• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I get by Editor/Expert features back?

Participant ,
Nov 15, 2017 Nov 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

First, my apologies for posting the same stuff twice.  I'm new here and didn't notice that there was no title to my post.  Who knows . . .  maybe it only got posted once.  But . . . I doubt it.  Anyway . . . a little help please.

I really do have ADD, I'm not joking.  I have had PSE 15 for about 6 months.   I have put about 20,000 images in it (I know, thumbnails that point to the image).

Here is my problem.  While scrolling through my one and only catalog I got sick of seeing the things that comprise most of the stuff that is in the bottom right-hand side when one is in Editor/Expert mode.  Stuff such as, layers, effects, filters, etc.  I figured I would never use them and often times I would have to scroll through hundreds of them to look at MY PICTURES.  I figured, 'toss them in the trash!  Delete them.  I'll never use them and they slow me down as I try to find my favorite photos to enhance."  Dumb move.

Now, I regret doing the above.  For example, some of the frames really help compliment the look of some of my photos.  Is there a way to get all of that 'stuff' back without having to reinstall my copy of PSE 15?  I have done thousands of edits and made several slide shows.   I have tagged thousands of images.  I am disabled and do not work.  So, PSE 15 was my 'job'.   I think I just got 'fired'.  Grin. I would hate to have to lose all of my previous 'work' to get the 'goodies' that I deleted.

So . . . I was wondering . . .  can I put all my current work into a file/folder of some type. . . and then delete and reinstall a clean copy of PSE 15 (I don't have to buy it again do I?  I can still use my previously purchased version - correct?).  And then, import the items that were in said file back into the clean install of PSE 15?

Finally, lets say I was able to do the above, is there a way to keep that stuff (the bottom right hand-side of Editor/Expert mode) OUT of my images catalog . . . so I can quickly scroll through my pictures without wading through a 'sea of effects' stuff that I might use some day?

Thanks in advance!

Dean

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 16, 2017 Nov 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dean,

I don't think there is much harm to your files and catalog.

My guess is that you need to take some time to master the user interface.

Go to the online help file, read the interface help and possible videos on the subject.

You'll find tips about the way to set your panels, show or hide the panels and organize your own workspace.

For instance a single keystroke on the 'tab' key will hide and display the lateral panels...

Once you better know your problem, come back here for more guidance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Michel,

Thank your for your reply.

I have watched and own Guru and Simon Siez and several books on PSE 15.  So, I don't like resources.  What I do lack is patience.  I got sick of seeing all of those textures, frames, etc in my catalog.  It was slowing me down as I wanted to look at my JPG's.  I'm pretty sure I trashed out that section.  It is pretty easy to highlight a large section (200-300 items at a time) and then hit the delete button.

"Do you want this items removed from your hard drive also?"

YES!

Then I went to my Recycle Bin.  Control Plus All -- DELETE.

Gone.

So, nothing personal but I do not think this is an 'answered question' yet.  An answer would be 'how do I get those deleted files back?' and  'Is the only way to do so, is to reinstall PSE 15?"

Here is another example of how/why I think most of the items in Expert Editor/effects are gone.  I go to 'Effects'.  I use the drop down carrot to go to "Seasons".  All I have here is 4 icons.  All four are of a dog.  I kept the dog ones when on my 'delete craze' because I know my daughters enjoy dogs and thought they might use that effect sometime.

Same deal as above, this time I go to "Panels".  I only have six icons showing.  And they are all the same.  A sunset.  For the same reason as why my dog ones are all the same in the paragraph above this one.

Continue the above pattern . . . I got to 'Filters' then 'Render' -- and I only have 4 items.

I go to 'Styles', then 'Visibility' and I only have 2 icons.  One a gray square.  The other a black square.

I think I really messed it up.

Your thoughts?

Do you have a 'test' or two that you would like me to try to confirm that it is either 'fine' or 'messed up'?

Thank you.

Dean

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dean,

My problem is that I don't understand what you have been doing:

Here is my problem.  While scrolling through my one and only catalog I got sick of seeing the things that comprise most of the stuff that is in the bottom right-hand side when one is in Editor/Expert mode.  Stuff such as, layers, effects, filters, etc.  I figured I would never use them and often times I would have to scroll through hundreds of them to look at MY PICTURES.  I figured, 'toss them in the trash!  Delete them.  I'll never use them and they slow me down as I try to find my favorite photos to enhance."  Dumb move.

I first thought your problem was to hide features and panels you don't want to use to get a clean display. That can be achieved with shortcuts or display custom settings; it appears you have not hidden (you have enough help sources), but physically deleted media files like frames and textures not only from your catalog, but also from your drive.

Re-installing the software would not be so difficult, but if you are asking for my thoughts:

- The items you deleted from drive were possibly showing in your catalog; they should not have been imported unless you have imported "in bulk" from your computer. In that case, selecting them and deleting them from the catalog, but NOT from disk would have made them disappear from the catalog.

- If you delete those kinds of assets from disk, there may be a way to rebuild the 'media cache'. I don't remember where it is stored, but I think that could be a way to recover your missing asset files. I'll look for it, but other users may help you to find it. That takes some time (minutes...) but that would be faster than re-installing the software.

- A reinstall does not change your catalog: if it has unwanted asset files, they should appear after reinstallation. You can delete them from catalog, not from disk. If the files have been deleted from catalog and disk, all is well; the catalog is clean and your assets will be available.

Edit:

To delete the mediadatabase, you'll have to find the file named "MediaDatabase.db3" and delete it. Restart Elements and wait for the cache to be rebuilt (several minutes).

You should find that file in

- ProgramData

- Adobe

- Photoshop Elements

- locale

- fr_FR for me, your locale...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I first thought your problem was to hide features and panels you don't want to use to get a clean display. That can be achieved with shortcuts or display custom settings; it appears you have not hidden (you have enough help sources), but physically deleted media files like frames and textures not only from your catalog, but also from your drive.   

*****Yes, the above is correct.

Re-installing the software would not be so difficult, but if you are asking for my thoughts:

- The items you deleted from drive were possibly showing in your catalog;

*******  This is what happened.

they should not have been imported unless you have imported "in bulk" from your computer. In that case, selecting them and deleting them from the catalog, but NOT from disk would have made them disappear from the catalog.

*** When I first got started, I did a standard, ‘follow the directions’ – install.  Once it was on my PC and the first time I booted it up, it took all the pics and such from my PC’s Picture folder and asked me something like, “Do you want us to import your items, from your PC, into PSE?”  And of course I said, “YES”.  I can’t remember exactly how it went.  But I was simply following what appeared to be standard starting PSE.

- If you delete those kinds of assets from disk,

**** Yes, I am pretty sure that I deleted those kinds of assets from my PC’s HD.

there may be a way to rebuild the 'media cache'. I don't remember where it is stored, but I think that could be a way to recover your missing asset files.

******* Yeah.  A sliver of hope for my stupidity.  Thank you for your time and patience with me.  Both are very much appreciated.

I'll look for it, but other users may help you to find it. That takes some time (minutes...) but that would be faster than re-installing the software.

***** Sounds like a great plan if we can FIND the assets AND then be able to reinstall them back into PSE without causing any harm to the PSE that is already installed on my PC.

- A reinstall does not change your catalog: if it has unwanted asset files, they should appear after reinstallation. You can delete them from catalog, not from disk. If the files have been deleted from catalog and disk, all is well; the catalog is clean and your assets will be available.

***** Wow.  This is starting to really sound hopeful (contingent upon me actually finding my PSE installation disk – bad joke . . . a ADD thing.  I’m 95% sure I will be able to find the install disk).

***** Before doing a reinstall, should I UNINSTALL what is currently PSE on my PC?

***** Maybe a ‘fresh, new start’ is the best thing for me anyway.  I am not even able to put my favorite pics into a simple file or album . . . I rush ahead and ‘learn’ hit and miss rather than systematically.  I have since found out the hard way, not a good thing to do with top-end programs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok... It's late here in Paris, and I think I should think about it tonight before starting to get confused.

I am sure you are on the right track. See my edit about removing the mediadatabase.db3 file. That would avoid any reinstallation.

See if that solves your problem, at least partly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Michel.  This problem plus the other problem (getting a group of one's favorite pics together) is about all the Adobe I can stand for this week.  UGH.

Really the Photo Editor that is free with Win 10 handles 95% of my photography needs with no problems!

As I imagine you are aware of . . . there are at least 7 types of intelligences.  Apparently I lack the ones that allow for a person to buy, use and ENJOY PSE!!!

UGH!

Thanks for all your help and if you have a recommendation for a freeware Editor or one that is not costly and easier to use than Elements, I would be interested in learning about it.

I also have copies of PSE 9 and PSE 2.  I have not used them yet.  Ebay purchases.  Therefore, they might not work.  But for the moment . . . I have had it up to here with PSE 15.  I have been using PC's for about 30 years.  I taught public schools for 25 years.  Therefore, I have a college degree.  There are some neat things in PSE 15 I have learned . . . . but it has been too much of '2 steps forward' . . . '10 steps back. . . .'

Thank you again Michel for all you help.

Dean

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 17, 2017 Nov 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

deanw0507  wrote

Thanks for all your help and if you have a recommendation for a freeware Editor or one that is not costly and easier to use than Elements, I would be interested in learning about it.

There are many free editors or organizers. Some are powerful, but not easier than Elements, GIMP for instance.

I do use FastStone Image Viewer and FastStone Photo resizer together with Elements; a nice complement for Elements for some features and it could be all you really need. Other suggestions: Irfanview, Viewnx... maybe the software bundled with your camera...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 18, 2017 Nov 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Michel wrote:

There are many free editors or organizers. Some are powerful, but not easier than Elements, GIMP for instance.

I do use FastStone Image Viewer and FastStone Photo resizer together with Elements; a nice complement for Elements for some features and it could be all you really need. Other suggestions: Irfanview, Viewnx... maybe the software bundled with your camera...

^^^ Very helpful!  Thank you much Michel.  I have used and liked Irfanview for years.  I have just used it to view pics.  Can editing be done with Irfanview?  Via your comment with your second sentence above, ('. . . but not easier than Elements'), I see my need to keep plugging away to gain more knowledge and thus better usability for me by sticking with Elements.  Thanks again.  Dean

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines