• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign Damaged Files – Error code 0/Error code 4

New Here ,
Dec 13, 2016 Dec 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having issues with InDesign. Actually, I've had issues for a long time. My files keep getting damaged. Error code 0 when trying to save, Error code 4 when trying to open damaged files. I am not working from a hard drive or any external storage.

Now, before anyone goes suggesting I update InDesign, I want to say this has happened with CS6, CC 14, CC17 (might have also happened with CS4 and CC15/15.5, but I can't remember for sure). Like I said, I've had this issue for a while. It used to be pretty rare; would only happen maybe once or twice a year. But now, as I just updated to CC 2017, it's happening more frequently.

My question: Does anyone know what causes the files to become damaged? That way, I can figure out how to avoid it in the future.

Bonus question: does anyone know if there is way to fix damaged files?

Would appreciate the help. I haven't been able to find much help elsewhere online...

- Daisy

Screen Shot 2016-12-12 at 7.11.45 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-12-12 at 7.10.59 PM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User
Jan 03, 2018 Jan 03, 2018

I had the same problem but tried Resetting InDesign Preferences (thanks to ​Michael Witherell​). Seems to be working so far...

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/troubleshoot-damaged-indesign-documents.html@

To re-create the InDesign preference files:

1. Quit InDesign.

2. Relaunch InDesign and hold down the appropriate keys for your OS:

Mac OS X: Control+Option+Command+Shift

Windows: Control+Alt+Shift

3. When prompted to delete InDesign preference files, click Yes. InDesign launches with defaults and

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Dec 14, 2016 Dec 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 14, 2016 Dec 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

There are multiple factors both internal and external to InDesign application that can lead to document corruption. However, I can take a look and see if the file can be repaired. Please email your InDesign file to corrupt_indesign_docs@adobe.com and I will take a look at the document.

If the file is larger than 10 Mb, you can zip (and password protect) the file and upload to Creative Cloud account (or Dropbox) and send us the document link.

Regards,

Sanyam Talwar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 21, 2017 Dec 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the exact same problem, but with InDesign CC 2018 (just downloaded last week).  Every file I have modified or created now has either an Error 0 (if it's open) or an Error 4 if it was previously saved, but now won't open.  It's driving me crazy!!!  Please help.  I'm on a Macbook Pro using High Sierra 10.13.1. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 03, 2018 Jan 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem but tried Resetting InDesign Preferences (thanks to ​Michael Witherell​). Seems to be working so far...

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/troubleshoot-damaged-indesign-documents.html@

To re-create the InDesign preference files:

1. Quit InDesign.

3. When prompted to delete InDesign preference files, click Yes. InDesign launches with defaults and regenerated preference files.

Hope this helps!

PrincessDaisy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 07, 2018 May 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It worked for me!

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 25, 2018 Feb 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why is this still happening in 2018 and each time Adobe release an upgrade?

I've had to go through this precedure on too many occassions

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 17, 2017 Jan 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this issue sometimes when I save a file on 1 computer and try open it on a 2nd computer... the file is not damaged!

I found this on another thread that worked on the 2nd computer:

Upgrade to InDesign CC (2017) results in error code 4

Basically...

Restore preferences by holding down the COMMAND + OPTION + CONTRL + SHIFT on restarting the app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 14, 2017 Nov 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 14, 2017 Nov 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what worked for you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 28, 2017 Nov 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yay, thank you this worked for me, it did seem to be due to accessing the file first from one Mac and then on another, all sorted!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 17, 2018 Jan 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me as well (running CC 2018 on macOS High Sierra 10.13.2)

Restore preferences by holding down the COMMAND + OPTION + CONTRL + SHIFT on restarting the app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 09, 2017 Oct 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am currently having the same issue. It is with files that I save and try to open hours later. It is to the point where I can't even open folders to even get to in InDesign file or any file for that matter. It is affecting my class assignments. I do not understand how a file could be damaged if I'm still working on it. I tried to go through my time machine for older files and even they will not open. Can anyone tell me how to fix this?

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2017-10-09 at 12.55.25 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2017 Oct 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same for me. Just updated to CC 2018 and now inDesign files I've just worked in are damaged...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2017 Nov 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm currently having the same issue. I was attempting to save a final revision, it's now midnight and last save was at 1121pm... nothing on my device has changed that I'm aware of. This spontaneously just occurred out of the blue.

I read a few remedies for fixes on CS5, but they haven't worked on here thus far. Any solutions?

Screen Shot 2017-11-14 at 12.01.19 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 08, 2018 Mar 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just found the same issue with ALL of my indesign files bring up the same error message. I hadn't opened these files since updating to CC 2018.

Reset the preferences:

"To re-create the InDesign preference files:

1. Quit InDesign.

3. When prompted to delete InDesign preference files, click Yes. InDesign launches with defaults and regenerated preference files.

Hope this helps!"

PrincessDaisy

This worked and I can now open the originally broken files.

Most helpful post I've ever found. 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 27, 2018 May 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, it worked

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 18, 2018 Jun 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I cant get this to work..   Im on windows but I cant open OS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines