to recreate the handle on the left into the shape of the one on the right (I imagine this is cake walk if you understand how to cleanly create custom shapes and know your way around "layer fx")?  Thnx for any help!

Screen Shot 2017-11-14 at 1.28.37 AM.png

FWIW below is the shoddy handle I need to replace:

Screen Shot 2017-11-14 at 1.42.06 AM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 14, 2017 Nov 14, 2017

It's usually best to start with your shape in a vertical or horizontal alignment, and made into a Smart Object.  This lets you make multiple Free Transform operations keeping the handle in the corners.

Smart Object

Ordinary layer after the first transformation.  A real bummer to Transform again.

I think we'll need to do this in two stages, so I have copied the Smart Object again. Then

Free Transform > click on the Warp icon in the Options bar (red highlight) > use the drop down (cyan) and chose Fish

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

here is another similar potential texture etc

textures, shape.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's usually best to start with your shape in a vertical or horizontal alignment, and made into a Smart Object.  This lets you make multiple Free Transform operations keeping the handle in the corners.

Smart Object

Ordinary layer after the first transformation.  A real bummer to Transform again.

I think we'll need to do this in two stages, so I have copied the Smart Object again. Then

Free Transform > click on the Warp icon in the Options bar (red highlight) > use the drop down (cyan) and chose Fish.

If you start with a vertical orientation you'll need to toggle that (green highlight).

Use the handle to control the degree of warp

Fingers crossed because I am not sure this will work

It's looking OK.  FT the first copy of the Smart Object, and choose Warp > Bulge.  I left the already layer turned on so you could see if it matched.

Combine the two layers, fine tune with layer masks.  I also used the smudge tool to smooth the transition a bit more.

Then rotate to fit the magnifying glass bezel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just to add an alternative, I would make it in 3D.

Draw a pen path of half the handle then make a 3D extrusion from that path, set the depth to 0.1px and use the bend property to make a full circular object.

After that it is apply the material to the surface. I have added it to other 3D models to complete the glass below:

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines