• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Click Box Issues

Community Beginner ,
Nov 13, 2017 Nov 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a slide with a background, then 3 captions and on top of those three captions are click boxes which are supposed to direct the user back to different parts of the content. The first two click boxes do not have a pause control, but the third one does. Each of the click boxes have been arranged to bring them in front of the captions, each of them is set to appear on the slide the rest of the slide.

I used transparent click boxes over text captions, because I couldn't get the buttons to look the way I wanted.  

The only one that works is the one set to exit. The ones set to go to prior slides do not work. You can hear the click noise (which I need to turn off), but the content doesn't go anywhere.

I need help with steps on how to troubleshoot this or some ideas on what might be causing the problem.

Thanks in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 14, 2017 Nov 14, 2017

Normally when you convert a shape to a button, a default pause is inserted at 1,5secs. Check in the Timing Properites or on the TImeline of those buttons.

You could have kept the Entrance effects, but make sure that the pausing point is after the end of the Effect.

Careful; you have now only one attempt for those buttons (I would have kept Infinite), and the Last attempt is set to Continue. Set the attempts back to Infinite.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Nov 13, 2017 Nov 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please, click boxes over text captions are the 'old' way of proceeding. WHy don't you uise shape buttons that double as text containers.

As for your issue, can you please insert a screenshot of the timeline?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 14, 2017 Nov 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't use those buttons because I don't like the way they look and I haven't found a way to edit the style on any of them. 

I tried to post a screen print of the timeline but the add media is telling me it can't do it "at this time. try again later." All of the items on the time line, the slide, all three click boxes and all three text captions all reflect the same length of time and occurring simultaneously on the timeline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't use those buttons because I don't like the way they look and I haven't found a way to edit the style on any of them. 

I tried to post a screen print of the timeline but the add media is telling me it can't do it "at this time. try again later." All of the items on the time line, the slide, all three click boxes and all three text captions all reflect the same length of time and occurring simultaneously on the timeline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, don't understand your answer: a shape can be filled with any image, what is to be liked about them since you create the image. Advantage is that you can add a label on it, while image buttons need to have the label in the image. It is your choice, but be aware that fluid boxes don't support click boxes over images.

As for inserting a timeline, better come directly to the Jive forums where you can insert the image much easier using this button:

InsertImage.png

This is your thread in that forum:

Re: Click Box Issues

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

_ScreenPrintTimeLine.png

Here is the timeline from the original project. If this isn't going to work with this configuration I will use something else. However, the limitations on changing the look of other tools is very disappointing.

I did try inserting a shape. There is no way to give it the same style as the text box. I may have to make peace with it just looking crappy, or disjointed, but I don't like the style options available to me at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also haven't found any way to add a caption to the button. I am in the process of reading the help files on buttons.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok - I found a button I can live with. Not crazy about it, but I can edit the style enough to make it something I can live with. It definitely doesn't look at professional as the captions with click boxes, though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will not discuss anymore about shape buttons, since you seem not to understand what I mean by being able to fill a shape with any image, a gradient, a texture, a solid fill. Text styling is exactly the same as for captions including margins. And they can be used on master slides, or timed for the rest of the project which is not possible with any other interactive object, including click boxes.

I see three click boxes that are pausing the slide at its last frame. If those click boxes trigger simple actions, did you uncheck the option Continue Playing the project?

Continue1.png

There is an effect appied to the text caption but not to the click box: which type of effect?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are correct, I apparently don't know how to change the look of the button. I can easily see where to fill the shape with an image, gradient, texture, etc. However, my captions use the default halo blue style. It just happens to be perfect for the background in my content, and I haven't located the ability to duplicate that on a button. Do I need to create a screen print of a caption using halo blue and import that image onto the button? Regardless, I could not get the buttons to work either.

I'm obviously missing something, but I don't know what - this just doesn't seem like it should be very complicated to accomplish.

There is an on entrance effect tied to each caption - See screen print below.

There is no "continue playing the project" option at all.  See screen print below.

_Actions.png_Effect.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can find the images of all captions in the Gallery, you could fill a shape with that image. Up to you... I just tried it out, and works perfectly. You will not get the font style from the caption, but that can be set in the Properties panel of the shape. Ad you'll have one object, you can save it as an object style.

You have a motion effect, this means that the click box will not be over the text caption as long as the effect plays. Another problem that would be solved wiith shape buttons.

That gradient could be created as well in the gradient box, but I will not expand on that.

About the Continue ... not available: with the action you are showing it has no sense, since you are navigating away.

If you don't have it for any action, you are on an old version of Captivate, before 9 if you don't have that option. This means that you'll have to replace all simple actions by standard advanced actions to prevent that the playhead is released when a click box (or button) is clicked. Have a look at this old post (it has also a link to a Youtube video):

Why choose Standard over Simple action? - Captivate blog

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found the image in the gallery. It puts strange guidelines on the image, so I have to figure out how to get rid of those. Thank you for that - Looking in the gallery for things like that is something I haven't gotten used to yet.

It makes sense that the action is still active and preventing the click. I might try just removing the actions to see if the navigation works.

That said, If I am to use buttons (which does make more sense) then this should be stupidly simple. Right now, I just need to walk away from this and work on something else for a while. When I am ready to take a fresh look at it, I'm going to remove everything on that slide and start from scratch, building it just from the button/navigation up. I'm obviously just missing something in the logic.

I appreciate your input.

I have no idea why the continue language is not there. Below is a screen print of the version of captivate I am using.

_version.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uncheck the option 'Tile' when you fill the shape. The image will be stretched which is just fine.

If you are on 2017, you'll have tge option 'Continue' when it makes sense.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - I finally got back to this. I created buttons that look exactly the way I want - thanks for the tip above. My buttons do not have any kind of effect applied at all right now. My issue now is that the slide will not wait for the user to click the button - the audio plays, and the slide transitions without ever given the user a chance to click a button. How do I make a button pause until something is clicked?  I have inserted below the properties on the slide and on each button.

Any help on what I am doing wrong would be greatly appreciated.

1ActionsButtonSlide.png2TimingforButtonSlide.png3ActionsforButton1.png

4ActionsforButtonTwo.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Normally when you convert a shape to a button, a default pause is inserted at 1,5secs. Check in the Timing Properites or on the TImeline of those buttons.

You could have kept the Entrance effects, but make sure that the pausing point is after the end of the Effect.

Careful; you have now only one attempt for those buttons (I would have kept Infinite), and the Last attempt is set to Continue. Set the attempts back to Infinite.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources