• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Send Multiple Layer Selections to Individual Layers?

Contributor ,
Nov 13, 2017 Nov 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forgive me for struggling a bit with terminology .. I'm more an Audition, After Effects and Premiere Pro person.  

I want to cut out several shapes from a single image (there are 49 total) and put each on its own .psd layer. 
I have removed the white background in the image, and with CNTL/Click on the layer thumb each of the 49 is individually selected.
I don't really want to do the "Select/Mask/New Layer" process for each if I could send each selection to individual layers in one command.
Is this possible?

Many thanks for any help you can give.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 14, 2017 Nov 14, 2017

You can also just make a selection and use the keyboard shortcut cmd or control j to "jump" it to a new layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have 49 layers and you want to save each layer to it's own psd file

or

you have one layer and you selected 49 different selections on the same layer and want to move each selection to it's own layer?

If they are already 49 layers, then you could use File>Export>Layers to Files or File>Scripts>Export Layers to Files, depending on your photoshop version.

Some screenshots might illustrate the issue better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 14, 2017 Nov 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I want to cut out several shapes from a single image (there are 49 total) and put each on its own .psd layer. "
---------------
So it's the latter in your question.   I have a single image on a layer, and I want to find a quick way to select specific shapes on that layer and copy each selection I make to their own layers.
I found I could do them all - one at a time.
But I was hoping there's an Action or something that might allow me to make all the selections and then "bulk" copy them to their own layers within the same .psd.
That way I can use the .psd in an After effects composition with the same layer structure for animating.
Thanks for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can also just make a selection and use the keyboard shortcut cmd or control j to "jump" it to a new layer.

Melissa Piccone | Adobe Trainer | Online Courses Author | Fine Artist><br />Melissa Piccone | Adobe Trainer | Pluralsight Author | Fine Artist

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks .... that's what I ended up doing.  And It does work well enough.  I'll learn how to do an "Action" and hopefully will set it up to do multiple layers at once.
But ... we'll see.

Many thanks for the help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 18, 2018 Sep 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

LOVE THIS! Thank you so much!

PS: Command/Control + Shift + J deletes the original the selection

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like you might have one layer and that you want to divide multiple areas of that layer into separate layers. If that is the case, you can make a selection around the area you want to move to a separate layer, then choose Edit > Cut. Next choose Edit > Paste Special > Paste in place. That will paste the pixels onto a new layer without changing the position of the pixels.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Choose File> Automate > Crop and Straighten Photos. (This will give you 49 single images)
  2. Close Photoshop to save each of the individual files
  3. Reopen Ps
  4. Choose File > Scripts > Load Files into Stack
  5. Click the Browse button and choose your files

HTH

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines