• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

JPG and PNG file associations broken with Photoshop CC 2018 update (Windows 7 Professional)

Community Beginner ,
Nov 14, 2017 Nov 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop CC 2018 will not show up in Default Programs list!  Usually, I'd right-click on file, choose "Open With" and pick Photoshop from default programs to amend the file association.  I can open the files through Photoshop > File > Open, but this is tedious compared to the way it SHOULD work. Hoping to find answers... Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Nov 17, 2017 Nov 17, 2017

SUCCESS!  It turns out the problem was Registry Editor.

I found an old article about this problem back in Photoshop CC 2015, and applied the same advice, and it worked.  Thanks to Nancy and Michael, above, for their help, and hopefully this will save a few other users some frustration.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try to change file associations on your PC?

Change file associations. To set File Associations in Windows 10/8/7, Open Control Panel > Control Panel Home > Default Programs > Set Associations. Select a file type in the list and click Change Program. You will be displayed a list of Programs along with a Description and the Current Default.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, actually. When I follow this process, Photoshop does not appear in my Default Programs List. Illustrator, Acrobat and Dreamweaver are there, but no Photoshop.  PS is functioning; I'm able to open, edit and save JPGs or PNG's, but I can't find a way to get it to show up in Default Programs List... That is the root of my problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Click on Other Programs to find the newest Adobe 2018.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/18539/windows-7-change-default-programs

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have, but no love there. Photoshop nowhere to be found in my Programs list, despite running fine.  Sad me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But THANK YOU for trying to help me. This must be some deep rooted system issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you restarted your computer since installing the upgrade?

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 15, 2017 Nov 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I've restarted each day since, hoping for a fix, but no luck yet.  Still no PS in the Default Programs list.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 17, 2017 Nov 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

SUCCESS!  It turns out the problem was Registry Editor.

I found an old article about this problem back in Photoshop CC 2015, and applied the same advice, and it worked.  Thanks to Nancy and Michael, above, for their help, and hopefully this will save a few other users some frustration.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines