1 2 Previous Next 59 Replies Latest reply on Sep 22, 2018 10:35 AM by rfonto1

MP4 Video Imports Audio Only

chriswyatt25 Level 1

I recently bought a Canon EOS Rebel T6i DSLR camera, and I've been having some issues uploading video from it into Premiere. Currently I'm using Adobe Premiere CS4, but whenever I import the the MP4 video file, it only imports the audio but not the video.

I've looked at a variety of forums to fix this, but so far I've had no luck. I've tried changing the file extension to mov, re-downloading Quicktime, and installed other codecs, but nothing has worked. Any suggestions? Currently I'm using a PC with Windows 7.

• 1. Re: MP4 Video Imports Audio Only
          Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

changing the file extension to mov

Try changing them to mpg.

And on a side note dont every install codecs (unless you need a particular one like mjpeg etc) as they can realy mess up your computer.

• 2. Re: MP4 Video Imports Audio Only
            chriswyatt25 Level 1

I've tried changing them to mpg as well. Same problem.

• 3. Re: MP4 Video Imports Audio Only

I assume the camera is a quite new model, CS4 is quite old.

Could be a codec problem.

Make sure you copy the entire card before importing into Premiere.

Convert with HandBrake see if that will help.

Can you upload a short clip?

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: MP4 Video Imports Audio Only
                chriswyatt25 Level 1

The camera is fairly new, model's just under 2 years old, but fortunately Handbrake worked. The clips upload properly when I run them through the program.

Probably will upgrade to Adobe CC soon, seems to be worth the investment. Thanks for the help!

• 5. Re: MP4 Video Imports Audio Only
                  caroliner74541843 Level 1

I am going crazy to try and find the answer to this. I was using CS6 with my Canon T5i and it read my video files completely fine! Now that I am updated to CC it only imports my files as audio. Everyone one says, re-download QuickTime, or that PP can't read H264 but it was working before and now it won't! This is such BS, this program is expensive. I go through a lot of video, I don't have time to convert each one.

• 6. Re: MP4 Video Imports Audio Only

Clean out media cache and rename top folder the footage is in and try again.

• 7. Re: MP4 Video Imports Audio Only
                      DaveysWorld Level 1

I had this problem with a project I had open over night and just restarted Premiere and reopened my project and importing was working again.  (Note I also cleared cache before restarting, but I do not think it did anything as after cleaning I tried importing with no success)

• 8. Re: MP4 Video Imports Audio Only
                        DaveysWorld Level 1

Now Im having the same problem again and clearing cache/ restarting is no longer working.  Adobe please try and find a fix for this, I am wasting so much time just trying to put video in a video editing program.  Also tried renaming top folder

EDIT:

I figured out the problem, I made a tutorial for everyone and so I can remember in a few months time.

How to fix video import bug to Premiere Pro CC 2017 timeline - YouTube

9 people found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: MP4 Video Imports Audio Only

You should import via the Media Browser instead of dragging from Explorer.

• 10. Re: MP4 Video Imports Audio Only
                            DaveysWorld Level 1

I believe I tried that as well.  It was because the video track line was not selected (showed at start of video)

• 11. Re: MP4 Video Imports Audio Only
                              PatticakesCreates Level 1

Do what davey suggested. Seriously took 5 seconds.

• 12. Re: MP4 Video Imports Audio Only
                                nalitye Level 1

The problem is actually not that but thanks for the info...just incase.

My problem is that when i upload a video file, I only get and audio of the video but not the video.

• 13. Re: MP4 Video Imports Audio Only
                                  DaveysWorld Level 1

I am just rendering a video to upload to youtube for how you should REALLY be importing to Premiere as I write this.  As Ann Bens suggested the media browser is really the big fix.  But even how you use that has a trick to it though as dragging directly from media browser only works with some footage.

@nalitye Just to make sure this is the same problem you are having.  When you say upload a video file, do you mean to Premiere or when you upload your video file to something like youtube?  And more specifically when you try to place video files into your timeline?

EDIT:

Here is the video I just made to stop this problem from happening.  Let me know if this fixes all problems around this area.

This is a replacement for my previous video I posted as it was still not how you SHOULD be using Premiere

How to properly import audio and video to Premiere Pro - YouTube

• 14. Re: MP4 Video Imports Audio Only
                                    Rob Ainscough Level 2

I've just started having the exact same issue, some (not all) of my MP4 video/audio files will only import the Audio??? 

I can select to two MP4 files created from the same source and one will import just fine, the other imports as audio only.  Both files are valid video/audio files and both files will play thru Microsoft's Win 10 video player so I know the files are not the problem and this appears to be specific with Adobe.

Can someone point me to a link where I can submit an official support ticket.   This issue only started happening today 2017.1.2, v11 Oasis.  11.1.2 (22) Build.

Cheers, Rob.

• 15. Re: MP4 Video Imports Audio Only
                                      DaveysWorld Level 1

Hey Rob, did you see the link to the video I created on this issue? It most likely comes down to a import issue.  There is a very specific way I have found to import to get all content types working every time How to properly import audio and video to Premiere Pro - YouTube

• 16. Re: MP4 Video Imports Audio Only
                                        patriciao2725147 Level 1

I just started having the same issue and the fix you posted does not work.  It doesn't matter if I import from the media browser or drag and drop the file to the project.  I can see the video in Windows but it is not imported into my project.  I have 3 other files made at the same time that are fine.

• 17. Re: MP4 Video Imports Audio Only
                                          Rob Ainscough Level 2

Same with me.  This issue has No resolution.  In fact I know it’s an Adobe import problem because when I do the import it will actually crash PP 2017.  Adobe should always be error trapping to catch and handle import problems.  The fact an impor can crash PP is clear indication of a Bug in CC.

In addition, the MP4 video file that has a problem with PP does work just fine in my other editing suites, even Final cut Pro.

Unfortunately Adobe have not acknowledged the problem so I’ve had to move onto other editing suites to get my work done. 

These issue sue started recently with PP new update but without any official response from Adobe my only option is to cancel my subscription.

Cheers, Rob

• 18. Re: MP4 Video Imports Audio Only
                                            emmis42971845 Level 1

I have this problem too. The MP4 videos I've worked with before import ok still, but the latest one doesn't. Has anyone had a response from Adobe? I'm wondering if this is me or a bug.

• 19. Re: MP4 Video Imports Audio Only
                                              emmis42971845 Level 1

Ok, I solved it. I'm a newbie so I'm sure there's another way that I haven't thought about. But after trying all the tips from the helpful people here I was still getting nowhere. Here's what I did:

I right-clicked the MP4 file to view the properties. Under details, I chose Remove properties and personal information. Then I chose to make a copy of the file. And the copy imports nicely to Premiere Pro.

By the way, the video in question is a screen recording by the Windows 10 screen recorder. All the videos recorded in the last couple of months imported as they should, they still do, but the latest ones are causing problems. I tried importing an MP4 video recorded on my phone, worked like a dream. Could it be that the Win 10 screen recorder updates have brought about this problem?

2 people found this helpful
                                              • 20. Re: MP4 Video Imports Audio Only
                                                patriciao2725147 Level 1

I tried this, doesn't work for me, same thing is happening.

• 21. Re: MP4 Video Imports Audio Only
                                                  edh47656834 Level 1

Same here. The file in question is a 6GB Mp4. On my HP Zbook laptop, Premiere imports it fine. On my beefier Dell Precision Workstation Dual Xeon (both machines use Quadros), it's a no-go:

mb.jpg

Using the double-click the file in Media Browser still shows audio only. I've rebooted to no avail. I wonder if this is yet another result of H.264/Quicktime support on multicore machines as posted here:

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2093961

• 22. Re: MP4 Video Imports Audio Only
                                                    Rob Ainscough Level 2

FYI, for anyone interested in finding a resolution to this problem .

After doing considerable experimentation I've discovered what the problem is and why Adobe (and MOVAVI converter Premium) will "sometimes" Import a 4K MP4 video/audio file as Audio Only.

The issue  appears to be that Adobe is looking at the "end of the file" to determine how to import the file.  In my case the recording capture tool I use is Magewell 4k dedicated capture PCIe card.  What appears to be happening is that when I hit the "Stop" button for the Magewell Capture Express software and there is additional audio being mixed in with the recording their will be a very short (as in < 1/10th of second) audio only segment at the end of the video file.

This audio with no matching video segment seems to make Adobe PP think it's an audio ONLY file.  It seems to be making an assumption there will always be a video segment for every audio segment.

How I confirmed this issue is by pausing the source video/audio BEFORE I stopped my capture device (Magewell) from recording.  This solved the import problem in every test case I ran against it.  This also re-enforces the solution I had to one of these files that caused Adobe to CTD, that solution required that I trim the end of the video just a few frames to prevent the CTD on Export.  Again, it was "end of the source video/audio".

So, just in case anyone from Adobe is paying attention (BTW, Adobe NEVER got back to me via their feedback, not really surprised), I would recommend you (Adobe software engineers) improve your Import code to evaluation more than just one or two last segments of the file to determine "type" of content.  This will make the Import process considerably more reliable.

Cheers, Rob.

• 23. Re: MP4 Video Imports Audio Only
                                                      Saimurai Level 1

Hey chriswyatt25, I had the exact same issue, none of the above helped me (working on a Mac). My scenario was importing vimeo and youtube files for a client's newest promo vid. All of them worked but one, i've never had this issue before and i've been doing it for years. For some reason this file only shows Audio in the project, same as you, (not the timeline the source window and bin itself). Tried some of the relevant solutions above and none worked and could not see any difference between this particular file and any of the others. But it was a really simple fix for me, just ran it through a third party convertor (iSkysoft Media Convertor Deluxe), made the output settings HD 1080P (same as it was in the first place) and then dragged and dropped it in directly from the folder on the hard drive straight into the bin folder in the premiere project and; boom. Done. Both Audio and Video. Didn't need media browser or ingesting or anything like that, must've just been a screwy file, alignment of the planets or a glitch in the Matrix. If that doesn't work for you keep asking in here. Let us know when it's solved.

Cheers,

Sai

• 24. Re: MP4 Video Imports Audio Only
                                                        Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

Hi Rob,

Sorry, no improvements will be made to CS6 software any longer.

Cheers,
                                                        Kevin

• 25. Re: MP4 Video Imports Audio Only
                                                          dustinu48187151 Level 1

Hi Kevin have you read the thread?  It would be nice to have a solution to this issue I am having the same issue with mp4 files

• 26. Re: MP4 Video Imports Audio Only
                                                            Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

DustinU,

I took a look. Other than standard troubleshooting techniques, there's really not much I can do to assist users here. Sorry.

Regards,
                                                            Kevin

• 27. Re: MP4 Video Imports Audio Only
                                                              dustinu48187151 Level 1

No suggestion at all? Interesting

• 28. Re: MP4 Video Imports Audio Only
                                                                JeremiahDees Level 1

I'm having the same problem. Drag video/audio files into PP and they only play audio. Adobe has got to fix this. As of right now their software is useless to me.

• 29. Re: MP4 Video Imports Audio Only
                                                                  DaveysWorld Level 1

JeremiahDees If your issues are with dragging and dropping have you checked out the video I posted? How to properly import audio and video to Premiere Pro - YouTube  This solved 99% of my importing problems.  I can almost never get dragging/dropping into PP to work unless I do my first hack fix which I made a video of here as well How to fix video import bug to Premiere Pro CC 2017 timeline - YouTube

• 30. Re: MP4 Video Imports Audio Only
                                                                    Ilgglm Level 1

Thanks!

• 31. Re: MP4 Video Imports Audio Only
                                                                      Rob Ainscough Level 2

Hi Kevin,

My issue was happening with CC 2018 - PP or AE.

I was able to determine the problem ... if the capture device has recorded the footage  with any missing audio timestamp data, PP and AE fail to import the footage.

If Adobe don’t relax their requirements for audio time stamping (most capture device high end or low end will have a few missing audio time stamps In recording) then A LOT of users are going to be very frustrated with Adobe, especially since CC 2017 doesn‘t have this restriction and the restrictions was only introduce in CC 2018.

I‘d recommend Adobe take a serious look at their import process and come up with a working solution or I feel Adobe will lose a lot of customers if they continue to assume all capture devices will have every single audio time stamp in the recorded file.  Perhaps this how Adobe tried to speed up the import and conforming process ... if so, they need to provide a more relaxed option that will slow down imports and conforming but work with more media errors.

Cheers, Rob

• 32. Re: MP4 Video Imports Audio Only
                                                                        shanew84797255 Level 1

I think I found a fix. I ran into a problem that the title of this thread matches up with kind of perfectly. I had several MP4 files captured from a Sony vixia camcorder. When imported into the project, all MP4 files had video and audio except for one. The one just had audio no video. What I did was open VLC player. Hit file, convert/save..., Clicked add, selected the problem file, and selected convert/save at the bottom. Next to the word "profile" is what looks like a drop down box, next to that drop down box is a button with tools on it. If you hover over this button it'll read "edit selected profile". Click that. Go over to video Codec. And under codec choose mpeg-4. Click save, choose file destination, then press start. VLC will then start converting the file. This file imported perfectly into Premiere Pro and I was able to use it. I hope this helps.

2 people found this helpful
                                                                        • 33. Re: MP4 Video Imports Audio Only
                                                                          laAdobe Level 1

DaveysWorld Thank you. Lost hours yesterday trying to figure this out and it was just that simple click at the beginning of your video. Serious gratitude.

• 34. Re: MP4 Video Imports Audio Only
                                                                            jroelof Level 1

THANK YOU DAVEYS

• 35. Re: MP4 Video Imports Audio Only
                                                                              skrinix Level 1

Rob-

My issue with importing video files into PP 2018 falls in line with your conclusion. Sadly no fix from what i can find so far so I reverted to 2017. Hopefully Adobe updates this soon because 2018 is a great update, I just can’t edit raw footage, or convert using media encoder since anything CC2018 is taking .mov as audio only on some clips and video + audio on others... annoying.

Thanks for the investigation though! At least you found the issue!

• 36. Re: MP4 Video Imports Audio Only
                                                                                diegop22390649 Level 1

This the third discussion I replying to and it's getting pretty old. The issue is with cc2018. Some .mp4's will import fine while others will only import audio. Relinking does not work since I always get error messages.

Working on an iMac 4k with 32 gigs and the latest update. This issue only happened after the 2018 update I did last Friday.

I have to say the contributors to this discussion as usual show more initiative and insight than the replies from Adobe.

• 37. Re: MP4 Video Imports Audio Only
                                                                                  gary2yuk Level 1

this happens to me too. some mp4's import fine while others only import the audio.

this only happens on my laptop running El Capitan though. No problems on iMac with Sierra. And then when I import and start a project on the iMac, when I open the project on the laptop, files go missing/unlinked.

Adobe please fix.

• 38. Re: MP4 Video Imports Audio Only
                                                                                    brittnis24984667 Level 1

I can't believe this many people are having the same issue that is obviously an error on Adobe part and they just don't care *sigh* I miss the good old days of Creative Suite....

1 2 Previous Next