• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Content aware fill doesn't fill entire selection.

Explorer ,
Nov 14, 2017 Nov 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use content aware fill a lot. In CS 5 there was no problem.

I recently upgraded to CC 2018. Unfortunately CAF doesn't fill entire selection.

I can't find any solution.

See picture before CAF en after CAF.

.2017-11-14 13.41.29.png2017-11-14 13.41.50.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I tried with your image and did not get as bad a result - although the hair crept into the fill so:

1. Start with a selection around the top - missing the person and copy that to a new layer (Ctrl+J)

2. On the new layer - select the triangles leaving some overlap

3. Shift +F5 and choose content aware

4. Ctrl+D to deselect (and in my example, then turn back on the original layer)

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried this, but no better result.

In CS5 I just had to select the white parts and CAF and done.

Quick and easy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi TomWeyts,

Either of these options may not work, although I wanted to chip in to see if I could help in any way.

My first suggestions which I am fairly sure you will have already tried is to select a much larger selection, although if this doesn't work do the complete reverse and make smaller selections at a time then content-aware fill that way. This way will obviously take much longer, although the desired effect may look much better. 

If you decide to content-aware fill in much smaller areas, I would suggest duplicating your layer then creating a mask and painting out all of the areas you don't want to be seen in your content aware such as skin and hair tones.

I hope this helps in some way, any questions I'll hope to respond ASAP.

Cheers,Alex

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also tried smaller selections. Same problem.

In CS5 I just had to select the white parts and CAF and done.

Quick and easy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the feeling it's some kind of preference...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can try resetting your preferences (Preferences >General> Reset Preferences on quit then close and restart Photoshop)

Also, if you have not already done so , try updating to todays released update to CC2018. I have not seen your issue in v19.0, but if you are going to reset things , you may as well upgrade and be rid of other known bugs.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 15, 2017 Nov 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Resetting the preferences seems to have done the trick.

But know we don't know what caused the issue. But it works again as it should.

So thank you guys for helping out.

I will do some more tests to see if it's completely solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 15, 2017 Nov 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Strange things happening. I did some tests.

1. I opened a picture rotate it, enlarge canvas. I get white areas. I select the white areas and CAF and it works like it should.

2. I open the same original picture rotate it, enlarge canvas, select an oval shape, make a path.

Again I select the white areas and CAF the white areas and it does the same thing like the picture above (first post)??? CAF doesn't fill entire selection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 16, 2017 Nov 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I deleted all my oval selection tool presets and made new ones.

This didn't solve my problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 16, 2017 Nov 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If I make the background layer into a normal layer (in this case the white areas are transparent) the CAF works as it should.

It's kind of an solution for me, but I still wonder why it doesn't work as it should.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey TomWeyts,

If you message me on my Adobe profile through the messenger, we can arrange for you to send me your project file over WeTransfer and I can check if this issue is equally the same on mine.

Cheers,

Alex

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines