• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Which is more important for editing, CPU or GPU?

New Here ,
Nov 15, 2017 Nov 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am torn between buying an older i7 (3rd gen) with the intel 4000 graphics card, or buying an i5 (4th gen) with a basic Intel Iris graphics card. I am editing on a 1080p monitor, and doing some work with 4k footage... Both systems have 16gb ram, and similar specs all around. The multi-core performance on the i7 is twice as fast as the i5, even though it is 1 generation older.

For editing in premiere is it more important to have more cores? Or is it ideal to sacrifice half of the computing power for a better gpu?

Thank you!

[Moderator note: moved to best forum.]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Faster CPUs with more cores are better than GPUs. Multiple CPUs — even better. Video encoding and editing is a CPU intensive process. That being said, having a good GPU will aid in encoding GPU accelerated effects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found this guide really helpful, though you don't have to go for the recommended CPUs metioned, it's a good place to look if you were building the ideal workstation today that still balances budget: https://www.pugetsystems.com/recommended/Recommended-Systems-for-Adobe-Premiere-Pro-143/Hardware-Rec...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you considered some of the new AMD Ryzen CPU's you will get more CPU horsepower per dollar   What is your ballpark price range?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In this case, both CPU and GPU are almost equally important. You see, you chose two outdated, old-generation CPUs with woefully inadequate integrated graphics processors that actually make even an 18-core, 36-thread CPU excruciatingly sluggish. And if your choices are laptop (rather than desktop) configurations, beware that all Haswell-generation mobile i5s, as well as some mobile i7s of any generation up to and including Kaby Lake, are only dual-core CPUs. And no dual-core CPU, even with hyperthreading, is as powerful as even a mediocre same-generation quad-core CPU, let alone a high-end CPU.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 06, 2022 Feb 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I know this is an older post but thought I would shed a little light on some things to consider.  I was looking for an answer to a different question.  So are all Ghtz the same - nope!  You cannot compare a processor running at 3 Ghtz in generation 5 vs generation 8.  Why is that?  Well there are a number of factors, later processors can have more and faster cache memory so faster to the next step.  The internal coding (what use to be called microcode) can be improved so that multiple procedures can be executed in a single cycle, denser circuits mean shorter distance for signals to travel (yes it is a short time but there are difference - see 3D memory), busses get bigger - you get the idea.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines