• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I use user defined patterns in the Type Tool?

Community Beginner ,
Nov 12, 2017 Nov 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I added a pattern using Edit> Define Pattern. When I select a pattern in either the Pattern Stamp Tool, or the Paint Bucket Pattern, my newly added pattern shows up in the list of values.

When I go to the Type Tool the new pattern does not show as an option.

Does anyone know if and hoe I can use a user defined pattern in the Type Tool?

Thanks in advance!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 13, 2017 Nov 13, 2017

One way is to use a Pattern Fill Layer.

Put a Pattern Fill Layer above your text by going to Layer>New Fill Layer>Pattern and check Use Previous Layer to Create Clipping Mask and click OK.

A clipping mask permits only the text to be filled with a pattern instead of the whole document

patt2.jpg

In the next dialog you can choose the Pattern.

patt.jpg

To change the pattern later, double click on the Pattern Fill Layer icon in the Layers Panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Nov 13, 2017 Nov 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One way is to use a Pattern Fill Layer.

Put a Pattern Fill Layer above your text by going to Layer>New Fill Layer>Pattern and check Use Previous Layer to Create Clipping Mask and click OK.

A clipping mask permits only the text to be filled with a pattern instead of the whole document

patt2.jpg

In the next dialog you can choose the Pattern.

patt.jpg

To change the pattern later, double click on the Pattern Fill Layer icon in the Layers Panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 14, 2017 Nov 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At first I tried it and it didn't give the expected result. Upon closer examination, the layer had a Layer Style applied.

I take it that Layer > New Fill Layer > Pattern does not work when you have a Layer Style applied.

Once I removed the Layer Style it worked as expected

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 14, 2017 Nov 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It should work with most layer styles, but maybe that particular one had a blending mode that hid the pattern.

Was the layer style one that ships with photoshop elements?

If so, do you recall which one it was?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines